• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

tyl0r
    tyl0r

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:59 AM

Having trouble with your Parthenon? Does your university lack a certain Dorian aspect? Is your White House inexplicably missing something? The solution to these problems, my fellow Minecraftians, is columns.

Here's the recipe:

[]  :P  []
[]  :D  []  => 1 Column Block!
[]  :SSSS:  []

http://img84.imagesh...olumnrecipe.png
Click here to see a much better picture of the above recipe.

http://img249.images...lumnsdemo1.png/
Click here for an example of different column heights. Columns may be placed next to other columns to create groovy walls!

http://img18.imagesh...lumnsdemo2.png/
Click here to see an example of columns used in a facade.

How they work:
As you can see in the first image, a column placed by itself has a cap on the top, but not on the bottom. For a stack of any other number of column blocks, the texture is determined as follows:

->If there is a column block directly above the block, but not a column block directly below the block, use the "bottom column" texture.

->If there is a column block directly below the block, bot not a column block directly above the block, use the "top column" texture.

->If there is a column block above and below the block, use the "middle column" texture.

->If there is no column above or below the block, use the "top column" texture.

This allows a single block to use three different textures and to create nice-looking columns no matter how you place them. (It's similar to the way redstone changes its shape when placed next to other redstone.)

The blocks have a column texture on each vertical face and a smooth stone texture on the top and bottom (similar to the texture of a stone slab). They're kind of like wood blocks in this way. In fact, I just reskinned wood blocks as column blocks to generate those screenshots.

I'm submitting this suggestion on the getsatisfaction site.
http://getsatisfacti...ck_idea_columns

If you like this idea, go there and click the "I like this idea" button. Then we can have columns in Minecraft yay!

[edit] Here's the texture for the column blocks, if you want to reskin them into your Minecraft as well.
http://img191.images...umntextures.png

Register or log in to remove.

Korimito
    Korimito

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:34 AM

I was going to come in here raging about how you should just stack some goddamn blocks, but I checked out your screen shots and it's actually a brilliant idea. Bravo, +1, internets, and bump.
Posted Image

Foxy1990 said:

if some higher beings ever got to view this forum before coming to our planet they would turn back and not bother!

Blindburrows said:

do you know how to get to the Netherlands other than a portal

REGIFISHY
  • Minecraft: REGIFISHY

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:49 AM

This could be a cool idea! ^_^
Posted Image

LarvaLounge

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:52 AM

You could, for example, replace the Sandstone texture with this.  Or one of the dyed wools you don't care for.  I mean if you wanted the visual effect without needing a proper recipe for it.

EDIT:  Oh I see how you've got the different textures for how they are placed.  Very cool... you'd need to replace 3 textures for that.  Yeah.

In any case, I like this idea.

RKO36
    RKO36

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:54 AM

Very cool idea.

AgentShawnX

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

LarvaLounge said:

You could, for example, replace the Sandstone texture or one of the dyed wool textures you don't care for with the Column texture. I mean, if you wanted the visual effect without needing a proper recipe for it.

Fuck yeah, just turned my yellow wool into a column. Feels good, man.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

TheBlueFalconX

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

I approve.

breadfreak

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

I think it's a brilliant idea!
Should definitely be constructable with Sandstone and Wood too.  Especially Sandstone.  :GoldBar:

Petmanmu
    Petmanmu

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Minecraft: AbeMuldvarp

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Remember to click "simg" ""URL GOES HERE"" around the URL for the pictures, that way we don't have to click them :Zombie:

Topic: Wow awesome idea. I absolutely love it!!!

View PostStingray56, on 03 July 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Herobrine is a lie. Anyone who believes otherwise is mentally retarded. End. Of. The. Goddamn. Story.

arirish
    arirish

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2124 posts
  • Minecraft: arirish

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

God they're pretty...

Nove5
    Nove5

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

Korimito said:

I was going to come in here raging about how you should just stack some goddamn blocks, but I checked out your screen shots and it's actually a brilliant idea. Bravo, +1, internets, and bump.
I was too xD. I like the idea now tho and i also think you should make stone fences (just not called that) that could be used as columns in case you want them thinner..

themohawkninja
  • Location: In the Nether getting shot at by GhastTamer's Ghast.
  • Minecraft: themohawkninja

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

Aesthetic column blocks are a nice idea.
All map threads here: http://www.minecraft...ap-mega-thread/.........

Irony below.

Posted Image

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

I like em! In addition to being pretty though I would like it if they could serve some additional practical function too.

Perhaps as stable mighty support column they could be immovable by pistons, after pistons are introduced.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

KarkasmolenKlok

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

I kind of like the idea but I would like to see a different recipe for it. I'm still rather hoping that at some point vertical half-blocks are implemented.
Posted Image

bishop1996
  • Minecraft: Bishop1996

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

wll i like it

I don't believe you know just how many bad applications I've seen.

yoshi9048

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

I like this.
Posted Image

LordBlah
    LordBlah

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

Loving this, have some well deserved bump.

MeanBakedBean

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

I hope this isn't gravedigging, as I am digging up a good suggestion :Pig:

Beaniness of Meaniness!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ThEwOtSiT182
  • Minecraft: ThEwOtSiT182

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

I love it, i will try to make one that is just the bottom block repeated and then i will try to work on the texture
If I helped, please click that little green up arrow in the bottom right of my post!

YourMajesty

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hmmmmm.  I like it.

It's an interesting concept for a block, indeed; I'd just be afraid it was a bit too "niche," really.  I can't imagine that there are too many places where the block would look nice; the only place they'd look good is in structures made of stone/cobblestone.  You probably couldn't make it look good in a wooden structure, nor could you with a brick structure or a sandstone structure.  I suppose that's what texture packs are for, though.

Travesty said:

Paddy352 said:

Are you always so pessimistic?
Yes, yes I am.  A pessimist is always either right, or pleasantly surprised.

ChargerIIC said:

Egads..this is World of Warcraft meets Battlefield 1942 in a dark alley with way too much to drink and no discarded mattress nearby.