Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

12w24a LAN Not Working...(Mac & PC)


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1

The8BitMonkey
  • Location: Middlesbrough UK
  • Minecraft: The8BitMonkey

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Ok so im having some problems with the LAN feature, heres what i've done.

Me and my housemate both downloaded the new snapshot, im running Mac he's running PC.

we opened up minecraft and i started a server by typing /publish to which it gave me a message with the local ip MonkeyBook.local:3145

My housemate entered this IP into the direct connect window and was given a message "failed to connect to server, unknown host "MonkeyBook.local""

we then tried making a server on his PC for me to connect to and it gave us the IP Brys-PC:3521

I went to direct connect and it gave me the message "failed to connect to server, unknown "host Brys-PC""

Im not sure what it is im doing wrong but i would be grateful if someone might be able to help me with this issue, thank you.

Posted Image


Register or log in to remove.

#2

BENJYJEFFIS!#

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

try Brys:3521
Posted Image

#3

starlinvf
    starlinvf

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3169 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

Its not going to work because you can't resolve the host names of those other systems.... basic DNS stuff.   But right now the game binds to a localhost address (looks like 127.0.1.1), which isn't routable on any network.  

Some people have mentioned a workaround using a VPN session running between the 2 systems, but I can't recall any posts with instructions  on how they got it working.

#4

The8BitMonkey
  • Location: Middlesbrough UK
  • Minecraft: The8BitMonkey

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

View Poststarlinvf, on 16 June 2012 - 04:49 AM, said:

Its not going to work because you can't resolve the host names of those other systems.... basic DNS stuff.   But right now the game binds to a localhost address (looks like 127.0.1.1), which isn't routable on any network.  

Some people have mentioned a workaround using a VPN session running between the 2 systems, but I can't recall any posts with instructions  on how they got it working.

so does that mean that it wont work no matter it was PC to PC, Mac to Mac or Linux to Linux as well? i know people have got it working with 2 accounts on 1 computer but obviously as its local and not going through the router at all it will work perfectly.

im guess since its still in beta there are some things that need to be worked out, just a matter of time :)

Posted Image


#5

umdesch4
    umdesch4

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

I had the same problem today too. Macbook and PC behind the same router, using 12w26a snapshot of Minecraft.

I got it working with the world on the Macbook being opened to LAN, and the PC connecting to it. It seems that even though Minecraft can see the LAN world, and comes up with a name for the machine hosting it, that name isn't something that can be resolved by DNS. So you have to trick Windows into bypassing DNS for the machine, and forcing it where you want to.

The way to do this is to find you "hosts" file. On my Windows 7 machine, this was C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

All I did was add a line that said:

192.168.0.199   My-MacBook-Pro.local

...and it pretty much instantly worked. All you need to do is grab the name that shows up in your "Unknown Host" line, and the IP address, which we got pretty quickly by running "ifconfig" from a terminal window on the Mac.

For more details on editing the hosts file (there are some potential pitfalls), see this:
http://helpdeskgeek....s-7-hosts-file/

Hope that helps!

#6

robizzle
    robizzle

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 1022 posts
  • Location: Toostrong, AZ
  • Minecraft: BIGROBizzle
  • Xbox:BIGROBizzle

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

View Postumdesch4, on 30 June 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

I had the same problem today too. Macbook and PC behind the same router, using 12w26a snapshot of Minecraft.

I got it working with the world on the Macbook being opened to LAN, and the PC connecting to it. It seems that even though Minecraft can see the LAN world, and comes up with a name for the machine hosting it, that name isn't something that can be resolved by DNS. So you have to trick Windows into bypassing DNS for the machine, and forcing it where you want to.

The way to do this is to find you "hosts" file. On my Windows 7 machine, this was C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

All I did was add a line that said:

192.168.0.199   My-MacBook-Pro.local

...and it pretty much instantly worked. All you need to do is grab the name that shows up in your "Unknown Host" line, and the IP address, which we got pretty quickly by running "ifconfig" from a terminal window on the Mac.

For more details on editing the hosts file (there are some potential pitfalls), see this:
http://helpdeskgeek....s-7-hosts-file/

Hope that helps!
This would be very helpful to more people if you started a new thread. 1+ for you even though I don't need this fix.
Posted Image

#7

LutherFallangel
  • Minecraft: LutherFallangel

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

You should try the 12w26a snapshot. It should work ALOT better.
Posted Image

#8

LutherFallangel
  • Minecraft: LutherFallangel

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

EDIT= *Accidental double post.*
Posted Image

#9

megalarsje2000

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

View Postumdesch4, on 30 June 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

I had the same problem today too. Macbook and PC behind the same router, using 12w26a snapshot of Minecraft.

I got it working with the world on the Macbook being opened to LAN, and the PC connecting to it. It seems that even though Minecraft can see the LAN world, and comes up with a name for the machine hosting it, that name isn't something that can be resolved by DNS. So you have to trick Windows into bypassing DNS for the machine, and forcing it where you want to.

The way to do this is to find you "hosts" file. On my Windows 7 machine, this was C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

All I did was add a line that said:

192.168.0.199   My-MacBook-Pro.local

...and it pretty much instantly worked. All you need to do is grab the name that shows up in your "Unknown Host" line, and the IP address, which we got pretty quickly by running "ifconfig" from a terminal window on the Mac.

For more details on editing the hosts file (there are some potential pitfalls), see this:
http://helpdeskgeek....s-7-hosts-file/

Hope that helps!
When i try to join my brothers server the only thing that shows up is: Failed to connect to the server Connection timed out: connect

#10

imclueless17

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

View Postmegalarsje2000, on 01 August 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

When i try to join my brothers server the only thing that shows up is: Failed to connect to the server Connection timed out: connect
U both need to forward ur ports. I think its 25565.