Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

New uses for emerald

new uses for emerald ore

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

TheFriskyOne

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Do you think there should be a new use for Emeralds.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

RobZ51
    RobZ51

Void Walker

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1911 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

No, it's nice with an item which is only currency.
Posted Image

CalumM
    CalumM

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

give a currency a use and it becomes a bad currency. Currencies are meant to only be used as such or they are pawns to supply and demand and this disadvantages some people and advantages others.

Minestein100

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

Would you make more uses for dollar bills irl? No.

Emeralds are a currency, I hope it stays that way.

Kulotee
    Kulotee

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostMinestein100, on 27 May 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Would you make more uses for dollar bills irl? No.

Emeralds are a currency, I hope it stays that way.

I wouldnt mind being able to make an emerald block... it would look fancy!

TheFriskyOne

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Nothing like tools or armour something that is a bit more useful don't get me wrong i like them being used as currency maybe to craft a decorative block.
Posted Image

GorgeousTaylor

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Villages only appear when you have structures set to "on".
So yes, emeralds should have another use. If only for emerald blocks.

Caelann
    Caelann

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Minecraft: Caelann

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

I was hoping Emerald Ore would take inspiration from RedPower 2's emeralds and provide tools as efficient as diamond, but much more flimsy, as well as a new decorative storage block.

There really is no reason why emeralds should have to be the currency themselves. Just because there used to be gold and silver coins, that didn't mean those metals couldn't be used for other things. Personally I'd much rather the emeralds be sold as valuable items to the villagers, whereas the currency item would be that red "ruby" thing from the first snapshot.

ShinySnack

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Indeed. There are shirts and suits made out of dollar bills. I'm not kidding.

Keyl10
    Keyl10

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

There could be other things, but I'd be fine with a emerald block.  The green is quite a unique hue and would look nice in my throne room.

bluevein
    bluevein

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

The only thing they should add is an emerald block. We don't have many blue blocks, and I love using just a few lapis or gold blocks to give the appearance of luxury some times. Emeralds would be great for this.
Also, Stanley is addicted to drugs and hookers.

FieryMimiga
  • Minecraft: Marcelstrike

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

Aside from currency I agree that the only thing else that could be done is storing 9 of them into a block of emerald :P
Currently making some new maps

rollplayinggamer
  • Minecraft: rollplayinggamer
  • Xbox:RollPlayingGame

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:19 AM

I would like a emerald block. that would look so awesome. or rings. like gold rings with emerald jewels. rings would be awesome. They could give a extra enchant slot!

Posted Image

BlockArranger

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

Honestly, I feel that using raw emerald as currency to be a bit odd. I would have preferred if you could craft the emeralds into coins but that's just me.

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4130 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Well, it's happened, heh heh. Jeb posted this today on twitter:

Posted Image

poklaan
    poklaan

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Emerald block and nothing else.

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4130 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Aww crap.. This is what constant complaining can do:

Jeb has completely removed Emeralds as a findable ORE. Emeralds can now only be gotten through trading and as findable loot, but never as Ore in ground....

I actually wanted to get some Emerald Ore blocks via that one enchantment....

You will still be able to get the Ore in Creative he said, but I like having a legit way to get things in survival too..

* If Jeb maintains this stance then I won't feel it OP anymore for me to farm/game the system to get whatever emeralds I need to build with Emerald or Emerald Ore blocks.

I would have been happy to mine in Extreme Hills areas for Emeralds to make it feel more realistic for me, but if he removes the ability to Mine a known element in a Game that is ALL ABOUT MINING then he'd do better to just replace using Emeralds as currency with using F'in Coins with a big nosed face on them...

I love Jeb, I really do, but I don't agree with him on this one.

Caelann
    Caelann

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Minecraft: Caelann

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Seriously? They add a new ore only to remove it? Lol. Good thing I already have RedPower 2's emeralds, which I don't think will be made loot-only any time in the near future.

TheFriskyOne

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

:'( It liked the idea that you had to hunt for a hilly biome then mine down to it.

I saw someone say that how jeb complains about enchantments being to random maybe having a slot for emeralds to make it less random?
Posted Image

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4130 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

Well, thankfully, since Jeb has reversed his decision and Emerald Ore will be mineable again we'll be able to have Emerald-Ore decorations again when using Silk Touch. :)

And if Jeb doesn't add anymore uses for emeralds I'm sure modders will. ;)

* To be quite frank; since Jeb really only wanted them as currency (something to get from and give to Villagers) I would have preferred them using something like Coins left over from the ancients and unreproducible now. That would explain not being able to just mine them (like you should be able to emeralds etc) yet how the villagers have them (they find/found them in ancient ruins etc but haven't found any more, so they are an unreproducible commodity) Perfect for trading.

This would allow Emeralds and Rubies and Sapphires a place in the world as mine-able elements for at least decoration if nothing else. I mean, a game that is all about mining but doesn't have mine-able Rubies etc?