• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

griefing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

chakras100

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

is there a way to stop people griefing when playing multiplayer ie stealing ya stuff
i was in a game last night and some fool decided to steal my diamonds and then burn down my house whilst i was at the bottom of my mine.

there must be a way of stopping it, any advice?

Register or log in to remove.

maces006
    maces006

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2090 posts
  • Minecraft: Maces006
  • Xbox:Maces006

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

play on your own server and have it invite only, simple
only invite people who you trust
Posted Image

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Minecraft: 313411
  • Xbox:BiOxNuMBeRZ

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

Just play with people you can trust and you know that they wont screw you over.

"Do not blame me for your fails"

Azulavis
    Azulavis

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I usually play on invite only. If a person asks for an invite I'll usually give it to them, but I do have friends who are griefers so I only play on their worlds if they ever want to play with me (a little cruel I know, but I'm not a griefer to any extent).

There are just a few friends I have that I don't trust in certain worlds of mine, but I'm sure that's not unusual for others as well.
Keep it moving.

Mustache_Guy
  • Minecraft: McAngusYoung

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Griefing is the whole reason the game was made to where it can only be played with friends (or friends of friends).

People are dicks and will continue to be dicks. Like everyone else said, the best way to get rid of or avoid griefers is to play an Invite Only game with people you know and trust.
Lucifer - "So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches? Why?"
Gabriel - "Because dad was right. They are better than us."
Lucifer - "They are broken, flawed, abortions!"
Gabriel - "Damn right they're flawed, but a lot of them try to do better."

Pepsolman

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

View Postchakras100, on 07 June 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

is there a way to stop people griefing when playing multiplayer ie stealing ya stuff
i was in a game last night and some fool decided to steal my diamonds and then burn down my house whilst i was at the bottom of my mine.

there must be a way of stopping it, any advice?
  • Remember griefer username and what area of the map they are on.
  • Save the game.
  • Exit game.
  • Restart game as invite only.
  • Go to spot where they were griefing or where they spawn.
  • Build griefer trap they can't escape. (preferably with obsidian.)
  • Reopen back game to public.
  • Watch them come back into game and suffer your annoying trap. : )

Posted Image
Herobrine exists because we let him exist.

Buckethead19252

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

I always save frequently when there is someone in my server im not sure about.
Buckethead is the best guitarist ever :P

Dragomok
  • Minecraft: Dragomok

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

I'm not sure if you know this already, so I'm going to post it anyway: you can use server-side mods like Bukkit.

EDIT: Oooops.

View PostTacticzShield, on 07 June 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

This is the Minecraft XBLA category. Posted Image
That's what I get for jumping into threads from the main site.

Edited by Dragomok, 09 June 2012 - 08:01 PM.

What do you get when you mix together old people, advice memes, skins and Enderman? THIS.

TacticzShield

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostDragomok, on 07 June 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

I'm not sure if you know this already, so I'm going to post it anyway: you can use server-side mods like Bukkit.

This is the Minecraft XBLA category. Posted Image

o_0Maximus0_o

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

Cool, I've never experienced a Griefing..

Any of you up to help me with a few things? I'm pretty new to Minecraft and would like a few new XBL friends to play with.

ubergine
    ubergine

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

I've been coming up with ways to grief my guests ever since I discovered the joys of dynamite. My favorite so far is a lovely wooden house with a small wheat farm and stream outside and an iron door inside that opens on a blank cobblestone wall. The moment of confusion that causes should be long enough for the entire floor to give way and the surprised player fall almost all the way to bedrock down a pit natural pit lined with lava and waterfalls. I arranged the furniture in the room so that their are most likely to land in water and survive the fall (tested, reloaded, tested again many times, did not get old) but they will then have  to dig their way out from miles below the earth.

It beats my previous favorite "ceiling collapses and ton of gravel falls on player as well as more dirt and gravel packed into chests packed around explosives" and has the added bonus of being relatively easy to re-set for the next hapless guest (it destroys the floor and all the furnture but the upper house remains.)

Next I want to make a trainline with a detector rail that causes an explosion and lava to come pouring onto the track. Getting the timing right may be difficult or impossible but it will be fun to try.

I am a bit worried that the bug fix update might force a world restart. I'd rather have the fixes than the savegame but I've put a lot into this one so far.

HallMonitor5

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Unfortunately, you can't prevent people from being jerks. What you can do is minimize the damage they do. When you discover someone has grieved you, don't save the game. Just exit without saving. You will lose anything new you have done, but it should also undo anything the griever has done as well. At least that's the way I understand it.

Also, it's probably wise to get to know people before you allow them to play on worlds that are important to you. Instead of inviting them to your main world, create a new world and see how they act on neutral territory. Or, only play with others on their worlds until you get a feel for who they are, then you can invite them to yours if you think they are ok. This won't always work, but I think it gives you a better chance to not be grieved.

KrakenTheWhip
  • Minecraft: is fun.
  • Xbox:Maybe

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Reason why im only gonna play with people like Poetic Whisper and ParthaamaxTheGreat

Vesper_Azy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Press the Back button, Highlight the greifers gamertag in question and kick them. And make back up saves.

TheDeliriousWaffle
  • Minecraft: DeliriousWaffle
  • Xbox:DeliriousWaffle

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yea, i hate it when someone greifs me. Its only funny when I do it to them...

Waffles360

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

I always follow people for a while when they first get to my game. sounds creepy but just stay on a large hill a ways away and you will be able to see. and make secret chests. ie. dig one dirt in front of a tree then two under it. place a chest and replace the dirt in front of the tree. you can also replace the dirt directly under the tree if you are worried of people cutting the tree down and finding the chest.
Posted Image

Madman340

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

"Just play with people you trust 100%" is not a good enough solution.

This issue should be addressed by 4J. Simple permission restricting would do wonders.

slackathor

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Just wanted to chime in on this topic as well. I have three or four people from the forum here who have sent me friend requests that I have not accepted yet just because of this issue. At the same time, I would like to accept the requests because then I get to check out their worlds. What to do? What to do...
I'm bored.
This thread bores me.

NecisAnima

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

Slack just do a hard save then invite em.If it dont pan out remove em .

You guys are seriously maken this harder then it has to be.

KioriBug
    KioriBug

Choc-chip Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 1896 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

If you insist on leaving your world open (I do it), then when ever anyone you are unfamiliar with joins your game, save it.  This way, if anything happens, you can just restart from there.

Forum Rules

~ * ~ MCX360 ~ * ~ MCPS3 ~ * ~ MCPE  ~ * ~ MCPI ~ * ~

Posted Image