Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Compact Long Timer (hours long)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

AkaSquirticus
  • Minecraft: Squirtdude

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

So i was messing around in my test world and i found out how to create a super long timer using T-Flip Flops (expect for one model) Basically you hook up a 5 minute timer and have the output go though a line of T-Flip Flops, each output going into next one. Every time you add a Flip Flop your time doubles! Here is some pictures to help you understand. Keep in mind, this is a proof of concept and will most likely change later.

My First Model, (40 mins timer)
Spoiler:

Better View
Spoiler:

My Next model. 5 and 1/2 hours! (be sure to replace the glass blocks with solid blocks)
Spoiler:

As you can see you can really get a lot of minutes in a small area. bad thing is it is in increments and the i have not came up with a way to reset it once it reaches the end but i will work on it. The increments are { 5,10,20,40,80,160,320.640...etc)  Obviously this idea can be used for lot's of things, most helpful would perhaps be a mob system timer. I hope you like it and if you have an suggestions let me know.

Register or log in to remove.

19CZimmerman
  • Minecraft: Crashconner

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Pretty useless.

But cool.

Dangerguy56

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Cool, i had no idea you could fit that into such a small area!

Maybe make a youtube video tutorial on how to build these new timers.
I have not failed... I have only invented a way not do it.

Autom
    Autom

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

You could use a 1-tick pulse based T-Flip-Flop (sticky pistons + 1-tick = awesomeness, look it up if you don't know what this does :P). And to reset them, you give them a 2 (or longer)-tick pulse. I made something similar in this post.

AkaSquirticus
  • Minecraft: Squirtdude

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Cool, will work on it later. i have some cool ideas.

PMental
    PMental

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • Minecraft: PMental

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

I don't know how it could be useless? I made one of these myself a short time ago, using 5 dispensers to make a 50 minute timer. It can be seen in my XP Farm video (see signature).

It is vital, because without it I would lag out my own server if I AFK and cannot watch the game closely. With the 50 minute timer, three cycles will bring me from level 0 to 50 without any risk of server lag.

I also use a dispenser based timer to auto harvest my melons, pumpkins and mushrooms.

I haven't done it yet, but I will probably also build one (or a few) to make my "chicken machine" FULLY automatic. Meaning it will breed chickens, wait 20 minutes for them to grow, then cook them automatically, spawn new chickens from the dispensers and repeat the process. All this is semi automatic now, meaning I have to push a couple of buttons to do it, and a lever for the dispensers.

So yeah, plenty of uses for this!
Be sure to check out my  Youtube channel for Fireworks (autofiring/autoloading), many minecart inventions, my "Chicken Machine" (breeding, egg farm and cooking) and many more inventions. In HD, new uploads every week.

TheKeeperOfPie
  • Minecraft: IGPX

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

This is basically the same concept as the binary counter long timer, except this one is less compact.

PMental
    PMental

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Which one is that? Link?
Be sure to check out my  Youtube channel for Fireworks (autofiring/autoloading), many minecart inventions, my "Chicken Machine" (breeding, egg farm and cooking) and many more inventions. In HD, new uploads every week.

TheKeeperOfPie
  • Minecraft: IGPX

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

Here's one example: http://www.youtube.c...&v=DxwdntQ5-hc#!

Thom
    Thom

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

This is a well-trod subject. If you want a super-long clock, build a large racetrack clock and chain TFFs onto the end, ad nauseum. For reasonably-sized clocks, racetracks give you a much longer delay in the same space when compared to reed clocks, daylight sensors, and the like. Normal item clocks would run out of items long before the long count had ticked once.

We tried to figure out how long of a clock you could fit in a single chunk, and it was 10^lots times the age of the universe.

PMental
    PMental

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

I can see how the binary counter could be useful with dispensers, but I don't see how a line of normal repeaters is more useful than dispensers when used as a long timer? A few repeaters could be replaced with a dispenser for a MUCH longer delay.

The example posted is much bigger for a single minute than my 50 minute timer is, I think I must have missed the point somewhere Posted Image

Or did you mean to combine dispensers with a counter?

SquidDeck
  • Minecraft: SquidDeck

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the design. It's nice!

Posted Image

FlippinSensation
  • Minecraft: FlippinSensation

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Just make an extreme delay circuit, or have two small clocks running at different ticks connected to an and gate.  It's more compact.
Posted Image

PMental
    PMental

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostFlippinSensation, on 04 June 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Just make an extreme delay circuit, or have two small clocks running at different ticks connected to an and gate.  It's more compact.
Any good simple formulas for calculating the delay of such contraptions?

brett122798

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

You could also use piston tapes, that's usually how Minecraft digital clocks are made.

Thom
    Thom

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostPMental, on 04 June 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

Any good simple formulas for calculating the delay of such contraptions?
A clock composed of several clocks ANDed together is known as a "racetrack clock". The period of a racetrack clock is the least common multiple of the periods of the constituent clocks, or "racetracks". When those periods are pairwise coprime (i.e. no two periods share a common factor greater than 1), this is the same as the product of the periods. For instance, a {15, 16} clock has a period of 240 ticks, but a {24, 16} clock would have a period of only 48 ticks.

PMental
    PMental

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Yes, but without counting that manually, is there a formula one could use?

Thom
    Thom

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Without counting what? Without counting the periods of the constituent clocks? Can't be done, even approximately. Without computing the LCM? Use a pairwise coprime set of periods for the constituent clocks. Without figuring out if that set is pairwise coprime? Use all prime numbers for the periods, or powers of distinct primes.

Goklayeh
    Goklayeh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostTheKeeperOfPie, on 23 May 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

This is basically the same concept as the binary counter long timer, except this one is less compact.
Exactly... Posted Image

View PostPMental, on 05 June 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Yes, but without counting that manually, is there a formula one could use?

Use this.  And give this topic of mine a look for a setup exemple. :)

Note that the "long timer and binary counter" allows for really longer delays as every added bit doubles the number it can go up to...

Goklayeh's Redstone Lab.

A guide and ressource map.

PMental
    PMental

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostGoklayeh, on 05 June 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Use this.  And give this topic of mine a look for a setup exemple. Posted Image

Note that the "long timer and binary counter" allows for really longer delays as every added bit doubles the number it can go up to...
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!