• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

I Give Up. Why Can't People Connect to My Server?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

discohadestwo

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

I ran a Minecraft server for several months. I just formatted my computer & had to re-install everything.

Since then, I haven't been able to get my server working. I can connect using "localhost", but no one else can connect, whether they're on my network or not. I've been at this for a long time. I'm hoping more eyes will help me out somehow. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly. I've tried disabling my firewall. I've disabled the port forwarding & re-enabled it. I've tried different ports, making sure to change them in the server properties as well. I don't know what else I can do.

When I check "www.canyouseeme.org", I get:
Error: I could not see your service on 71.205.xxx.xx on port (25565)
Reason: Connection timed out.

Here are my settings. Let me know if you need anything else. I know there's a lot of people out there having this problem & I'm just one more on the list, but none of the other things I've read seem to help.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for your time!

Register or log in to remove.

hunter248

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

so that
71.205.xxx.xx is your IP adress going out of your wireless router right ?

some other stuff to know: hosting on a wireless network is not recommended its hard and can be unstable the most common way to do this is use hamachi although i do not recommend that program but it will solve the problem... however if you have a spare switch/router thats is in your network you can just plug it in there

discohadestwo

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Posthunter248, on 16 June 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

so that
71.205.xxx.xx is your IP adress going out of your wireless router right ?

some other stuff to know: hosting on a wireless network is not recommended its hard and can be unstable the most common way to do this is use hamachi although i do not recommend that program but it will solve the problem... however if you have a spare switch/router thats is in your network you can just plug it in there

That IP address is the exact same one I was using months ago. I confirmed this on my wife's laptop. She had that same IP entered into the Minecraft server list.

I have a wireless router, but I'm using a wired connection with this computer. This is actually different than my old setup that worked. Previously, I just used the wireless connection. Could that be the problem?

hunter248

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

what is your current IP then ? is it a 192.168.x.x ? or a different one ?
and yes it could be so many things can be the bad guy at this moment if you understand me..

discohadestwo

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

It's a 192.168.x.x

hunter248

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

View Postdiscohadestwo, on 16 June 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

It's a 192.168.x.x

an IP like that is standard for wireless routers but what I'm thinking right now is how can your old IP adress from your router be the same as the old one if you unplug a router just for a few mins the IP can change from it try looking the IP adress up again IP adresses within a non-wireless network tend to change a lot...

discohadestwo

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

View Posthunter248, on 16 June 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

an IP like that is standard for wireless routers but what I'm thinking right now is how can your old IP adress from your router be the same as the old one if you unplug a router just for a few mins the IP can change from it try looking the IP adress up again IP adresses within a non-wireless network tend to change a lot...

If I google "what is my IP?" or if I go to "whatismyipaddress.com", they all say the exact same thing.

discohadestwo

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

Does this make any sense to anyone?
It clearly says I'm forwarding the port, but it's still closed. Firewall or no firewall.

On top of that, it worked before. I don't get it. This is the pits. :(

discohadestwo

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Three days & I still can't figure this out. Can anybody give me any other ideas? This is a huge bummer.

hunter248

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

if you rly cant get it to work you can always use hamachi...

cuz im giving up now 2 i was never able to host on a wireless router neither have my friends ever been able to...

go get a switch in the store its like 10 to 15 euro plug it in b4 your wireless router, then plug in your server there, llokup IP, fill it in... done

Fortifier41

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hi discohadestwo,
If you open Command Prompt and type IPConfig, your IPv4 Address is your internal address. Unless you have set a STATIC address, this may change each time you restart your server, even though you have set starting IP's to 192.168.1.101
Posted Image

thecamwars10

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

people cant connict to my server too >:(Posted Image

Kuppell
    Kuppell

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

Problems + solutions (check them all):

Multiple routers means multiple port forwarding look for it on the internet.

Ip-adress in server.properties must be the Ip4 adress from your lan

canyouseemee only works when there is a program active that uses that port. (So start the minecraft server, because canyouseeme connects to that port. If there aint a program using the port, the port is inactive, so off.)

You cant use the external ip adress to try if you can join your server when your on the same computer as the server.
External means external, you cant get on the internet and go back inmediatly, that's why you have an ip4 adress.

IMPORTANT! BE SURE YOUR Ip4 ADRES IS STATIC! THAT MEANS THAT IP (192.168.***.***) IS RESERVED FOR YOU ONLY.
SO WHEN YOU RESTART THE COMPUTER YOU GOT THE SAME Ip4 ADRESS
GOOGLE -> How To Set Up a Static IP Address

Drink lots of beer and waste your time on youtube watching how to create a minecraft server.

1 question, can you join your server when it's on?

dafuckk
    dafuckk

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

View Postdiscohadestwo, on 17 June 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

Does this make any sense to anyone?
It clearly says I'm forwarding the port, but it's still closed. Firewall or no firewall.

On top of that, it worked before. I don't get it. This is the pits. Posted Image

if it worked before then you might have to update your router :P