Ruirize
    Ruirize

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Minecraft: Ruirize

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Nothing.

You are all forgetting that the survival multiplayer game will be pay only. A person cannot just create a new account if they are banned, it has real-world consequences. Griefers get banned, and don't come back.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

8bit
    8bit

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thank you.

Still, even if it is survival, we want to create an environment in which people are able to cooperate. One of the issues with not thinking about this at all is that, even if there are few griefers, it's very likely that we just wont end up working together, and we'll all end up living in holes. I think this is a pretty good solution:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14050

Along with other traps.

kholhaus
    kholhaus

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1601 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

I'm sure since they have nothing better to do they'll just buck up and pay another 30$ for another full-grief session.
Also, most of these solutions are to stop first-time griefing.
"It is always nice to have a sense of improbability in Littlebigplanet. FROGMORTON. Heh, you didn't expect that now did you?"
-Stephen Fry

Ruirize
    Ruirize

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Really now? Most griefers are kids / prepubescents with nothing better to do. They most certainly won't pay again.

@8Bit. Medieval Times much? People will bond together while there are bases that can support more than one person. A newbie joins the server and finds a huge base with one occupant. He asks if he can help out / live there.

Posted Image

8bit
    8bit

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Ruirize said:

@8Bit. Medieval Times much?

TNT was first prepared in 1863 much? Further, I wasn't aware there was such a bustling creeper population in the 14th century.

People will bond together while there are bases that can support more than one person. A newbie joins the server and finds a huge base with one occupant. He asks if he can help out / live there.

And how do those bases form?

Lordofq
    Lordofq

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

I doubt you'll get permabanned from the entire game after one grief reporting.  Likely they can just move to a new server until they really are completely banned.

raquzzic2
    raquzzic2

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2053 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

griefers arent just kids, they can also be 25-??? year olds who have nothing to do becqause they failed life, so they would make notch rich if it gives them alts...  Average gamer is 30 or so!
Posted Image

dra6o0n said:

Magic have a bigger priority than Technology when it comes to combat, but Mining and Crafting a bigger priority to Magic.
facepalm of the month- dra6o0n

Ruirize
    Ruirize

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

8bit said:

Ruirize said:

@8Bit. Medieval Times much?

TNT was first prepared in 1863 much? Further, I wasn't aware there was such a bustling creeper population in the 14th century.

People will bond together while there are bases that can support more than one person. A newbie joins the server and finds a huge base with one occupant. He asks if he can help out / live there.

And how do those bases form?

@TNT Get over it, we haven't even got autoturrets IRL yet.

@Bases People like me, who aspire to create a utility or service that people will enjoy and use.
I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when someone uses something I've made and enjoys it. It's this sense of satisfaction that will keep Minecraft together.

Lordofq said:

I doubt you'll get permabanned from the entire game after one grief reporting.  Likely they can just move to a new server until they really are completely banned.
This way griefers cannot cause mass damage to one server, instead causing minimal damage to several, that can be repaired quickly.

raquzzic2 said:

griefers arent just kids, they can also be 25-??? year olds who have nothing to do becqause they failed life, so they would make notch rich if it gives them alts...  Average gamer is 30 or so!
This new generation of gamers, the people who will be 30 in 15 years time, are the ones who are against griefing of all kind. Nobody nowadays likes seeing games ruined by no-lifes.

Posted Image

raquzzic2
    raquzzic2

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2053 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Ruirize, that doesnt mean it wont happen.
Posted Image

dra6o0n said:

Magic have a bigger priority than Technology when it comes to combat, but Mining and Crafting a bigger priority to Magic.
facepalm of the month- dra6o0n

Ruirize
    Ruirize

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

But it will be greatly quashed by the obstical of rebuying each time. Someone who has money to throw away on an online game will have much more important things to do.

Posted Image

8bit
    8bit

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

Ruirize said:

@TNT Get over it

@turrets Get over it

we haven't even got autoturrets IRL yet.

We don't have zombies, living skeletons, human-sized spiders, or creepers yet either...

Minecraft isn't medieval themed. If anything it's Tolkien themed, but it's hardly even that, and I'm pretty sure the LotR universe has sentries/turrets. If you want to play a medieval themed game, go play Mount & Blade. It's a great game.

@Bases People like me, who aspire to create a utility or service that people will enjoy and use.
I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when someone uses something I've made and enjoys it. It's this sense of satisfaction that will keep Minecraft together.

Will you still get that fuzzy feeling when someone goes into your utility/base and steals everything out of all the chests while you're offline? Because that will be me, and I'd rather have the game balanced so that it's challenging for me to rob you.

nebb
    nebb

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1688 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

Wow a brialliant idea and by the way griefers i would say are probably sad old people.
wooper wrote:
Mod edit: The rules specifically discourage writing stories about Pikachu defecating on other members.

Currency in Minecraft?! Hell no!
Anarcho-Communists of Minecraftia

Posted Image

Lordofq
    Lordofq

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Ruirize said:

This way griefers cannot cause mass damage to one server, instead causing minimal damage to several, that can be repaired quickly.
That's what I meant, it's still really annoying though.

Jeffman12

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

Griefers come from every age group.In a game it typically starts from some kid not knowing how to conduct themselves in a public environment online, and then older people catch on because they think trolling is 'lyk t3h awesum & stuff' so they're going to go buy a game just to inconvenience 't3h totz lozars dat ply it'. The irony being that they're even more of a loser than they think everyone else is because they the paid the same money to participate in an activity they look down on just to try to get other people to notice them.

renadi
    renadi

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1968 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

I think this is close to what I actual game measures I want done about griefing, there are people who do things like this in real life too, and most of the time we let it slide because they're not smart enough to know any better, but when someone actually gets hurt, that's when the law comes into play, and when mods can ban someone from a server, I don't really see what other punishment there needs to be, you know someone truly misbehaved? Ban them, everyone's happy, someon's being a little mischevious, well. . . have fun, deal with it yourself, there are low-lives everywhere, and most of the time you have to take things into your own hands,
in short, if someone is truly a griefer, ban them;
if someone just enjoys a little harmless mischief, learn to defend yourself.

Owl8
    Owl8

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

*Cough cough*
People like kaitou and beardbeard

Plus, if you aren't really suggesting anything then this should be in discussion
Do not use sterotypes in humor

Alexandervo

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

8bit said:

Ruirize said:

@TNT Get over it

@turrets Get over it

we haven't even got autoturrets IRL yet.

We don't have zombies, living skeletons, human-sized spiders, or creepers yet either...

Minecraft isn't medieval themed. If anything it's Tolkien themed, but it's hardly even that, and I'm pretty sure the LotR universe has sentries/turrets. If you want to play a medieval themed game, go play Mount & Blade. It's a great game.

Will you still get that fuzzy feeling when someone goes into your utility/base and steals everything out of all the chests while you're offline? Because that will be me, and I'd rather have the game balanced so that it's challenging for me to rob you.

Stop adverting for your thread! Turrets are a bad idea because they will be massed, no matter how expensive, not to mention there a powerful greifing tool on there own. Just wait until you walk out of your house only to be peppered from a line of turrets...

dorsidwarf said:

whut would you actually se them for? other than other implausibkle suggestions?
spell check  died today...

Ruirize
    Ruirize

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Lordofq said:

Ruirize said:

That's what I meant, it's still really annoying though.
It may be annoying, but it's a much better option than specifically designing an anti-grief system.
You ban them, they can't come back 'till they pay again, or go to another server and have the same done to them.

I think that pretty much all of the servers will have a ranking system built for this sort of thing.

Posted Image

8bit
    8bit

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

Alexandervo said:

Stop adverting for your thread! Turrets are a bad idea because they will be massed, no matter how expensive, not to mention there a powerful greifing tool on there own. Just wait until you walk out of your house only to be peppered from a line of turrets...

Did you read the thread? They wouldn't shoot unless you build or destroy blocks.

Ruirize
    Ruirize

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

8bit said:

Alexandervo said:

Did you read the thread? They wouldn't shoot unless you build or destroy blocks.
HEY!

We are discussing my suggestion of using no antigrief. Shut up or get out.

Posted Image