• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Can the Ender Chest be picked back up? If so...it's far overpowered.

• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

Locklear308

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

While I am having troubles getting the snapshot to work, I was wondering if the Ender chest can be picked back up?

IF if can...then I'm horrified as such a game breaking feature.  Why?  Because typically a person must think...

"Ok, I'm going to travel in search of some new lands to make a base, so I better bring some supplies."

You must choose and balance what items you bring.  But if the chest can be placed and picked back up like there is no tomorrow, all of this challenge and thought, is broken.  Players don't have to worry about supplies if they can just plop down a ender chest and BAM, supplies.

Please...Please tell me it cannot be picked back up.
Posted Image
"The oceans of minecraft are vast and nearly endless... and we just have a floating little box to traverse across them..." - doctorseaweed2

Register or log in to remove.

Scorpio Spork

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't see any problems with being able to pick up the chest again, especially if it requires a diamond pick.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

NinjamesVDS
    NinjamesVDS

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1000 posts
  • Minecraft: JamesVDS

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Don't like it? Don't use it.

Problem solved.

Posted Image

Locklear308

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostScorpio Spork, on 24 May 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

I don't see any problems with being able to pick up the chest again, especially if it requires a diamond pick.

You don't see an issue with a item than removes all the limitations of what you bring with you?

Most shooter games only let you carry a few weapons, which makes you choose what you want to use.  If you could just carrying unlimited stuff, then all of that challenge is removed.

That is my issue :[

View PostNinjamesVDS, on 24 May 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

Don't like it? Don't use it.

Problem solved.

"Don't like it? Don't use it."

Again, that is the most unintelligent argument used on these forums.  Under your logic, it would be ok to have an easy to make weapon that does 1000 damage because you can just tell people "Don't use it"

Seriously people, this is a big issue
Posted Image
"The oceans of minecraft are vast and nearly endless... and we just have a floating little box to traverse across them..." - doctorseaweed2

Crisdoben
  • Minecraft: Crisdoben182

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thats the point, genius. And it isnt game breaking. It just makes it all better. There is literetally NOTHING bad about this feature

Scorpio Spork

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostLocklear308, on 24 May 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

You don't see an issue with a item than removes all the limitations of what you bring with you?

Most shooter games only let you carry a few weapons, which makes you choose what you want to use.  If you could just carrying unlimited stuff, then all of that challenge is removed.

That is my issue :[

Nope, I see no problems with it. First off, you can't turn it into a double chest (according to the wiki). Second, you'd need to collect diamonds to get the obsidian. I know that can be done fairly quickly, but I think it's a fair requirement. Third, I would guess that you'd need to use a diamond pickaxe to pick up the chest again (correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't played the snapshot yet).

Just think of it like an extension to your inventory.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

NinjamesVDS
    NinjamesVDS

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1000 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

You don't get unlimited supplies though. You get as many as you can fit in the chest. I don't think it's too much of a game-breaker.

Posted Image

Locklear308

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostNinjamesVDS, on 24 May 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

You don't get unlimited supplies though. You get as many as you can fit in the chest. I don't think it's too much of a game-breaker.

It makes carrying food, pointless.  Because you can just load it up with food.

If so, then it needs to be made to not carry items like Potions or food.
Posted Image

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostLocklear308, on 24 May 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

You know, you have to go all the way back to get the first chest again. It seems like an item teleporter more than anything.

Posted Image

haxjagarn
  • Minecraft: haxjagarn

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

I don't see the problem, what part of being able to put your potions in a separate, non-loosable compartment is bad?

Posted Image

build your portals closer than ever

Jassie
    Jassie

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostLocklear308, on 24 May 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

"Don't like it? Don't use it."

Again, that is the most unintelligent argument used on these forums.  Under your logic, it would be ok to have an easy to make weapon that does 1000 damage because you can just tell people "Don't use it"

Transporting items quickly is WAY different then doing damage, taking less damage, and stuff like that.

Games don't have to have every small thing be time consuming to be difficult. In fact things taking longer than they have to doesn't make the game more difficult at all. It makes the game frustrating and doesn't let the player enjoy the actual game as much.

This isn't a big issue and this is the exact type of argument where "Don't like it then don't use it" is the best argument there is.

Beds didn't make the game any easier either. It just made the game more user friendly to the people that were just gonna sit in their house doing nothing all night anyway. They didn't break the game and this won't either.
I'm usually not trying to be rude. So if a post comes across that way then sorry :]

WhiteBryNinja

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Food- BS, Once they made food stack-able even one inventory slot is enough for whatever you want to do or go.

Potions- This chest would actually make loading out with potions while caving more possible, making them more useful.

herobrine believer

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

considering there can only be one "ender invantory" per world i don't think it's too overpowered, not to mention the items you need to make it

Posted Image

NinjamesVDS
    NinjamesVDS

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1000 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostLocklear308, on 24 May 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

What the hell is the point of this topic then? Right now all I see is you whining that a feature was introduced that you don't like. So what? Are you under the illusion that Jeb will read this and think "Hey, one single person out of millions of players doesn't like this new feature I introduced. He is incapable of merely ignoring it though, he's just mad because it exists. I better take it out!"

I'll tell you now that 90% of people here are happy with the new ender chest. You can complain until you're blue in the face but don't expect much sympathy from other forum users. The majority won't even care.

Posted Image

Locklear308

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

I cannot understand how no one sees the issue with this.  I am quite saddened.
Posted Image

Jassie
    Jassie

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostLocklear308, on 24 May 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

I cannot understand how no one sees the issue with this.  I am quite saddened.
Well most of us are intelligent enough to know that this doesn't make the game easier at all. It just makes it less frustrating.
I'm usually not trying to be rude. So if a post comes across that way then sorry :]

WildCreeper

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

I think it should take a long time to mine (25 seconds) and only with a diamond pick.

or maybe only the diamond pick thing
Posted Image

Jathana
    Jathana

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

I don't think the Ender Chests are game-breaking simply because they're really more of an end-game item. By the time you're able to craft one, you've had to travel to the nether and collect a blaze rod. Now, I don't know about you, but by the time I've completed such a task, I've already established two or three bases, along with various outposts and/or mines. Then again, I prefer to take my time playing, so it's usually several hours in before I head underground with the intention of finding diamonds.

Jassie
    Jassie

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostWildCreeper, on 24 May 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

I think it should take a long time to mine (25 seconds) and only with a diamond pick.
Then lets do more to the enchanting table. Make it 45 seconds to mine and only with an Efficiency 4 diamond pick. It makes the game way easier than the Enderchest but no ones screaming for that to be nerfed right now.

redsand
    redsand

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Minecraft: redsand007

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

8 obsidian and an eye of ender seems like a reasonable expense for what it does.  You need to:

- Get 3 diamonds for a pick to get the 8 obsidian
- Kill enderman to get ender pearl
- Go to the nether, find a fortress, and kill a blaze for blaze powder

For the average player, that is a decent challenge.

Edit:  Actually double that because you need two chests.

I've never had the need or seen anyone have the need to carry more than a stack of food for anything.  Even with melon, it lasts a long time.  All it is doing is adding more convenience to the game for a reasonable price to pay.