• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Sky mob spawner isnt spawning anything - help?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

roosternomz

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

So I'm making a mob spawner in the sky (roughly about 130 blocks up, not entirely sure) I only have half of my roof done, so theres one bright, open-roofed side, and one dark sheltered side. The dark side still has plenty of darkness and room to spawn mobs, despite having one half complete. Nothings spawning, and Im worried because this took such a long amount of time.

Im on an island, and an ocean surrounds it for a good 3,000 blocks from all sides. All my caves are lit up. Even when im not close to it (down in my shelter) they arent spawning.

Whats wrong?

Posted Image

Posted Image

How big the spawner is, and how high. ^^
My Minecraft / Gaming Channel :
http://www.youtube.c...mz?feature=mhee

Register or log in to remove.

LordKaplan
  • Minecraft: LordKaplan
  • Xbox:Superninjakyle

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

If I had to assume, I would say it's too high. what is the height count on it? if its too far, mobs will not spawn. try building a waiting platform about halfway through.
Tartarus Realm Hardcore PVP server No Lag!

WildmouseX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

here are a few helpful videos that should get you up and running...

spawning glitch above Y=128 fix -

cobble and air blocks emitting light glitch and fix -

and finally a fix for trap slow downs -

good luck.

mcunbuild

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

it needs 2 me minimum of 3 blocks of air between the roof and the spawning platform
Posted Image

Frankincense
  • Minecraft: Frankincense

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postroosternomz, on 09 May 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

So I'm making a mob spawner in the sky (roughly about 130 blocks up, not entirely sure) I only have half of my roof done, so theres one bright, open-roofed side, and one dark sheltered side. The dark side still has plenty of darkness and room to spawn mobs, despite having one half complete. Nothings spawning, and Im worried because this took such a long amount of time.

Im on an island, and an ocean surrounds it for a good 3,000 blocks from all sides. All my caves are lit up. Even when im not close to it (down in my shelter) they arent spawning.

Whats wrong?

Posted Image

Posted Image

How big the spawner is, and how high. ^^

You can't be any further than 30 blocks away from the spawning pads or mobs won't spawn, just like you shouldn't be any closer than 24 blocks. Try this, and get back to us

2Latee
    2Latee

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Minecraft: 2Latee

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostFrankincense, on 09 May 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

You can't be any further than 30 blocks away from the spawning pads or mobs won't spawn, just like you shouldn't be any closer than 24 blocks. Try this, and get back to us
Mobs can spawn only 24-128 blocks away from you. Not any closer, not any further.
And if I remember correctly, mobs can spawn but they do not move after certain distance...

You DO wanna quote my post if you wish to bring me back to the topic!

I'm Finnish, so typos may and will happen. Haters gonna hate.

Werds
    Werds

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Also, consider the possibility that you might be on Peaceful.

Herobrineman911
  • Minecraft: tomkohljr

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Do you have it above Y 128?If so,no mobs will spawn.This is a bug.
Posted Image

Happyinc
  • Minecraft: Happyinc

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, probably the mob spawning bug. Wait for a patch.

And if it's more than 128 blocks away, they won't spawn, as others have said. More than 32 blocks away, and they can despawn and don't move. Less than 24, and they can't spawn.

They are all a sphere around you, by the way. The measurements.
Posted Image
If I've helped you, why not check out my channel? It won't take more than a minute, and would help me a lot.

haxjagarn
  • Minecraft: haxjagarn

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

This got me thinking. If we were to create a caste or osmething with the roof placed right under the old max-height of 128 blocks, will there not spawn any monsters ontop of that roof?

Posted Image

build your portals closer than ever

WildmouseX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

View Post2Latee, on 09 May 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Mobs can spawn only 24-128 blocks away from you. Not any closer, not any further.
And if I remember correctly, mobs can spawn but they do not move after certain distance...

mobs will walk around for a few seconds after spawn, if they are closer then 32 blocks from you they keep moving, if they are farther away they go static. - - Mob's won't spawn closer then 24 blocks yes, but will spawn as far away as 144 blocks, and despawn after a couple of seconds if they are farther away then 128 - this still means that spawns between 128 and 144 will still affect the trap  - - - also too as the third video I linked to shows, if a pack of mob's spawns near the end of that 144 block range, some will be placed into unloaded chunks and freeze there, filling up your mob cap.the fix is to clear out an additional 12 blocks of caves - - so the only sure  fire way to make mobs spawn in the trap is to clear out 166 blocks in every direction.

the mob spawning bug above Y=128 has a fix - it's in the first video I linked too. It fixed my trap, and many others that I have linked it for.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Wildmouse addresses some of the largest issues right now with mobtraps.  If those don't help you then have you tried changing to peaceful and then back?  Perhaps you have a bunch of slimes taking up the mob cap down in your lit up caves, or perhaps you didn't light up caves as well as you thought.

Also is this Single or Multiplayer?
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

hebelsu
    hebelsu

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well they will probably fix the bug that prevents mobs from spawning over y128, but either way you should just use half slabs for the roof to prevent mob spawns on top.

As far as the mob spawner, several people have mentioned the y128 mob spawn bug. But either way, you need to lower that trap, because it will never be effecient.

If you do some research on the way the game spawns mobs, you will learn that the game searches for potential blocks for spawning. An endless cycle that will select a source block, spawn up to 4 mobs around it, then move on to another potential block.  The game and the mob spawn cycles were all originally done to cap at y128.  Anytime you build above this level, you drastically increase the amount of blocks the game has to check for potential spawns, slowing down the entire cycle.

So never build above y128 with spawners or anywhere near your spawners. While they can still work they will always be less efficient then spawners below this level.

BlockMole
  • Minecraft: BlockMole

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

You need to light the underground of your world around the mob trap because that will increase the spawn rate or give you some mobs at the minimum.
Go take a look at my youtube channel if you'd like :)
http://www.youtube.c...ser/xBlockMolex

MikePalmer

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

Im having the same problem it was working like a dream and then every thing just stopped spawning