• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Fedora 17 x86_64

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

FoolishOwl

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

I just upgraded from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17, both the 64 bit version. With Fedora 16, I was using OpenJDK 1.60, and was able to play Minecraft without difficulty, using 'java -jar minecraft.jar'.

Fedora 17 uses OpenJDK 1.70, and has rearranged some directories, such as moving the /lib hierarchy to /usr/lib. When I tried to launch Minecraft as previously, I would get the launcher window, but then just a black screen when Minecraft proper launched.

After some reading, I found some suggestions that in prior versions of Fedora, a similar problem was resolved by exporting the system variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. After some poking around, I found the current pathname. Using the following, I can successfully launch Minecraft:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64/lib/amd64"
/usr/bin/java -jar minecraft.jar

You would need to specify the actual path of minecraft.jar, of course. You could easily use this in a shell script file, just by adding "#!/bin/bash" as the first line, and making the file executable.

Register or log in to remove.

Sutireme
    Sutireme

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Minecraft: Sutireme

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostFoolishOwl, on 01 June 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

I just upgraded from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17, both the 64 bit version. With Fedora 16, I was using OpenJDK 1.60, and was able to play Minecraft without difficulty, using 'java -jar minecraft.jar'.

Fedora 17 uses OpenJDK 1.70, and has rearranged some directories, such as moving the /lib hierarchy to /usr/lib. When I tried to launch Minecraft as previously, I would get the launcher window, but then just a black screen when Minecraft proper launched.

After some reading, I found some suggestions that in prior versions of Fedora, a similar problem was resolved by exporting the system variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. After some poking around, I found the current pathname. Using the following, I can successfully launch Minecraft:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64/lib/amd64"
/usr/bin/java -jar minecraft.jar

You would need to specify the actual path of minecraft.jar, of course. You could easily use this in a shell script file, just by adding "#!/bin/bash" as the first line, and making the file executable.

you are amazing!

I just came on here to ask if anyone had a solution to that exact issue.
[represent]

topiassalakka123
  • Minecraft: topiassalakka123

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

omg this actually works, thx a lot, i am using fedora 17 too and all other tutorials about gettin minecraft to work failed

Senor_Charlos

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks! I just got Fedora 17 TODAY and this helped a lot! Thanks!!!

jamesst20
    jamesst20

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 112 posts
  • Minecraft: jamesst20

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks a lot !

I had to type :

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/java/jre1.7.0_09/lib/amd64"
java -jar minecraft.jar