• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Using MCEdit on xbox map?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

tgiarchangel

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

I found a few schematics that would look great with the world I'm building on xbox.
Is it possible to load an xbox map on MCEdit to add them? Or is the only way of to do so mean recreating it brick by brick from the pc version?

Register or log in to remove.

acewingman

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm not sure the differences with the data structures but I do know that the PC 1.6.6 version generates the exact same world as the Xbox version. I have done a couple seeds in both and they are identical all the way down to the grass.

tgiarchangel

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I guess the only way to find out is to try.
I'll post results here if anyone is interested.

DarkRubberNeck
  • Minecraft: DarkRubberNeck
  • Xbox:DarkRubberNeck

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

4J should sell a mcedit like dlc. Selling it would make Microsoft happy, and just having the ability to build our own maps would make all of us happy ^-^

tgiarchangel

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostDarkRubberNeck, on 16 May 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

4J should sell a mcedit like dlc. Selling it would make Microsoft happy, and just having the ability to build our own maps would make all of us happy ^-^
This would be awesome.
As for the results of my experiment. it doesn't work. Even after dismantling an xbox save into it's base components.
A shame really.

Figroll
    Figroll

Diamond Miner

• Retired Staff
  • 869 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

I hope they don't, I dislike mcedit, it's cheating really.

Imo if you can't be bothered building something Normally, don't bother. :)

Zenodorus
  • Minecraft: Zenodorus

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostFigroll, on 16 May 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Imo if you can't be bothered building something Normally, don't bother. Posted Image

I totally disagree.

Although you can use MCEdit to multiply your structures, its main use is to repair broken worlds and to copy your buildings from older versions (like Alpha and Beta save games) to up to date worlds.

With the many changes in world generation this is a quite useful tool. Especially if you like to build big and don't want to loose your work with every major update.

Also when creating adventure maps, this tool can become very handy. Posted Image

Posted Image

acewingman

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Why is it every time someone wants to save some time with Minecraft it is called cheating? Who cares how the game is played.Use your resources the way you want to and stop labeling everybody a cheater. If you want to spend the rest of your life looking for materials then go right ahead. After the first week since the release of this game there has been more than 5 million man hours wasted playing this game. I bet there are other things you could do with your time than looking for diamonds in Minecraft!

tgiarchangel

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostFigroll, on 16 May 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Imo if you can't be bothered building something Normally, don't bother. Posted Image

It's not cheating, but it is useful if you suck at building airships and you want an airship in your map.

Alchemilla

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

View Posttgiarchangel, on 16 May 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

I guess the only way to find out is to try.
I'll post results here if anyone is interested.

MCedit is coded for pc saves and just that. Other than this, the xbox version doesn't use the new world format for 1.2.5, anvil. it's definetely not going to work

coolmon180

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

View Postacewingman, on 16 May 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Why is it every time someone wants to save some time with Minecraft it is called cheating? Who cares how the game is played.Use your resources the way you want to and stop labeling everybody a cheater. If you want to spend the rest of your life looking for materials then go right ahead. After the first week since the release of this game there has been more than 5 million man hours wasted playing this game. I bet there are other things you could do with your time than looking for diamonds in Minecraft!
i bet that your a robber. you lie and cheat so you dont care about cheating. play the game right or dont play it at all

LethalAnt
  • Minecraft: LethalAnt
  • Xbox:xXLethalAntXx

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

actually, there might be a way.... i havent tried this but if your desperate you could try it....

pre- steps (IMPORTANT: FOLLOW THESE STEPS BEFORE ANYTHING!!!)

pre-step 1: configure a flash drive to your xbox with atleast 2 gb of storage

pre-step 2: MOVE a profile to your portable device (MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR XBL EMAIL AND PASSWORD)

OFFICIAL STEPS

step 1: download modio

step 2: plug in your xbox configured flash drive or storage device

step 3: click "explore a device"

step 4: select your profile

step 5: navigate your way to your minecraft game

step 6: go to the save you want

step 7: your save should contain a level.dat

step 8: click and COPY THE WHOLE SAVE NOT JUST THE LEVEL.DAT to your desktop

step 9: open mc edit

step 10: click OPEN A LEVEL

step 11: navigate your way to the desktop where your save file is

step 12: click on your save file and click the level.dat

step 13: when your done adding whatever you want, save and exit

step 14: drag the save file back to the portable device

step 15: after you do that, double click your save file in the modio folder

step 16: click rehash and resign

AND WALLA YOUR DONE

(thats my theory)

hope it helps :)

Mobyguy77
    Mobyguy77

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2114 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostLethalAnt, on 08 June 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

actually, there might be a way.... i havent tried this but if your desperate you could try it....

pre- steps (IMPORTANT: FOLLOW THESE STEPS BEFORE ANYTHING!!!)

pre-step 1: configure a flash drive to your xbox with atleast 2 gb of storage

pre-step 2: MOVE a profile to your portable device (MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR XBL EMAIL AND PASSWORD)

OFFICIAL STEPS

step 1: download modio

step 2: plug in your xbox configured flash drive or storage device

step 3: click "explore a device"

step 4: select your profile

step 5: navigate your way to your minecraft game

step 6: go to the save you want

step 7: your save should contain a level.dat

step 8: click and COPY THE WHOLE SAVE NOT JUST THE LEVEL.DAT to your desktop

step 9: open mc edit

step 10: click OPEN A LEVEL

step 11: navigate your way to the desktop where your save file is

step 12: click on your save file and click the level.dat

step 13: when your done adding whatever you want, save and exit

step 14: drag the save file back to the portable device

step 15: after you do that, double click your save file in the modio folder

step 16: click rehash and resign

AND WALLA YOUR DONE

(thats my theory)

hope it helps Posted Image

No. It wont work. Are you a baboon? (No offense)

EDIT: And its "voila!" BTW, not "walla" Posted Image

Check out my "About Me" page - Quote me to make sure I see your reply!

Posted Image

RULES - GM - MG - SYC - SERVERS - M&M - FORUMS - OT

CDarklock
  • Xbox:CDarklock

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

View Postcoolmon180, on 16 May 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

i bet that your a robber. you lie and cheat so you dont care about cheating. play the game right or dont play it at all

The problem here is that some people think Minecraft is a game, and other people think Minecraft is a toy. Neither group is objectively right, and both groups have a perfectly valid reason to play however the hell they want.

The key difference here is to factor "cheating" down to what it really means: breaking the rules.

Who made the rules?

Your idea of what the rules are is based primarily on your idea of what would be fun - and, conversely, what makes the fun go away.

Personally, I play on Easy mode - not because Normal mode is too hard, but because Peaceful is too easy. If there are no mobs at all, what is the point? Similarly, I don't see the appeal of Creative mode, let alone MCEdit. To me, the fun part is to go out and gather resources. That is what I consider the "game." I think mob spawners are cheating; you should just build traps where monsters naturally spawn.

But those are my rules. They don't have to be your rules.

Some people act like they really just wanted to play Farmville. They have massive wheat farms that need perpetual attention to plant and harvest and bake bread and shit. To them, this is fun. I don't get it. I like mushroom farms, which need zero attention. You just walk in when you need mushrooms and take some.

Some people want to automate the gathering. That is what they consider the game: to solve the scarcity problem. They want bigger and more complex and more productive monster spawners that generate more and more items per hour.

And still other people just want to build cool shit and show it to other people. They aren't even playing a game; they're playing with a toy.

You can't cheat with a toy. There aren't any rules. Or, more accurately, there is no consensus on what the rules are.

Minecraft is not just one game. It's a lot of games. And what would be "cheating" in one is quite often the entire point in another.

View PostMobyguy77, on 08 June 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

Actually, it's voilà, with an accent grave. But that's just pedantic. Posted Image

Mobyguy77
    Mobyguy77

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2114 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostCDarklock, on 08 June 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Actually, it's voilà, with an accent grave. But that's just pedantic. Posted Image

My keyboard only does "forward" accents [á's Posted Image (ctrl+alt+vowel)]

Posted Image

LethalAnt
  • Minecraft: LethalAnt
  • Xbox:xXLethalAntXx

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostMobyguy77, on 08 June 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

No. It wont work. Are you a baboon? (No offense)

well have you tried it?

Mobyguy77
    Mobyguy77

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2114 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostLethalAnt, on 08 June 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

well have you tried it?
You dont need to. The maps are saved in different ways; MCedit is not compatible.

Posted Image

One_with_the_Block

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postcoolmon180, on 16 May 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

I have to ask, why do you care? Is it really cheating? CDarklock has some good points but I have to add on,

If the player does this in his world it affects only him (or her). Can you really compare it to robbery or cheating when it only affects him? It's the same thing with the duping glitch and such, I may not use it but I dont really care about it. A friend of mine's world is amazing purely because she as duped rare items such as diamonds and Mossy cobble, and to be honest, her world probably couldn't have been made without duping items. But does this affect me or anything in my world? No, not it does not. Whereas robbing someone affects them in a lot of ways, and cheating in games like poker or Halo or CoD (multiplayers) will affect other people.

Posted Image

maces006
    maces006

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2090 posts
  • Minecraft: Maces006
  • Xbox:Maces006

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostMobyguy77, on 08 June 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

You dont need to. The maps are saved in different ways; MCedit is not compatible.
yep, i can also confirm that the method does not work becuase the only file which is created is a savefile.dat
Posted Image

Bmxracer073
  • Minecraft: armyman211
  • Xbox:Bmxracer073

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Is it possible to make an editing program for the 360 version? Or is the thought of editing this just not going to work?
Add me on xbox if you would like to see my server on minecraft 360 edition. Please have a mic and you are subject to booting based on our opinions.