• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Hollowed out tree trunks, and their cool potential uses.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

zionofthewasteland
  • Minecraft: zionsphere

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

I had a dream last night and it got me thinking.

In this dream (and yes I know sad but I was playing pretty late), once I had harvested the raw blocks from the tree I could take them to the crafting table and half and hollow them. Then I could use these hollowed pieces from draining and collecting water from rainfall and sources I had created and flood and feed the fields and mechanisms that relied on water.

I could also use the hollowed pieces to create longer * canoe* type boats that 2 people could sit in and have a chest in the back. This would be great for moving homes and exploring in smp.

I think the tree trunk blocks have even more great potential aside from creating wooden planks and charcoal/fuel and decoration. It's a shame we can't hollow them out and make things out of them such as barrels etc.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

streamlinemovers115

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

nearby is no use contain indistinct dreams of jungte-like abundance, with out of control ... run in arrange to attain their full possible and beds to enclose these should be marked out ... cauldrons, glass dishware and even old, hollow out tree stump can be used ... start to grow during the base of each pot, making them hard to move.

MrRobbie117

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

maybe with this termites could be added

dyldo
    dyldo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Minecraft: HadrasVorshoth

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

View Postzionofthewasteland, on 04 May 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

I had a dream last night and it got me thinking.

In this dream (and yes I know sad but I was playing pretty late), once I had harvested the raw blocks from the tree I could take them to the crafting table and half and hollow them. Then I could use these hollowed pieces from draining and collecting water from rainfall and sources I had created and flood and feed the fields and mechanisms that relied on water.

I could also use the hollowed pieces to create longer * canoe* type boats that 2 people could sit in and have a chest in the back. This would be great for moving homes and exploring in smp.

I think the tree trunk blocks have even more great potential aside from creating wooden planks and charcoal/fuel and decoration. It's a shame we can't hollow them out and make things out of them such as barrels etc.

I like this. How would barrels work... A smaller-slot version of the chest that doesn't connect up to nearby barrels, that ultimately can store more in a grid than a chest because they can be placed in any order, but in individual squares it's much less, perhaps?
Crafting grid could be... Trap door top center middle, empty space in the middle, wood planks on the sides and bottom.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image _ Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

with painting being a trapdoor...
Golems! <3

zionofthewasteland

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postdyldo, on 04 May 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

I like this. How would barrels work... A smaller-slot version of the chest that doesn't connect up to nearby barrels, that ultimately can store more in a grid than a chest because they can be placed in any order, but in individual squares it's much less, perhaps?
Crafting grid could be... Trap door top center middle, empty space in the middle, wood planks on the sides and bottom.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image _ Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

with painting being a trapdoor...

I also considered that barrels could be used as grain silos so that nobody would have to fill chests in buildings with wheat and seeds, so that these containers would be hardier and when combined with iron for support their sole purpose would be to remain outside on the land, ready to use for harvest and food supplies.

I thought for the barrels *as they normally have some metal bands about them to keep them together.

wood trapdoor wood
iron       iron      iron
and 3 x raw wood across the bottom
Posted Image

me333
    me333

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Minecraft: me3333333
  • Xbox:Smittys

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes......
You get the point.
Posted Image

zionofthewasteland

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

I have some more ideas but would love to hear about some others.
Posted Image

wolfbanejackal
  • Minecraft: wolfbanejackal

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

This is awesome! I think you should also be able to put valuble items in them, put them back together, and hide the hollowed out log in a tree somewhere. This isn't TOO safe, since someone could just come break it down and find it, but it's a pretty cool idea.
YOU DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE EAT THE MIND HONEY

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Minecraft: kynarus

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

View Poststreamlinemovers115, on 04 May 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

nearby is no use contain indistinct dreams of jungte-like abundance, with out of control ... run in arrange to attain their full possible and beds to enclose these should be marked out ... cauldrons, glass dishware and even old, hollow out tree stump can be used ... start to grow during the base of each pot, making them hard to move.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Anyway, I like this idea, and no need to be ashamed, we've all had Minecraft dreams.
No, there has never, ever been a sandbox game with a story or ending... except Grand Theft Auto... and Saints Row... and Red Dead Redemption... and Crack Down... and Assassins Creed...

kardoCurse

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

This sounds very cool do you mind if I would try to make a mod with your idea. I really like the idea of getting rain with the hollow wood.

Edit My first attempt for a hollow block : Posted Image

zionofthewasteland

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostkardoCurse, on 05 May 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

This sounds very cool do you mind if I would try to make a mod with your idea. I really like the idea of getting rain with the hollow wood.

Edit My first attempt for a hollow block : Posted Image

go ahead :)
Posted Image

memoric
    memoric

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

i would love to have this