• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Fences and Gates

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Armored Cow

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Simple enough, I think that we should be able to make fences and gates, very similarly to how we currently craft doors and ladders.

The recipes could be something like this:

Posted Image
For the fence.  Simply a ladder, sideways!

Posted Image
Originally I figured a gate could be 4 crates in a square, since it's half a door, but realized that the recipe is already taken by the workbench.

Thoughts?
The more Swiss cheese you have, the more holes you have.
The more holes you have, the less Swiss cheese you have.
Therefore, the more Swiss cheese you have the less Swiss cheese you have.

Register or log in to remove.

Sjogras
    Sjogras

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

I think we need some kinds of fences for farms ect. Also the crafting recipes seem okay. I'm all in +1.
Posted Image

Ditherliss

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Already suggested, but the recipes are new. +1
Posted Image
I post too much.

nebb
    nebb

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1688 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

i like those methods to creating them. 1 question can you junp over a gate or fence.
wooper wrote:
Mod edit: The rules specifically discourage writing stories about Pikachu defecating on other members.

Currency in Minecraft?! Hell no!
Anarcho-Communists of Minecraftia

Posted Image

Armored Cow

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Yes that would be the big question.  Because honestly if you can jump over fences there's really no reason to have gates I guess.

EDIT:  Actually you would definitely not be able to jump over fences/gates because then they would be completely useless save aesthetics.
The more Swiss cheese you have, the more holes you have.
The more holes you have, the less Swiss cheese you have.
Therefore, the more Swiss cheese you have the less Swiss cheese you have.

Mive
    Mive

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

Armored Cow said:

Yes that would be the big question.  Because honestly if you can jump over fences there's really no reason to have gates I guess.

EDIT:  Actually you would definitely not be able to jump over fences/gates because then they would be completely useless save aesthetics.

They wouldn't be useless if we could have animals in there ;)

Anyways, i'm totally up for fences and gates :)
Minecraft, lovely Minecraft :D
Posted Image  Posted Image

adamater

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Gate should be using sticks aswell, You dont have a solid gate.

http://www.hooverfen... ... m-gate.jpg
like this.

Tetsuoh
    Tetsuoh

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:39 AM

Mive said:

Armored Cow said:

They wouldn't be useless if we could have animals in there :lol:

Anyways, i'm totally up for fences and gates :stone:

yes but pigs and sheep can jump one block just like we can - hence the problem.

we need a fence to keep them either in or out.
"So we step away from the mainstream and live like vagabonds and common dropouts. A psychedelic rhapsody for someone just like you."

nebb
    nebb

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1688 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Mabye theres a bit that goes above the cube  that the fence is in, probably the spikey bit so you can still build on top of it.
wooper wrote:
Mod edit: The rules specifically discourage writing stories about Pikachu defecating on other members.

Currency in Minecraft?! Hell no!
Anarcho-Communists of Minecraftia

Posted Image

Swingerzetta
  • Minecraft: Swingerzetta

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

I liked the idea from the past of having one-block-high fences allow players to jump over them, but prevent animals from doing so.  It doesn't quite make sense, but we can pretend that players are using their hands to help them climb over, like in real life.

TerraSleet
  • Minecraft: TerraSleet

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

Or we can prevent four-legged mobs (pigs, sheep, POSSIBLY creepers) from jumping at all. That's a much easier (and more realistic as a side-effect) solution, and prevents fences from being a super-barrier to everything except people.

Give mob species a variable like "CanJump" which is set to each species. If CanJump is true, put jumping into account with path-finding (aka current path-finding system). Else, find a path which is flat, moving downwards only if there's no other path. Have a preference to move to blocks which are on the same altitude. This prevents pigs and stuff roaming around and getting constantly stuck in a ditch due to running down and not being able to run back up.

Also fences should be placeable in the same way as the current doors but be able to have a fence on each "side" of a block. So we can have corners and a 1-block fenced area. i.e., more than 1 piece of fence can be placed on a block, 1 for each side.
Posted Image

8bit
    8bit

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Tetsuoh said:

yes but pigs and sheep can jump one block just like we can - hence the problem.

we need a fence to keep them either in or out.

...They could just be programed so that they won't jump over fences/gates.

Winkie4
    Winkie4

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Minecraft: Defcon16

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

If sheep and pigs couldn't jump, wouldn't they always drown? On topic - Fences and Gates are a great idea! I can definitely see them being added, and anyway, I need some of those for my graveyard  :twisted:
"science is pretty much the best" - everyone

jkeller40000

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

i am so confused, did he put in gates?  i have half doors, well they look just like the gate, i had coal then i killed a sheep, and some how i don't know when exactly, but my coal turned to half doors, the bottom half,

ohh how sad it was just my computer glitching, the game froze ;)  well they are so interesting,  if i place them two next to eachother and open one they both turn to regular doors that you pick up
Posted Image

Dasaru
    Dasaru

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

jkeller40000 said:

i am so confused, did he put in gates?
Notch put in doors. And yea, they kinda look like a gate door, which brings me to what I'm about to say:

We don't need gate door for the fence, because you can just use a door. That'd be too much extra coding for Notch, and I think the doors right now look good. What we need is a fence that spans 2 squares high - Just like the door! Except this one can't be opened, looks like a fence and has different material cost. It can be placed on the ground just like the door. It's almost like copying and pasting code... hehe  (ok, probably not that easy)

I like the idea of fences. +1
I'm sure Notch has read our posts about fences. I'm sure he'll add them (or the equivalent) in the future.

suicideking0 said:

Vincenzo said:

Really? I hire migrant Filipino children to mine for me! Ah, capitalism at it's best.  [iapprove]
Someone should sig this. But not me.

Feeling Lonely in Minecraft?

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Minecraft: 205

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

add another bum to yr list!

Janck
    Janck

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

It does not stop evolving :Sheep:

Animals shouldn't jump over the fences. Where's the point of that than?
Minecraft strategy guide - tips and advices: http://minecraftstrategyguide.net

KaosRitual
  • Minecraft: Mehrin

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Fences are already in minecraft. They are one block high, but cannot be jumped over by anyone. http://www.minecraft...net/wiki/Fences
It is criminal to steal a purse, daring to steal a fortune, a mark of greatness to steal a crown. The blame diminishes as the guilt increases. http://i1190.photobu...craftBanner.jpg

Erinome
    Erinome

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

Gates are modded, so they are in the game... kind of anyway :soil:

ail_t
    ail_t

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 977 posts
  • Minecraft: ail_t

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

205 said:

add another bum to yr list!

What, you who just posted in a nearly year old thread?

Janck said:

It does not stop evolving :Diamond:

Animals shouldn't jump over the fences. Where's the point of that than?

You're new.

KaosRitual said:

Fences are already in minecraft. They are one block high, but cannot be jumped over by anyone. http://www.minecraft...net/wiki/Fences

Wahey, lets give this guy a standing ovation! Seriously, read the bloody post time

Erinome said:

Gates are modded, so they are in the game... kind of anyway :Diamond:

Uh... not really... no.