Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Something is definitely limiting my framerate to 60fps

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

CraftFresh
  • Minecraft: tescoman1

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hi, I have a AMD Centurion http://compare.ebay....&var=sbar&cbt=y (Link to the PC) It has a 3.0ghz processor with 4gb of ram, the graphics card is good (ATI Radeon HD 4600 series) and I am more than qualified to run Minecraft more than 60fps. I know that anything more than 60fps the human eye can't see but something is limiting my computer to this. I have Minecraft on Max FPS. As soon as it goes around 62 fps or whatever it limits it back straight away, is there any way to stop this? Or is my Minecraft just ACTUALLY running at 60fps?
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Craftiyan
  • Minecraft: bdejean

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

There's something I've been wondering about.

If FPS = Frames per second, shouldn't 60 FPS be about twice as fast as the Human eye can see (about 30 frames per second?)
Let’s play good guys against bad guys… Yes. Let’s play that. Are you ready? You’re the bad guy. And when you’re bad, you just run. That’s fine right? Well… Shall we play?

CraftFresh

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostCraftiyan, on 18 May 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

There's something I've been wondering about.

If FPS = Frames per second, shouldn't 60 FPS be about twice as fast as the Human eye can see (about 30 frames per second?)

No, the human eye can see up to 60fps
Posted Image

Enquent
    Enquent

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Minecraft: Enquent

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

I thought the issue was that anything over 60FPS is useless because most monitors don't have a refresh rate over 60 hertz? Or something along those lines.
Posted Image
It doesn't matter whether I support or object to the subject at hand, if your argument is stupid I am against you.

Gatling_Tech
  • Minecraft: "GLaDOS".

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostEnquent, on 18 May 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

I thought the issue was that anything over 60FPS is useless because most monitors don't have a refresh rate over 60 hertz? Or something along those lines.
this, unless you have a super expensive 120 Hz monitor.

also the phenoms are a bit dated, [by dated, i mean they don't even make them anymore :P]

VerifiedNutcase
  • Minecraft: VerifiedNutcase

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

I don't know where it came from, but the human eye can definitely see more than 60 fps. If you have a monitor with a 60hz refresh rate then yes, you won't be able to 'see' a higher framerate, although that isn't due to a limitation of your eyes.

Gatling_Tech

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostVerifiedNutcase, on 18 May 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

I don't know where it came from, but the human eye can definitely see more than 60 fps. If you have a monitor with a 60hz refresh rate then yes, you won't be able to 'see' a higher framerate, although that isn't due to a limitation of your eyes.
[citation needed]

turek279
    turek279

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3558 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Well, you know what? When I play on my laptop, I get 10-70 fps. But mostly around 20. So stop complaining, I can't notice any screen lag on 20 fps so why in the world would you care about getting 70 fps?

Megaloneus
  • Minecraft: Megaloneus

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

View Postturek279, on 18 May 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Well, you know what? When I play on my laptop, I get 10-70 fps. But mostly around 20. So stop complaining, I can't notice any screen lag on 20 fps so why in the world would you care about getting 70 fps?
I've played at both levels. While 20 fps is certainly playable, anything above 40 is far smoother and I enjoy playing it more.

Also, thread moved from Discussion to Minecraft Game Client Support.
Quote me to be sure to get a response!

WTFClock said:

He who lives in a water house should not throw sponges.

BC_Programming
  • Minecraft: BC_Programming

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostMaryseOulette, on 18 May 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Anything over 60 fps is useless, your eye cannot detect anything more than that.

The human eye doesn't see in "fps".

The Human Eye- and more precisely, the Visual Cortex- are capable of perceiving far more than 100 stimuli per second.

As most people know, we essentially see by manner of having light focused on our retinas by the lens, the shape of which is controlled by the iris. This stimuli passes from the retina through the optic nerve where it is post-processed by our Visual Cortex- this post-processing applies things like "removing" the blind spot where the nerve fibers coalesce into the optic nerve, as well as flipping the image and performing other processing that our ancestors found useful for survival; (part of this processing also has the side effect of making motion pictures possible around 24 fps).

What is important to realize is we do not see in frames. The information the Visual Cortex interprets is not a still image; we don't see in a series of "frames"; what we see and our brain interprets us as seeing is a combination of several things. If we had a video of a thick plasma fractal moving slowly about, or fog- even at 10 fps it would look smooth. This is because the difference between successive frames is small enough that our brain will implicitly "fill in the gaps" for us.

Our visual system is extremely advanced. No computer exists that has the image processing capability of our Visual Cortex. The typical computer display uses, at most, 32-bit colour; 24 bits of which are used for the red green and blue components of an image; the sRGB space itself cannot represent every single possible colour we can see. 24-bit colour gives 16.7 Million different possible colours, but the average human eye has the capability to perceive billions of different colours. Lightning is only in the sky for thousandths of a second.  if we only saw at "60fps" we wouldn't be able to see lightning. But we do. Why? Because we don't see in "steps" of frames; the input to the eye, as I covered previous, is streaming and continuous, and what we see is the processed result based on what we just saw as well as what is "coming in" now.

Aside from VSync, I believe one of the Minecraft performance options may cap the framerate as well, using excess timeslices to read and write chunks.

VerifiedNutcase
  • Minecraft: VerifiedNutcase

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostGatling_Tech, on 18 May 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

[citation needed]
Look at a fast-spinning fan. Notice how that you see a blur, rather than 'frames' of the blades spinning? Now, look at an object on a monitor shown spinning at 60fps. You'll immediately notice you never get that 'blur' effect. Instead, you see the individual frames of the object at various points of the spin.

Unless practical evidence available to any person with properly functioning eyes isn't enough of a citation?

Gatling_Tech

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostVerifiedNutcase, on 18 May 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Look at a fast-spinning fan. Notice how that you see a blur, rather than 'frames' of the blades spinning? Now, look at an object on a monitor shown spinning at 60fps. You'll immediately notice you never get that 'blur' effect. Instead, you see the individual frames of the object at various points of the spin.

Unless practical evidence available to any person with properly functioning eyes isn't enough of a citation?
because real life = things displayed on a computer screen.[/sarcasm] verified's post was worded in a way that almost completely contradicted what i've seen elsewhere bc_programming and this website did a better job at explaining things

CraftFresh

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

View Postsnackcrackers137, on 18 May 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Why are people talking about computers so much today?

I'm pretty sure that "only 60 fps" is a good framerate and you only posted this to gloat about how a "bad framerate" for you is a good framerate for other people.
No, when I record it goes down to 30fps

P.s I dont have vsyncD:
Posted Image

Craftiyan
  • Minecraft: bdejean

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Have you tried installing Optifine?  I've tried it with TMI, ModLoader, and Forge, and there seems to be no incompatibility.
Let’s play good guys against bad guys… Yes. Let’s play that. Are you ready? You’re the bad guy. And when you’re bad, you just run. That’s fine right? Well… Shall we play?

Neon_ColorsFTW22
  • Minecraft: NeonColorsAero

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ya optifine is a good solution if you see FPS problems

I use the smooth version of it

Posted Image

Pyro
    Pyro

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1358 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostGatling_Tech, on 18 May 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

[citation needed]
no it's 100% true
refresh rate means how many times each second you candraw to the screen i.e framerate if the monitor has 60Hz refresh rate then it can't update more than 60 times a second
so let's say a monitor has a refresh rate of 30Hz then it can only draw 30 frames each second and therefore if you are trying to display more than 30 fps you may end up with something that looks like this (screen tearing)
Spoiler:
because the monitor tries to display two or more frames at the same time to achieve the framerate that the GPU draw
that is why you use Vsync, to limit the GPU from drawing anything over the monitors refresh rate

correct me if i'm wrong

View Postnoobkilla123, on 28 May 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

c is good but java maked minecraft so java can make better games with blocks so i would pick java

INACTIVE - RARELY VISIT THE FORUMS, IF YOU FOR SOME ODD REASON NEED ME, SEND A PM!

CraftFresh

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostCraftiyan, on 19 May 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Have you tried installing Optifine?  I've tried it with TMI, ModLoader, and Forge, and there seems to be no incompatibility.
Yeah Optifine doesn't do much (increases it about 2fps(well it probably doesn't actually my fps fluctuates alot) but all I want know is what is LIMITING IT to 60fps, nothing else. It used to run around 100-200fps. I know you can't notice over 60fps but I want to see what my computer gets anyway plus im super OCD
Posted Image