Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Pros And Cons/ Xbox Vs Pc

xbox pro con pc minecraft

  • Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1

Hurize
    Hurize

    Forum/Wiki Sponsor

  • Curse Premium
  • 430 posts
  • Location: U.S.A. , Texas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Pros Vs Cons/ Xbox 360 Vs Pc

This thread is for the discussion of the issue:
Please Leave your own  comment!


Lets start with the Xbox 360 shall we:

Pros:
Voice Chat
Easy Server Setup
Semi-Auto Crafting
Crafting List
Tutorial

Cons:
Server runs off host Xbox 360; Can cause connection issues
1000x1000 block maps
Outdated version
No server plugins
No mods for Single Player or Multi-Player
No texture packs

Now for the PC:

Pros:
The world is 30 million blocks across. A block is one square meter.
30,000,000 meters is 30,000 km. 30,000*30.000 is 900,000,000, so the Minecraft world is nine hundred million square kilometers. The earth has a surface area of about 510 million square kilometers.  (Larger that the planet Neptune; Way larger than Earth!)
Server Plugins
Texture Packs
Mods for Single Player and Multi-Player
Large Servers

Cons:
No Friend listing
Hard to make a personal server
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to thank Cary and Michael Huang for there Minecraft map estimates (Intresting Flash game called "The Scale of the Universe 2" Try it out! :http://htwins.net/scale2/ )
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Corroshiv

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

No Friend listing
Friend listing is XBL afaik, so it has nothing to do with minecraft.

Hard to make a personal server
It's only hard to download a .jar and click it if your IQ is under potato.

#3

Hurize
    Hurize

    Forum/Wiki Sponsor

  • Curse Premium
  • 430 posts
  • Location: U.S.A. , Texas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

No Friend listing
"Friend listing is XBL afaik, so it has nothing to do with minecraft."
It makes it easier to join friends servers

Hard to make a personal server
"It's only hard to download a .jar and click it if your IQ is under potato."
You also need a host for the server you tard
Posted Image

#4

Chrispy_360
  • Location: Michigan
  • Minecraft: WaterDamage5
  • Xbox:C8X

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:36 AM

Xbox is 1000m by 1000m which equals 1 kilometer compared to PC's 64 kilometers.

#5

Hurize
    Hurize

    Forum/Wiki Sponsor

  • Curse Premium
  • 430 posts
  • Location: U.S.A. , Texas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:41 AM

View PostChrispy_360, on 11 May 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Xbox is 1000m by 1000m which equals 1 kilometer compared to PC's 64 kilometers.
Clearing up the world size math.

The world is 30 million blocks across. A block is one square meter.
30,000,000 meters is 30,000 km. 30,000*30.000 is 900,000,000, so the Minecraft world is nine hundred million square kilometers.
The earth has a surface area of about 510 million square kilometers.
Posted Image

#6

Christopher_Z

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostHurize, on 11 May 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

No Friend listing
"Friend listing is XBL afaik, so it has nothing to do with minecraft."
It makes it easier to join friends servers

Hard to make a personal server
"It's only hard to download a .jar and click it if your IQ is under potato."
You also need a host for the server you tard

I can agree that the friends list would make it easier, but I can always just use Steam or some other program to communicate with friends to invite them to my server. As for needing a host for a server, I usually just run a server in the background while playing on it with my friend, it's really not as hard as it sounds.

#7

Corroshiv

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:56 AM

View PostHurize, on 11 May 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

No Friend listing
"Friend listing is XBL afaik, so it has nothing to do with minecraft."
It makes it easier to join friends servers

Hard to make a personal server
"It's only hard to download a .jar and click it if your IQ is under potato."
You also need a host for the server you tard

Uh, the host could be you? Again, all you need to do is double click a jar to run a local server....

#8

Hurize
    Hurize

    Forum/Wiki Sponsor

  • Curse Premium
  • 430 posts
  • Location: U.S.A. , Texas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:02 AM

View PostCorroshiv, on 11 May 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

Uh, the host could be you? Again, all you need to do is double click a jar to run a local server....

You also have to open up certain ports and such, Just stop bro. I know more than you.
Posted Image

#9

Christopher_Z

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

If you know more, than you shouldn't be saying that it is hard to simply download and run a server...

#10

Mustache_Guy
  • Location: California, USA
  • Minecraft: McAngusYoung

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostChristopher_Z, on 11 May 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

If you know more, than you shouldn't be saying that it is hard to simply download and run a server...
You do not just download and run a server.

If you want to play on just your PC, by yourself, alone on the server, then yes. All you need to do is run the server.

If you want to play with other people on your server, you need to port forward which can be increasingly difficult if you don't know what you are doing. Or you can use Hamachi which I find equally as confusing.

So no, it's not as easy as 1, 2, 3 if you want to play with others.


View PostHurize, on 11 May 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

Lets start with the Xbox 360 shall we:

Pros:
Voice Chat
Easy Server Setup
Semi-Auto Crafting
Crafting List
Tutorial

Cons:
Server runs off host Xbox 360; Can cause connection issues
1000x1000 block maps
Outdated version
No server plugins
No mods for Single Player or Multi-Player
No texture packs

Now for the PC:

Pros:
The world is 30 million blocks across. A block is one square meter.
30,000,000 meters is 30,000 km. 30,000*30.000 is 900,000,000, so the Minecraft world is nine hundred million square kilometers. The earth has a surface area of about 510 million square kilometers.  (Larger that the planet Neptune; Way larger than Earth!)
Server Plugins
Texture Packs
Mods for Single Player and Multi-Player
Large Servers

Cons:
No Friend listing
Hard to make a personal server

Some of these things shouldn't really be on there. PC server have just as bad connection issues as an Xbox 360 can have. The outdated version is going to be updated. There will be texture packs of some sort eventually. As well as possibly mods. Xbox runs at a smooth 60 FPS with 8 people playing.

For the PC, you forgot to list that it takes a semi decent PC to run Minecraft. Any non gaming PC can probably barely run it. At least with tons of lag or other issues present. Large servers is a preference and should be a pro.
Lucifer - "So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches? Why?"
Gabriel - "Because dad was right. They are better than us."
Lucifer - "They are broken, flawed, abortions!"
Gabriel - "Damn right they're flawed, but a lot of them try to do better."

#11

MDawg
    MDawg

    Mark of the Beast

  • Members
  • 666 posts
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: M_Dawg991

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

View PostHurize, on 11 May 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

You also have to open up certain ports and such, Just stop bro. I know more than you.

Even though you think external hosts are needed for PC servers? If one were to start up a friends-only server, like that of the Xbox edition, it would be perfectly fine to host it on their computer. Paying for external hosts just to play with a few friends or so would be ridiculous.
Posted Image

#12

MaxB123
    MaxB123

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostMDawg, on 11 May 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

Even though you think external hosts are needed for PC servers? If one were to start up a friends-only server, like that of the Xbox edition, it would be perfectly fine to host it on their computer. Paying for external hosts just to play with a few friends or so would be ridiculous.
You have no clue what you are discussing just stop.

#13

Christopher_Z

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:50 AM

View PostMcAngusYoung, on 11 May 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

You do not just download and run a server.

If you want to play on just your PC, by yourself, alone on the server, then yes. All you need to do is run the server.

If you want to play with other people on your server, you need to port forward which can be increasingly difficult if you don't know what you are doing. Or you can use Hamachi which I find equally as confusing.

So no, it's not as easy as 1, 2, 3 if you want to play with others.

Yeah you're right, but I was only talking about getting it started up.

#14

ScizZLE
    ScizZLE

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

If you want to run a Minecraft server on PC and have your friends outside of your local connection connect, you HAVE to forward a port through your router configuration.  

Xbox.
Pros: Very smooth frame rate, easy to setup multiplayer, friends list, voice chat.
Cons: Out dated version, smaller worlds, controls can be frustrating at times, no creative mode.

This version is pretty cut and dry, if you're a modder then this isn't for you.  If you want to build things with your friends and play SMP then this is worth the buy.  Plus, playing from your couch and using voice chat is nice.  Everything is a lot more main stream and user friendly.  The game is still incredibly fun, and still worth picking up, especially if you have some friends to play with.

PC.
Pros: Limitless possibilites, more of a "complete" game, custom skins, custom mods.
Cons: Actually requires a somewhat decent PC to run, more of a learning curve for less tech-savvy people, nothing is seamlessly integrated.

This is still the "better" game in my opinion, even though I think the 360 version is great.  You have a lot more options and tools available to you on the PC version, the possibilities are really limited to your imagination.  The one problem people will find is there isn't a unified system like there is on the Xbox version.  There is no friends list, voice chat, or easy server creation.  Simply put, this is for the bit more tech savvy people out there, but the work is well worth the reward in the end.

#15

MDawg
    MDawg

    Mark of the Beast

  • Members
  • 666 posts
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: M_Dawg991

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

View PostMaxB123, on 11 May 2012 - 04:49 AM, said:

You have no clue what you are discussing just stop.

How do I have no clue what I'm discussing? I believe OP stated that hosts are needed for PC servers, even though hosting it on your own PC is a viable option if you're running the same kind of server the Xbox edition limits you to: small, private server for friends. I'm just correcting him on that post. Unless you know of what he was actually implying, if he wasn't actually meaning what I thought he was, I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with what I said.
Posted Image

#16

Corroshiv

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostHurize, on 11 May 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

You also have to open up certain ports and such, Just stop bro. I know more than you.

Oh yeah, cause going to your router's control panel and port forwarding is hard (sarcasm fyi). Also bro, don't say you know more then me, it may be true, but don't throw statements like that out there.

(Also for people who don't know how to port forward or can't there are other options, for an example hamachi)

View PostScizZLE, on 11 May 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

If you want to run a Minecraft server on PC and have your friends outside of your local connection connect, you HAVE to forward a port through your router configuration.  

Xbox.
Pros: Very smooth frame rate, easy to setup multiplayer, friends list, voice chat.
Cons: Out dated version, smaller worlds, controls can be frustrating at times, no creative mode.

This version is pretty cut and dry, if you're a modder then this isn't for you.  If you want to build things with your friends and play SMP then this is worth the buy.  Plus, playing from your couch and using voice chat is nice.  Everything is a lot more main stream and user friendly.  The game is still incredibly fun, and still worth picking up, especially if you have some friends to play with.

PC.
Pros: Limitless possibilites, more of a "complete" game, custom skins, custom mods.
Cons: Actually requires a somewhat decent PC to run, more of a learning curve for less tech-savvy people, nothing is seamlessly integrated.

This is still the "better" game in my opinion, even though I think the 360 version is great.  You have a lot more options and tools available to you on the PC version, the possibilities are really limited to your imagination.  The one problem people will find is there isn't a unified system like there is on the Xbox version.  There is no friends list, voice chat, or easy server creation.  Simply put, this is for the bit more tech savvy people out there, but the work is well worth the reward in the end.

I have friend's who can't even clear their browser history, but they can setup a minecraft server. Also, the friend's list and voice chat are invalid as their part of XBL, I mean if minecraft was distributed via steam you would have a friends list and such.

#17

Figroll
    Figroll

    Diamond Miner

  • Retired Staff
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Xbox

Pro:  Works on all xboxes
Con: tiny world, crazy save system, currently at 1.6.6, no mods, no texture packs, no hd textures, horrible crafting

PC

Pro: Huge world, good saving, latest version, decent view distance, good crafting
Con: errmm..  can have low fps spikes

#18

Corroshiv

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

Eh, the only pro about the xbox version IMO is that it runs.

#19

hypoflick

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

dear nerds fighting over how easy it is to setup servers and how many kiloidontgivafux are in the map, heres what the bottom line is.

it IS hard to setup a server on pc, not everyone runs windows 7 a lot of people i know  run XP still for mild gaming just because its less buggy ( whether or not u think its buggy i dont want to argue about it or hear ur thoughts bc i dont care.) and if u are not familiar w computer language or dloading programs to run a file then transferring files to a differnt spot that u downloaded etc then yes it is hard.

thats the bottom line nerds correcting other nerds until the final voice (me) has spoken. have a nice day.

#20

Corroshiv

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Quote

it IS hard to setup a server on pc

Only for you apparently.


Quote

windows 7 a lot of people i know run XP still for mild gaming just because its less buggy

1. I'm not even going to begin saying what's wrong with this statement.
2. How does this apply to anything?



Quote

if u are not familiar w computer language or dloading programs

HOW IS CLICKING A LINK HARD FFS, YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW JAVA TO CLICK A LINK AND RUN A JAR.


Quote

transferring files

HOW IS DRAGGING AND DROPPING CONFUSING.



Quote

thats the bottom line nerds correcting other nerds until the final voice (me)

What?!?!?!?!1111


Seriously, what....?