• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft Texture Packs, Worldsave Options in the Curse Client!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Sacheverell

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

Curse has an exciting announcement to make -- Minecraft texture packs that do not require any sort of patching (such as MCPatcher) are now ready for use in the Curse Client!

Posted Image

For users, this now means you can easily test installing Minecraft texture packs via one-click installs, and no more shady or confusing links!  Any and all texture packs that have been uploaded to Bukkit that do not require patching will be automatically available for testing!  

Click here Download the Curse Client for free!

Even better for texture pack makers, you can not only reach a wider audience, but you can now give your users a trusted link!  On top of that, any project that has over 1,000 downloads will net you free Curse Premium, which will give you an ad-free experience on all of our sites and much, much more on Minecraft Forum.  Just remember that currently in order for your texture pack to be supported by the Client, it must be a 16x pack that does not need a patcher, such as MCPatcher.

Uploading to Bukkit is easy!  If you require any assistance, you can refer to this handy tutorial on both how to package and upload your creations to Bukkit.  If you're interested in creating texture packs but don't know where to start, check out this rather all-inclusive FAQ!

Register or log in to remove.

xXStividinhoXx

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Nice ;)

The_Fool76
    The_Fool76

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3032 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Ooh interesting.  Now I have even more reason to finally get around to getting all my packs back up to date.  Free curse premium! >_>
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.
Posted Image

Grugsy
    Grugsy

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3180 posts
  • Minecraft: Grugsy
  • Xbox:Grugsy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

as long as higher resolution packs are supported after this beta test... I'm all for it... have been since MC moved to Curse. this is an excellent move.
Posted Image

Balduran
    Balduran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • Minecraft: Lol, No

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

Yeeah, i'll stay with the default client. I don't trust any custom ones.
...But that's just my opinion.
My modder's resource and assortment of miscellaneous textures.
Status: Fed up with Minecraft [Consult the above link for details]
My DeviantART, requests welcome.

CrEaTiVe_ONE
  • Minecraft: CrEaTiVe_ONE

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

but now how are texturepack artist gonna get their monies for their texturepack? i spend alot of hours per day on my pack and i use adfly, that way i kindof get payed for all my hard work without riping anyone off. becouse texturepacks are supposed to be free.
Posted Image

Glimmar
    Glimmar

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3830 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

I don't use adfly, but CrEaTiVe_ONE raises a very valid point.

I feel pretty loyal to MC Patcher, so where does this leave kahr after nearly two years of support and incredible features...will his work be recognised...all of his features supported? It seems that MC Patcher is being sidelined, or am I reading this all wrong? As I, and I suspect most other HD texture pack artists, have intertwined their work as seamlessly as possible for use with MCP and Optifine, I would miss each and every one of their features if not present in another client. How does that all pan out?

[edit] Hah! Didn't read as far as the 16x pack limitation at present. I'll leave the above questions for when it applies to HD packs then. Posted Image

Is this a replacement, bells and whistles version of the existing Texture Pack Section, kind of more akin to a Planet Minecraft layout? How does this hang with our current Texture Pack Section threads...will those over time be phased out in favour of this?

Lots more questions too!! Posted Image
Posted Image

Acenth
    Acenth

Tree Puncher

• Curse
  • Curse Premium
  • 37 posts
  • Minecraft: Acenth

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostCrEaTiVe_ONE, on 08 June 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

but now how are texturepack artist gonna get their monies for their texturepack? i spend alot of hours per day on my pack and i use adfly, that way i kindof get payed for all my hard work without riping anyone off. becouse texturepacks are supposed to be free.

Curse has an author reward program that offers Amazon gift cards and cash outs depending on how many downloads your projects get. With the Curse Client users know they are getting safe and easy to install content and the author still gets paid.

We've given out over $750,000 since the program started.
Posted Image

Mayhem21
    Mayhem21

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Minecraft: Mayhemman21

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Cool

CrEaTiVe_ONE
  • Minecraft: CrEaTiVe_ONE

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostAcenth, on 08 June 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Curse has an author reward program that offers Amazon gift cards and cash outs depending on how many downloads your projects get. With the Curse Client users know they are getting safe and easy to install content and the author still gets paid.

We've given out over $750,000 since the program started.

cool i might check it out then if its gonna support HD, but then back at glimmar's point:

''I feel pretty loyal to MC Patcher, so where does this leave kahr after nearly two years of support and incredible features...will his work be recognised...all of his features supported? It seems that MC Patcher is being sidelined, or am I reading this all wrong? As I, and I suspect most other HD texture pack artists, have intertwined their work as seamlessly as possible for use with MCP and Optifine, I would miss each and every one of their features if not present in another client. How does that all pan out?''

what about all the mcpatcher options all the hd packs are based on?
Posted Image

Acenth
    Acenth

Tree Puncher

• Curse
  • Curse Premium
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostCrEaTiVe_ONE, on 09 June 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

what about all the mcpatcher options all the hd packs are based on?

For now it is just the standard texture packs. We hope to add support for HD texture packs in the near future.
Posted Image

Grugsy
    Grugsy

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3180 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

I really hope y'all do Acenth.. that will be the game breaker for a lot of us if it doesn't happen. I haven't made anything off my packs in the two years I have been working on them/posting them... but being able to use the Curse Client would be awesome in my eyes. (played wow since bc... used the client religiously for most of it's lifespan) The layout and ease of use would be a great step up from the tedium of trying to keep our packs in the spotlight with the forum layout. It was my first question/debate when the forums came to curse.(if we would get CC support)

edit: after checking it out:

since all it seems to do is download the pack directly to the texturepacks folder for you, why not just add an HD texture pack category to the list.. maybe with a "warning, needs patching". it wouldn't conflict with anything that way and it's an easy solution to adding them.
Posted Image

Acenth
    Acenth

Tree Puncher

• Curse
  • Curse Premium
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

I'll look into this, Grugsy
Posted Image

Grugsy
    Grugsy

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3180 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

awesome! now if I could ever get my pack to upload to bukkit...lol
Posted Image

Khristophoros17
  • Minecraft: cmm14
  • PSN:JTXAssassin00

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

I hope this has no effect on the texture pack central

I am here to Command & Conquer.

Posted Image

Glimmar
    Glimmar

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3830 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostGrugsy, on 10 June 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

awesome! now if I could ever get my pack to upload to bukkit...lol
Lol...if I could just get my pack to upload to MediaFire, fullstop, my awesome ISP is denying everyone access!! I got around it though...hehee! Posted Image

That's a good suggestion regarding HD packs and MC Patcher/Optifine. Also, many 16x packs have come to rely on MC Patcher for lighting, colour, CTM and animation effects, so at present you'd be limiting a goodly number of default scale packs too without either patchers.

You know you're getting too old for this game when there are too many exciting things happening to keep up. I'm getting very old. Posted Image

View PostGamex101, on 10 June 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

I hope this has no effect on the texture pack central
Another good point. Gamex101 has put an amazing amount of effort into keeping people informed of the range of texture packs available here in the Texture Pack Section, both 16x and HD.
Posted Image

Grugsy
    Grugsy

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3180 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

@Glimmar: every community needs a grandpa... hehehe

and good point about the 16x packs using mcpatcher now...didn't even think about that! (I'm horribly biased when it comes to resolution..lol)

edit: to avoid double posting: ok..so finally... after serious frustration, and mod help, my pack got uploaded to bukkitdev. if you have a pack like mine that is a rather large file size... at this point, `I would wait until hd packs are fully supported and maybe curse upgrades their upload server. (or at least until there is a status bar or something to let you know it's working!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to flame curse or bukkitdev.. just getting honest info out there for you guys from my experience thus far. In their defense, the bukkit mods had never seen an issue like mine before..lol (but then again, I doubt anyone has tried uploading a 127mb texture pack before either!)

in the end, I'm still a long time and loyal fan of the CC.
Posted Image

peytonisgreat
  • Minecraft: peytonigreat

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

What would happen if someone uploaded stolen work, would we be able to report them some how and have it taken down?

Posted Image

So many old friends are gone.

Grugsy
    Grugsy

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3180 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

View Postpeytonisgreat, on 11 June 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

What would happen if someone uploaded stolen work, would we be able to report them some how and have it taken down?

the TOS is very specific...and they have their own copyright agent.

(read it earlier while I was waiting on mods to get back to me)
Posted Image

Glimmar
    Glimmar

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3830 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostGrugsy, on 10 June 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

@Glimmar: every community needs a grandpa... hehehe

and good point about the 16x packs using mcpatcher now...didn't even think about that! (I'm horribly biased when it comes to resolution..lol)
Haha! I thought that one up whilst dozing in my steam-powered rocking chair. Posted Image

Despite my negative seeming questions, I'm all in favour of this by the way, especially if the whole shebang is attractively presented...might be a bit racy for my old ticker though. Posted Image
Posted Image