• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Gliding Minecarts & Hot Air Balloons [Suggestion with pictures]

air travel gliding minecart hot air balloon

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you like to see in Vanilla Minecraft ? (157 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like to see in Vanilla Minecraft ?

1. Gliding Minecarts (22 votes [14.01%])

Percentage of vote: 14.01%

2. Hot Air Balloons (42 votes [26.75%])

Percentage of vote: 26.75%

3. Both Gliding Minecarts and Hot Air Balloons (84 votes [53.50%])

Percentage of vote: 53.50%

4. Neither of these (9 votes [5.73%])

Percentage of vote: 5.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Charoodler
  • Minecraft: Charoodler

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

The problem is that on day one, so long as you can find cows, sheep and coal you could fly up and avoid mobs completely. There are no air mobs in the overworld and skeletons don't have the aim or arrow damage to efficiently shoot a player down.

As for the griefing part, what's the point? If the target is high up block jumping would be faster and easier, and for wall infiltration TNT or a diamond pick would break the walls down faster than flying in would take you. Griefers would just be wasting time with air travel.
Posted Image
Spoiler:

Register or log in to remove.

Rocky_Fire
  • Minecraft: Rocky_Fire

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

there should be a fuel for the carts to increase lift and speed

floatygoat

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Can you make some sort of jet-pack/hang-glider or vehicle like a car and fuel? it would be awesome
but you have my support with the gliding minecart and the air balloon. There air balloon would be good to breach fortresses and castles

(Sorry if I'm getting off topic)

Gaurdian23

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

View Postfishymeh, on 28 July 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

just to op, that is what flight is, overpowered, and that is all it is nothing, else!!!!!

I have to disagree, flight isn't overpowered. Only things such as bombers and such would be OP

View PostGodzilla200088, on 30 October 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

I say that to make the hot air ballon a little less OP. which it isn't, it should be crafted like it is. but to make the balloon powered, I,E able to fly, it should use a Nether Star and Ghast tears like this.

Posted Image NS  Posted Image BALLOON  Posted Image GT

Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  

Jesus Christ!!!! What the heck is wrong with you!?!?!?! That would take centuries for even me to do (and I gather resources so fast you wouldn't believe it).

View PostJasonG5, on 15 December 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Would probably have to try the mod request forum :V

Not really, all you need to do is ask lol. I'll gladly start on this after mine is done.

View PostFGHIK, on 30 December 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Good ideas, there should also be Blimps, Steampunk-style Airships, Planes and Helicopters. They could be in different classes. I'm thinking there will be a few classes, Scout, Passenger, Transport, and Battle, and 4 Tiers of advancement.

First Tier: Gliders (Unique class)
Hot Air Balloons (a scout balloon that is slightly slower than a boat, a passenger balloon that can carry four players/mobs and moves slower than the scout balloon, a transport balloon that holds 3 small chests and one player and moves the slowest, and a battle balloon that drops TNT somewhat inaccurately and moves at the same speed as a passenger balloon.

Second Tier:
Steampunk Airships (No scout class, passenger class can carry 8 players/mobs, storage class that has 8 chests of inventory, battle class that can drop TNT with average accuracy and 2 cannons from your "New Boats" topic. They all as fast as a boat)

Biplanes (scout biplane goes twice as fast as a boat, passenger class carries two players/mobs and moves 1.5. times faster than a boat, no storage class, battle class has two seats and a rear facing gun).

Third Tier:
Blimps (no scout class, passenger class can carry 12 players/mobs, storage class can carry two players/mobs and has 12 chests and an enderchest, battle class can carry two players and drop TNT with good accuracy, all blimps move 1.9 times faster than boats)  

Monoplanes(scout class moves 3 times as fast as a boat and carries 2 mobs/players; passenger class can carry 4 players/mobs; storage class has 2 chests, an enderchest, and a player; battle class has two machine guns in the front and a rear machine gun.

Anti-Aircraft Batteries, get in and blast enemy aircraft!

Fourth Tier:
Jet Liners (no scout class; passenger class can carry 20 players/mobs, two chests, an ender chest, and a pilot; storage class has 22 chests, an ender chest, and a pilot seat; battle class can drop 2 TNT at a time with high accuracy; all jet liners move 5 times faster than boats)
Jet Fighters (scout class moves 6 times faster than a boat and can carry two players/mobs; no passenger class; no storage class, battle class has extremely accurate missiles)

Fourth Tier B: Helicopters at last! They move 3 times faster than a boat, have 3 chests and an ender chest, can carry two players, drop a good accuracy TNT, and have two machine guns on the front.

Fourth Tier C: Anti-aircraft missiles! They would shoot down any air vehicle that enters their range. Gliders are immune to their sensors.

Oh god what did I write. No way vanilla Minecraft is ever getting that Posted Image

What you said last is true, it is a great MOD idea but for default minecraft it is a bad bad bad idea lol.

Posted Image

Jad
    Jad

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1148 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Yet again you think up something epic.
I Support this idea!
Posted Image

minecraftnoob37
  • Minecraft: gtetr

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Huh. I never thought minecarts could fly.

Seriously. The gliding minecart is way too heavy to fly with just some little wings.
Maybe you use the wing recipe in a triangle shape on the crafting grid:

o
oo
ooo

to make an actually useful wing. It would be a lot bigger, but hey, otherwise the minecart would crash.

DJEN
    DJEN

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostArtifact123, on 25 October 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

This seems like a nice idea. Support. Can Charcoal also be used for the Hot Air Balloon?

@People saying it can be used to grief: Why use a somewhat expensive hot air balloon when you can pillar jump with Dirt, swim up with water or throw an Ender Pearl over the wall?
Good point indeed!

View Posttedisgreat, on 03 December 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

I like this but I think Flying would break the game because people would just fly everywhere and that just isn't minecraft BUT I support your boats topic but I think it that is cool and should be added. Just my thoughts.
Y'see, you're not acknowledging the fact that blimps & balloons are quite... slow.

View PostFGHIK, on 30 December 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Good ideas, there should also be Blimps, Steampunk-style Airships, Planes and Helicopters. They could be in different classes. I'm thinking there will be a few classes, Scout, Passenger, Transport, and Battle, and 4 Tiers of advancement.

First Tier: Gliders (Unique class)
Hot Air Balloons (a scout balloon that is slightly slower than a boat, a passenger balloon that can carry four players/mobs and moves slower than the scout balloon, a transport balloon that holds 3 small chests and one player and moves the slowest, and a battle balloon that drops TNT somewhat inaccurately and moves at the same speed as a passenger balloon.

Second Tier:
Steampunk Airships (No scout class, passenger class can carry 8 players/mobs, storage class that has 8 chests of inventory, battle class that can drop TNT with average accuracy and 2 cannons from your "New Boats" topic. They all as fast as a boat)

Biplanes (scout biplane goes twice as fast as a boat, passenger class carries two players/mobs and moves 1.5. times faster than a boat, no storage class, battle class has two seats and a rear facing gun).

Third Tier:
Blimps (no scout class, passenger class can carry 12 players/mobs, storage class can carry two players/mobs and has 12 chests and an enderchest, battle class can carry two players and drop TNT with good accuracy, all blimps move 1.9 times faster than boats)  

Monoplanes(scout class moves 3 times as fast as a boat and carries 2 mobs/players; passenger class can carry 4 players/mobs; storage class has 2 chests, an enderchest, and a player; battle class has two machine guns in the front and a rear machine gun.

Anti-Aircraft Batteries, get in and blast enemy aircraft!

Fourth Tier:
Jet Liners (no scout class; passenger class can carry 20 players/mobs, two chests, an ender chest, and a pilot; storage class has 22 chests, an ender chest, and a pilot seat; battle class can drop 2 TNT at a time with high accuracy; all jet liners move 5 times faster than boats)
Jet Fighters (scout class moves 6 times faster than a boat and can carry two players/mobs; no passenger class; no storage class, battle class has extremely accurate missiles)

Fourth Tier B: Helicopters at last! They move 3 times faster than a boat, have 3 chests and an ender chest, can carry two players, drop a good accuracy TNT, and have two machine guns on the front.

Fourth Tier C: Anti-aircraft missiles! They would shoot down any air vehicle that enters their range. Gliders are immune to their sensors.

Oh god what did I write. No way vanilla Minecraft is ever getting that :P
Whoa, whoa, whoa, gettin' too techy there!

Despite the fact that I like Minecraft the way it is, the idea's quite convincing.

I like
Spoiler:
I enjoy typin' in a southern-ish accent.

DrSnazzypants

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I prefer the glider idea.

JasonG5
    JasonG5

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Minecraft: JasonG5

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostCharoodler, on 07 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

The problem is that on day one, so long as you can find cows, sheep and coal you could fly up and avoid mobs completely. There are no air mobs in the overworld and skeletons don't have the aim or arrow damage to efficiently shoot a player down.

As for the griefing part, what's the point? If the target is high up block jumping would be faster and easier, and for wall infiltration TNT or a diamond pick would break the walls down faster than flying in would take you. Griefers would just be wasting time with air travel.

Yeah, as with my ocean topic suggestion I was meant to expand on this too and add air mobs (because I added some sea mobs to my other topic) but I never got around to updating this topic at all x).

but yeah guys, I might just update this topic with some air mobs and expanding on the glider and hot air balloon a bit ^^
Posted Image

texTnummbers22

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Maybe ocasionly skeletons can spawn in a hot air bollon?
Posted Image

JasonG5
    JasonG5

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PosttexTnummbers22, on 03 April 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

Maybe ocasionly skeletons can spawn in a hot air bollon?

How do you mean ?
Posted Image

texTnummbers22

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Ocasionly a hot air balloon will spawn with a skeleton sitting in it. This could create a challenge if using a balloon or gliding minecart.
Posted Image

Bufu101
    Bufu101

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Dunno why, but i like the hot air baloon , i find it to fit rather well with in minecraft.

The glider cart however not so much, mainly because i like my games slightly more realistic then fictional, you ever seen actuall minecarts with wings flying around your town from the quarry next door ?? Glider carts is something i would rather see in mods then in the vanilla minecraft for that soul reason.

View PostCharoodler, on 07 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

The problem is that on day one, so long as you can find cows, sheep and coal you could fly up and avoid mobs completely.

Or you could just punch a tree straight of the start of a world, find some large water body (not to hard with small biome settings), craft a bench and a boat and achive the same effect ? I really dont see this as a biggy, one can also just limit the baloon to a certain level, cause it would also not make much sence for it to be able to hit the build limit, unless there is land below the baloon with in say like 40 blocks below the basket ?

Im having a blast reading some of the idea in this forum section, even if like this one they have been around for sometime now.

hjklr54679

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

in server.properties, allowballoon=false should be something that disables this. or maybe mojang could make a perms for it so you can only allow people you trust to use the balloon/glider. this would fix the trolling problemo
Posted Image
Click the above image for science! Some people think it's a scam. But it's not. Why else would I put this in my sig?
Paper  Mario The Thousand Year Door is by far the world's best Nintendo game ever made.
Do you want a cookie? Yes:
Spoiler:
No:
Spoiler:

tom98784
    tom98784

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

I support the glider minecart but maybe slightly less gliding distance, hot air balloon is a bit much I think

JasonG5
    JasonG5

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Fair points guys. I could add just a glider, so that those that dislike the idea of having a minecart that can glide, can just use the hand-held glider instead if anything like this is, if it is ever implemented. As long as theres something that glides eh :b.
Posted Image

donmech5
    donmech5

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Minecraft: donmech5

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

i get the hot air balloon. i dont get the glideing minecart. good presentation though
DONMECHFODAWIN!!!!!

Comrade_Dispenser
  • Minecraft: Comrade_Derp

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

If any form of controlable flight were added I'd prefer it to be like the Airships one can make in RedPower mod.

They are horribly expensive, require batteries and take a series of levers you need to switch on and off to control flight, only being able to move in the 6 directions. And also huge, and complicated to build.
Posted Image

Nmaurok1
  • Minecraft: nmaurok

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Well I love this and your other idea about Mythological sea creatures and new boats and as I already said on your other post, I would love seeing a mod/update for this.
Posted Image

MinecraftSiegeEngineer

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Full support! One more thing: Parachute.