• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

kutagh
    kutagh

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

Right now there aren't sponges available in in(f)dev. When physics is enabled, those would be great to have.
With the crafting system, we could create a temporary solution without adding another rare to find blocks: Use wool.
Wool is absorbent on itself already. We'd just use a lot of wool to create something that can absorb quite a bit of water.
What I'd suggest for recipe would be:
:stone: = wool
:stair: = Clot of wool
:sponge: = (obviously) sponge
:D = empty

Clot of wool:
:bookshelf:  :bookshelf:  :bookshelf:
:stone:  :stone:  :bookshelf:
:stone:  :stone:  :bookshelf:
(can be in any corner, so 4 possible locations)
Results in:  :stair:

Sponge:
:stair:  :stair:  :stair:
Results in:
:sponge:

As you see, you need to create 9x  :stair:  which gives us a total requirement of 36 blocks of wool ( :stone: ). So from four stacks wool (256 blocks) you would get 7 blocks of sponge. A lot of resources which requires a couple of minecraft ingame days and a bit of hunting. To deflood a building, you often wouldn't need more then 2 sponges, perhaps 4 for bigger buildings. It depends on how you do it. So this would give us a way to get rid of water once physics are enabled again on in(f)dev :)

Register or log in to remove.

dorsidwarf

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

sponge will nver be in in/infdev. it was just a quick fix, Until notch added finite water. and you said 'when physics is enabled'. that'll be indev phsics, therefore making sponges useless.
Posted Image

Blah higaman said:

Walrus?
Isnt that just a mega powerful underwater goat?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8856 Big Book of Alchemy :D

jbibsee said:

cmon ppl say what u think
or  [SSSS] will hug u

Sealystar
    Sealystar

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4659 posts
  • Minecraft: SealyStar

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

I like sponges too, but since water physics are now much better in in(f)dev, they aren't necessary now.
Sum bronius sine pictura mannuli. Noli odire.

Imxset21

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

I think that sponges might still be a good tool to have for draining, but it's potential for abuse and the lack of infinite water makes it currently unviable.
Oh InputMismatchException, where art thou?

Swingerzetta
  • Minecraft: Swingerzetta

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Since the word sponge originally referred to the porous, absorbent sea creature  of the same name (no, it does not wear pants) until the recent invention of plastic (or something?) sponges, I'd suggest that any minecraftian sponge would be found living in the sea.

I have heard that they were a quick fix for the infinite water of creative, but I think they are neat to have anyway. I have a few ideas on how they should work, and that is, instead of just making water dissapear, they would be placed in water and absorb it, one block of water at a time, until it's full. Lets say 16 units of water.

at this point they'd stop being absorbant, and I haven't really decided what the best behavior would be now. Either hitting it once would make it become an entity, and you can place it else where and, say, step on it to make water leak out, or hitting it would make water leak out. This second case makes a bit more sense, probably is easier to implement, but it makes the things less useful.

Another idea is saying to hell with sponges, and using buckets in a similar way. Say, right-clicking with a bucket adds a block of water to it, until you've collected 8 or 16 blocks in your bucket. Left clicking tosses the water back out.

or combining the two ideas, sponges absorb, buckets can pick up water from sponges.
I'm just throwing stuff out there at this point.

Mystify
    Mystify

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4899 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

Sponges are a ugly hack. Buckets to bail out water makes more sense.

sephiron

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:08 AM

Mystify said:

Sponges are a ugly hack. Buckets to bail out water makes more sense.
I completely agree with above poster.
I always hated the look of sponges, and i thought that there was no way you could really make it work logically. You could try to have it hold a certain amount of water per block, but then what would the point be? in creative, the only reason people have them is to build an underwater city. no chance of that happening if they're temporary.

chesse20

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:02 AM

maybe sponges are a living creature that you can pick up and move around but if they soak up too much water they become self aware and make a underwater civilzation of people that look like sponge bob
Posted Image

dorsidwarf

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:30 AM

O.O

did he really just say that?
Posted Image

Blah higaman said:

Walrus?
Isnt that just a mega powerful underwater goat?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8856 Big Book of Alchemy :D

jbibsee said:

cmon ppl say what u think
or  [SSSS] will hug u

killer2329

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:31 AM

O.O o god GET TO TEH BUNKA

chesse20

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

yeah i think that if you use a sponge too much it does that and this would be fun crafting
Posted Image

rushone2009
  • Minecraft: rushone2009

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:07 AM

But what about SMP?

My server been flooded so many times! I'd like to have a quick fix solution to that. PLus water has to hard of a current to move and remove it easily with buckets.

And lava's a pain also:
1/Stop the main block--lava keeps going ( in SMP at least )
2/Pour water-- cobble or even worse, obsidian ( FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OBSIDIAN )

why not have something to get rid of it fast and easy. Can't  seem to get rid of lava and water, why not have the tool to clean shit up. At least in multiplayer due to griefers.

Has Notch done anything about Griefing? He's a cool guy, but the sponge should be reinstated in SMP.

ekulio
    ekulio

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing sponges implemented (albeit with a better mechanic) but if they are I'd say there should just be sea sponges on the sea floors that drop sponges. That seems way obvious to me.

SirKipsalot

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

1. Recolor sponges green.
2. Use for slime.

NuclearRed

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

rushone2009 said:

And lava's a pain also:

So you're suggesting sponges should suck in lava?! I think lava is a wee bit too much for a sponge. Lava should kill the sponge with a dagger, and surface for world dominance. That would be the only function a sponge'd have at lava. And that would be so flippin' awesome.

NuclearRed said:

NuclearRed said:

I'm going to quote myself.

rushone2009
  • Minecraft: rushone2009

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

NuclearRed said:

rushone2009 said:

And lava's a pain also:

So you're suggesting sponges should suck in lava?! I think lava is a wee bit to much for a sponge. Lava should kill the sponge with a dagger, and surface for world dominance. That would be the only function a sponge'd have at lava. And that would be so flippin' awesome.

I agree.

NuclearRed

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

Another suggestion: Sponges can absorb water if it's in a warm area, and only then.

NuclearRed said:

NuclearRed said:

Qinetix
    Qinetix

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

*facepalm*

The sponge its a plant -.- , underwater
Try to think of realism sometimes in ideas, or else some people could bring you to Sh*t

sinn1sl0ken

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

After reading this discussion, I'm thinking sponges wouldn't be the best thing for SMP because you could just as easily grief as you could anti-grief with them. Imagine a map with no water within a reasonable distance O.O

Then lava protection would be nearly impossible, and even more griefing could happen!

Although I do kind of want to see some interesting way to deal with lava without transforming the actual block... but I can't think of any good ways to do that. Apart from, you know, buckets. Which already exist.
I don't like trolls, but I don't mind gnolls.
I play on normal, but don't play normally.
I can't think of another reversal of expectations, but I think I can... reverse your expectations?

Mr. Charles

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:34 AM

I think it should be more like:
:SSSS:  :sand:  :SSSS:
:sand:  :SSSS:  :sand: = :(
:(  :sand:  :White:
So like the TNT recipe, but with wool.
Also, you should find sponges naturally, but they don't absorb water when found.

~C~

Posted Image

AbleBarker said:

Yes updates beautiful updates (munch munch munch) more Mooore  [VV]  MOOOOORE!  [VV]