Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Properties of glowstone

glowstone instant or instant diode vertical transmission redstone

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Selulance

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

The instant RS Latch is a design by jp86ll on the forums and on youtube, Give him credit, not me :)

Register or log in to remove.

yairxd
    yairxd

Carpenter

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostJosh_d_boss, on 22 May 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Glowstone-based BUD

Spoiler:

i think i've got a smaller design
Spoiler:
the output is a one tick pulse so you can easily make this into a t-bud by adding a sticky piston to the output
don't mind me. I just lurk a lot ^.^

Josh_d_boss

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

View Postyairxd, on 26 May 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

i think i've got a smaller design
Spoiler:
the output is a one tick pulse so you can easily make this into a t-bud by adding a sticky piston to the output

Awesome! I will add it when I have time. Is that your creation or is it someone else's? I'd like to give credits to the proper person.

yairxd
    yairxd

Carpenter

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostJosh_d_boss, on 26 May 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Awesome! I will add it when I have time. Is that your creation or is it someone else's? I'd like to give credits to the proper person.

i did come up with it myself. But it's so simple that anyone could've thought of it
don't mind me. I just lurk a lot ^.^

Josh_d_boss

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

I've added a D Flip-Flop guys, it's not the smallest nor the fastest, but it does use part of the glowstone SR Latch and is very simple to make.

Josh_d_boss

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:06 AM

Bump

101 210
    101 210

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sorry for the semi-bump, but I cant seem to reproduce either the SR latch nor the bud switch.

I'm using 1.2.5

Can anyone confirm it work/dont work?

Josh_d_boss

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Post101 210, on 03 June 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Sorry for the semi-bump, but I cant seem to reproduce either the SR latch nor the bud switch.

I'm using 1.2.5

Can anyone confirm it work/dont work?

I'm using 1.2.5 as well and it works great. Just a couple things though: did you put the glowstone block in the middle for the SR Latch? Also, make sure there are wires on the purple blocks (they weren't colored in the original pic, but I changed it), or the system won't work. If it still doesn't work though, I'm not sure what the problem is unfortunately, but since the devices rely on a glitch/quirk, the system could be direction-dependent :(.

101 210
    101 210

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ok, that was the problem. It need to be facing either f0 or f2

Josh_d_boss

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

View Post101 210, on 03 June 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Ok, that was the problem. It need to be facing either f0 or f2

Oh bummer... Well, I've added a warning on the designs using this quirk that it needs to face the proper direction. Thanks for pointing that out.

101 210
    101 210

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

tinkering a bit with your bud switch design, I found that if you mirror it (by adding another glowstone and wire to the other side), you get a very strange double BUD switch.

If you cause an update to one of the glowstone, it will pulse, but even if it receive another update, it wont pulse again as long as the other glowstone received an update. So it goes left, then right, then left, etc.

I'm sure someone will find a use for that :P

TurchwouldArkeyev

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

Glowstone and redstone is a big problem for me, as I don't like the look of redstone lamps and prefer to keep glowstone constantly lit while running wiring behind it. Thank you for making this.

Josh_d_boss

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Post101 210, on 04 June 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

tinkering a bit with your bud switch design, I found that if you mirror it (by adding another glowstone and wire to the other side), you get a very strange double BUD switch.

If you cause an update to one of the glowstone, it will pulse, but even if it receive another update, it wont pulse again as long as the other glowstone received an update. So it goes left, then right, then left, etc.

I'm sure someone will find a use for that Posted Image

Basically it acts like two BUDS each connected to an input of an SR Latch if I understand correctly? Doesn't seem like anything new, but it might have some exclusive uses, who knows ? :)

View PostTurchwouldArkeyev, on 04 June 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

Glowstone and redstone is a big problem for me, as I don't like the look of redstone lamps and prefer to keep glowstone constantly lit while running wiring behind it. Thank you for making this.

No problem, always glad to help others.

Jokah
    Jokah

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Minecraft: J0kah

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

I've recently just come back to mine craft. I can't believe I'm only just finding this out about glowstone. This info has already proved helpful. Thanks.

Josh_d_boss

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostJokah, on 14 June 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

I've recently just come back to mine craft. I can't believe I'm only just finding this out about glowstone. This info has already proved helpful. Thanks.

Hehe. Actually, these features have only been added since the 1.1 or 1.2 update I believe, so they haven't been there for long. Most probably what happened is it was released while you were on your sabbatical. :)

N-Sane
    N-Sane

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

One thing worth noting is that the rs latch does safe the strentgh of the input signal. You can store up to 10 different on states.

the left line is the Reset, and on the right side are the set options.
Flipping a lever will raise all pistons up to it's individual color.
So this latch can contain a lot more information than a single bit. It has 11 different settings (10 on states+ off state).
picture:
Spoiler:

edit: Hmm maybe I'll try to build a multi-state RAM out of it to test if it is compact (doubt it, since the read/write section need a lot of space). Would be nice to have a RAM that can handle decimal^^

edit2 : found a strange behaviour: you can "downgrade" the power state by up to 2 levels (eg: if you have white on you can use pink and light green. all other levers won't do anything)

Josh_d_boss

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostN-Sane, on 15 June 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

One thing worth noting is that the rs latch does safe the strentgh of the input signal. You can store up to 10 different on states.

the left line is the Reset, and on the right side are the set options.
Flipping a lever will raise all pistons up to it's individual color.
So this latch can contain a lot more information than a single bit. It has 11 different settings (10 on states+ off state).
picture:
Spoiler:

edit: Hmm maybe I'll try to build a multi-state RAM out of it to test if it is compact (doubt it, since the read/write section need a lot of space). Would be nice to have a RAM that can handle decimal^^

edit2 : found a strange behaviour: you can "downgrade" the power state by up to 2 levels (eg: if you have white on you can use pink and light green. all other levers won't do anything)
Hmm... clever idea! The only problem with it though is that a decoder and encoder would have to be integrated if one wanted to make a multiple-state RAM and that would probably make it bigger and slower than 3 d flip-flops strapped together. I could see a few applications where it could be useful though, such as adventure maps puzzles or a combination lock with all levers one next to eachother.

N-Sane
    N-Sane

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yeah it isn't really useful after all. There is no way to transport the signal in a reasonable size.
But I guess it is never wrong to know the details.