• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Rituals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Good idea? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Good idea?

1. Yea (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Nay (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

The Winner

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

This would be my way of adding magic to the game but not over-doing it or turning it into a fantasy game, and it would also add to the mysticism and strangeness of the game.

They would be initiated by doing the right things in the right order, and in return you would get healed, get resources, get a tool, and the list goes into more complicated things as you discover more complicated rituals. There would be easy ones, such as arranging torches around you and dropping something between the torches to get something in return, and then there would be more complicated ones that involve more objects and more complicated placements. The easy ones would grant you with cheap things like wood or cobblestone, the slightly more advanced might give you some basic tools , the advanced would give you better tools or basic ores like iron and coal, and the extremely complicated would give you some rich ores like gold, diamond, and maybe obsidian when it is implemented. Maybe rituals would be randomly generated but still have the same level of difficulty to initiate when you start a world. This would keep people from sharing the rituals and ruining the experience of discovering things. You would also have to wait a cool down between each ritual which should vary depending on the difficulty of the ritual.

If this was added it would add maybe even more role-playing ability to the game. Somebody who lives in a mysterious, dangerous place, might discover a ritual which can summon diamonds and word would spread. Some people would venture out into the unknown on a quest to find the man who can create diamonds from thin air.

I have been pondering this idea and I think it would add to the mysterious and adventurous atmosphere of this game.

Register or log in to remove.

Lil_Parker

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:25 AM

Randomly generated recipies are always bad. It isn't really fun randomly placing things until it works.

The Winner

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:31 AM

Lil_Parker said:

Randomly generated recipies are always bad. It isn't really fun randomly placing things until it works.

Wide known recipes aren't that great either, it ruins the experience of discovering something yourself. And after somebody discovers something, the recipe is bound to get spread across the whole Minecraft community.

Mystify
    Mystify

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4899 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

The current crafting system works for experimenting, because the formulas are always sensible. I was told there were signs, ladders, and doors, and I was able to guess the recipes on the first try. If the door recipe was something random like

:)  :goldore:  :log:
:gravel:  [iron]  [iron]
:goldore:  :goldore:  :goldore:

Then no one would ever guess it. The difficulty in crafting things should not be finding the recipes, it should be finding the resources. Deciding to spend 128 wood on making ladders is an interesting choice; trying to figure out an obscure recipe is not. Discovery only works if their is a reason to the recipes. Same concept applies to anything else, be it rituals or technology.

renadi
    renadi

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1968 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

it took me two guesses on the ladders, I used planks instead of sticks for the legs at first.
but regardless, it followed a logical path, sure the recipe is floating around, but for me at least it was a discovery to find out that wow, so this is how you make a ladder! Everything else follows a pretty easy to figure out pattern, and it's visually based, though I am generally opposed to a large random factor in any game, this one seems very odd, what is the significance of the ritual if it's randomly generated, why does it do what it does?