• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do you tell the layer's, to find dimonds?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

ImBoard
    ImBoard

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Dumb Q. but how do you tell layers, i have herd people talking about them, by the way new to minecraft!
Is each layer a 1x1 block or 1x2 like the size of the char.

Register or log in to remove.

PewP3r
    PewP3r

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox:PewP3r

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Each layer is like a sammich... horizontal, 1 block deep layers. If you want to know what layer you're on, numerically speaking, the only way is to hit rock-bottom and count your way up. Bedrock is the bottom-most 2 layers, so count up from there. Diamond is most common from layer 16 down.

Madman340

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostPewP3r, on 07 June 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

Each layer is like a sammich... horizontal, 1 block deep layers. If you want to know what layer you're on, numerically speaking, the only way is to hit rock-bottom and count your way up. Bedrock is the bottom-most 2 layers, so count up from there. Diamond is most common from layer 16 down.

Bedrock can be found on layers 1-4, not just 1 and 2. So count up from 5. I usually go a couple higher just in case.

slackathor

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

sorry, I think I was responding to the wrong post. Edited my sarcastic comment out.

If you dig down to bedrock, dig around a little to make sure that you are looking at the very top layer of bedrock. That is level 5. Count up five blocks to get your feet at level ten where the lava is. Most diamonds will be between layer 10 and 15 or 16. Some can be found lower than level 10, but is it worth tunnelling into lava? Not really. If you do a two block high strip mine consisting of 2 floors, you will find 85-90% of the diamonds available.
I'm bored.
This thread bores me.

PewP3r
    PewP3r

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostMadman340, on 07 June 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Bedrock can be found on layers 1-4, not just 1 and 2. So count up from 5. I usually go a couple higher just in case.

I thought so too until I was recently corrected. Apparently, there's only 2 blocks on MC360. Check it out. Could be I was told wrong... Haven't read anything definite and not sure how to prove it.

Madman340

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostPewP3r, on 07 June 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

I thought so too until I was recently corrected. Apparently, there's only 2 blocks on MC360. Check it out. Could be I was told wrong, but seems like the evidence is pretty solid.

What evidence? It's a very small thread with somebody claiming it's 2 deep. I personally have a mine and have uncovered more than 2 deep of bedrock.

I will have to double check though, I might of been on PC at that point.

Shishkab0b
  • Minecraft: ShishkaB0B
  • Xbox:shiskab0b

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

If you are mining and you come accross a lava pool, you are pretty close. I try to stay on this sae level and usually do pretty well. :)

slackathor

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostShishkab0b, on 07 June 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

If you are mining and you come accross a lava pool, you are pretty close. I try to stay on this sae level and usually do pretty well. Posted Image

Considering Minecraft 1.6 has surface pools of lava, digging to bedrock and counting up 5 layers makes more sense.
I'm bored.
This thread bores me.

Syandicate
  • Minecraft: DeliriousCraft
  • Xbox:KingDx45

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

I dig down to bedrock, then go 5 blocks up and start branch mining.
Just my way.

unoleian

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

View Postslackathor, on 07 June 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

Considering Minecraft 1.6 has surface pools of lava, digging to bedrock and counting up 5 layers makes more sense.

If you've been digging or travelling downward for ages and you confront a pool of lava, it's a pretty safe assumption you've found the right depth.

Though, admittedly, I did usually keep going just to make sure. Almost invariably hit bedrock almost right away, so pretty much stopped doing that after a while.

CDarklock
  • Xbox:CDarklock

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostMadman340, on 07 June 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

I personally have a mine and have uncovered more than 2 deep of bedrock.

I've experimented with dozens of seeds, dug all the way down to bedrock in every one of them, and never found more than two layers. That's not to say it's impossible... I do tend to dig on the edges of the map, and there may be more bedrock toward the centre... but my experience bears out the "two layers of bedrock" bit.

EDIT: And for the OP... I personally have been counting 52 layers down from sea level. I start my mines next to a beach or lake shore, and dig a staircase down three steps before placing a torch. I continue this until I've placed 17 torches, then go one more step and mine on that level.

Darkmagic101

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

wouldnt the easier way and more accurate be to use dirt to go to the top layer and count down then subtract the count by max layers to get the layer that you are on... nvmd that sounds like a pain now.
"If it already has been done then it can be done again"  or
"If its a mod its possible to be a feature"

CDarklock
  • Xbox:CDarklock

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostDarkmagic101, on 08 June 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

wouldnt the easier way and more accurate be to use dirt to go to the top layer and count down then subtract the count by max layers to get the layer that you are on... nvmd that sounds like a pain now.

The easier way is to understand that when you are standing next to the ocean or most lakes:

O <- Your head is 64 levels above the bottom
X <- Your body is 63 levels above the bottom
- <- The ground you are standing on (and the water on the top layer of the ocean) is 62 levels above the bottom

This does not require you to actually do anything except find the beach.

PewP3r
    PewP3r

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

What evidence? It's a very small thread with somebody claiming it's 2 deep. I personally have a mine and have uncovered more than 2 deep of bedrock.

No evidence. I tried to edit my post and remove that claim, but apparently I was too late :o The only "evidence" I have is a couple people who msg'd me and this online post. I'll go poke around my mines as well and see what I come up with.

Lt_JimDangle9II

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

I hit bedrock and strip mine fer days

blackdart2
  • Minecraft: Blackdart2

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

i had the same question but how to read F3 so look at that until you see layer 12

Deathwatch27

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Easyist way to find out what level your on is to bring a map, it will give your excact coordinatates x,y and z. I think the Y axies is for height.

Rexaryinou

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Postslackathor, on 07 June 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

sorry, I think I was responding to the wrong post. Edited my sarcastic comment out.

If you dig down to bedrock, dig around a little to make sure that you are looking at the very top layer of bedrock. That is level 5. Count up five blocks to get your feet at level ten where the lava is. Most diamonds will be between layer 10 and 15 or 16. Some can be found lower than level 10, but is it worth tunnelling into lava? Not really. If you do a two block high strip mine consisting of 2 floors, you will find 85-90% of the diamonds available.

I was clearing out a giant lava pool for a slime farm and discovered diamonds in one spot about 3 layers INTO the lava and in the middle of the pool. odd place for it if you ask me lol

View PostPewP3r, on 07 June 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

I thought so too until I was recently corrected. Apparently, there's only 2 blocks on MC360. Check it out. Could be I was told wrong... Haven't read anything definite and not sure how to prove it.

View PostCDarklock, on 08 June 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

I've experimented with dozens of seeds, dug all the way down to bedrock in every one of them, and never found more than two layers. That's not to say it's impossible... I do tend to dig on the edges of the map, and there may be more bedrock toward the centre... but my experience bears out the "two layers of bedrock" bit.

I'm on the Dead Mau5 seed and I can provide coords where bedrock is 5 deep. the slime farm I mentioned above is on layer 5 because that's where the floor is peppered with bedrock(s).

kyi2604
    kyi2604

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

The most easiest way to tell what layer you are on is to check out the y co-odinate on top of the map.  Thats exactly what layer you are in.

iTz_Hammeh

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

View Postkyi2604, on 24 July 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

The most easiest way to tell what layer you are on is to check out the y co-odinate on top of the map.  Thats exactly what layer you are in.

This is, by far, the most easiest way to tell what layer you are on.
iTz_Hammeh wuz here