Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Random Minecraft Lag Spikes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

redcodefinal

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hi,
I've been having an issue with the game that is driving me insane. Minecraft runs fine for a good amount of time then, suddenly, gets a game breaking lag that is unbearable.

Here's my system specs before I go any futher.

CPU: Dual Xeon - Irwindales.
RAM : 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 250 512 MB
Java: Tried with both x64 & x86, both cause the lag.
Mods: Optifine (Only after I was getting the lag spikes)

So, when I play minecraft (about 5-15 minutes in), huge lag spikes start happening, where the game stays frozen for 1-2 minutes at a time. When pressing F3, it shows that the last frame took an extremely long time (so long its off of the window). The first measure I took was to install optifine, it's worked for killing issues like this for me in the past. However, the problem still persisted. I thought maybe minecraft was having one of it's infamous memory leaks, so I installed RAMRush. That didn't help either. I then thought that it was posible that x64 java might have an issue, so I uninstalled it and put x86 java in it, the issue still persisted.

Here are a couple of weird symptoms. First, when the lag is happening, there is a whining noise on my headphones, I've figured out this happens everytime my computer has something huge to deal with, cpu-wise. Next, the lag persists onto the Esc menu, clicking on the Save and Quit button multiple times produces a huge amount of clicking noises on a dirt screen when the next frame finally loads. It does get back to the menu eventually. The lag stops after that. No place else in my system is effected by the lag, only minecraft, so usually I surf the internet, waiting for the game to quit and save. Posted Image. The last symptom is the most annoying. If I don't completely close Minecraft and start it again, the lag comes back. So, for example, if the lag happens and I quit out to the main menu, clicking my world and starting it back up is an immeadiate lag-fest.

Any help would be greatly appriciated as this is seriously ruining the game for me.

Register or log in to remove.

__The__Miner__

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

I'm having exactly the same issue.  My specs are a little worse than yours (I run xp 32 bit), but I get about 170 fps even so.  I'm running fine then suddenly (about 2 mins later) I get I gigantic lag spike.  Same clicking noise and everything.  When I try to reload, the lag has carried over as well.  Nothing I've tried has helped so far - will update if I find something.
Posted Image

RandisOrhlau
  • Minecraft: RandisOrhlau

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

I have the same issue myself now. Although it was preceeded by block textures failing to load (IE transparant blocks). Now I can't play the game at all past a certain point. It's almost like you've got a 10 minute window to play the game, then bam, you're screwed. My maching runs fine, this is definitely a minecraft bug, and a recent one at that. Been playing this game for a long time now flawlessly....now it's nothing but trouble.

Win XP 32bit 2.4 ghz quad core intel, 4 gigs of ram (windows xp only sees 3) GTX 260...I play WoW, D3, SC2 all perfectly fine. Minecraft was on that list too, until recently.

Lowering the render distance and making the graphics simpler doesn't help. I'm running no Mods.

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4908 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

These symptoms are typical for a video driver memory leak...
At a certain point the driver can no longer allocate memory for rendering and you get massive lag , render failure, or crash.
You can sometimes see OpenGL memory errors in your Windows event log.

Try either updating your video drivers, or if this problem started AFTER a recent driver update, then roll back.
At least one other person on the forum reported new problems after updating their vid drivers for Diablo III
Beta drivers rushed out to "fix" a hot new game sometimes have new bugs.

__The__Miner__

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Alas, I already tried updating my drivers (for a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470) and nothing changed whatsoever except, maybe, slightly more fps before the crash.  I'll check to see I did everything correctly though as my installation was a little glitchy.

I think your right about it being a memory leak, but updating my drivers hasn't been helping.  Could this be a drive compatibility issue (I think I heard somewhere that some NVidia cards don't run well with minecraft)?

Madoreck
    Madoreck

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Minecraft: Madoreck

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Bump. I'm having exactly the same problem. After about 5-10 minutes I get massive lag spikes and the only way to fix it is to close my client totally and restart minecraft. Then it happens again after about 5-10 minutes and cycle just repeats itself. I have noticed that on task manager the java usually starts out using like 100,000 k mem usage but it will go up to about 1,000,000 k mem usage (and usually when the lag spikes start). I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but hopefully somebody can figure out what the hell is going on here.

btw I've already reinstalled java. I was running on java 5 but I uninstalled and reinstalled java 7 but the problem still persists. Please help :(

Madoreck
    Madoreck

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

bump again. Issue still not resolved...

Madoreck
    Madoreck

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:58 AM

BUMP. If I can't figure out the problem I'm just going to have to reformat my entire computer. Which I REALLY don't want to do.

starlinvf
    starlinvf

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3169 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Use F3 for the debug chart.  If you allocation and usage are both near 100%, then that lag spike is garbage collection at work.  If you run on a lot of mods, or use far render distance, then this is somewhat normal behavior for the game.

Jadsonman

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Another BUMP. Having the same issue, and none of the suggested fixes are valid or work.