• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

redstone timers?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

subzero22

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a red stone timer for about every 10 min so when morning comes the doors to a house automatically open and when night falls they close. If your not inside in time your locked out and have to survive the night.
If you ever drop your keys into a pool of lava, forget about them, cuz man, they're gone...

Register or log in to remove.

Redmoonblade

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

I would also like to know this. Bloody good idea.
I am a creator. This makes me infinitely greater and more useful than any war lover.

TheArmyGuy

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

There is a light sensor mod out there. Make an inverter , and you could do the same.
[SSSS]
They are made out of tree leaves.
Remove all your trees , and see theim vanish.

There , that was the generic creeper joke , can I have reputation now?
Posted Image
That was it for the internets meter...

didildude
    didildude

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1105 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Wasn't there a topic exactly the same as this a few weeks ago ?

Swingerzetta said:

I've removed  some off-topic conversation. Please only talk about pigs and dancefloors in this thread from now on.

Mod edit: This post is off-topic. Please only talk about magical ponies, rainbows and friendship in this thread

Steve the Slime

Abdiel
    Abdiel

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

Search is your friend.

TheXboxNut

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Maybe just a very long and slow strip of water with a pressure plate at the end in a circle or something, that you load up in the morning, and when it reaches the pressure plate it inverts the power and shuts the door. Just an idea.

Bromazepam

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

You could just take any clock and evaluate how long it takes for a full clock cycle to pulse. Divide 10 minutes by that amount, connect it all to an adder and a register and you have your timer.
"If you don't like it don't ___", The Idiot's Lament

TheXboxNut

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Bromazepam said:

You could just take any clock and evaluate how long it takes for a full clock cycle to pulse. Divide 10 minutes by that amount, connect it all to an adder and a register and you have your timer.

But if a 5 clock takes like 0.5 seconds to pulse, dividing 600 by 0.8 would make it a huuuge adder :S

Abdiel
    Abdiel

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

With any sort of redstone, water, boat, minecart, etc. machine you will have severe problems calibrating it so that it does not desync with the day/night cycle over time. Especially if you want it to keep going even when the chunks it's on unload. Or you can just deal with resetting it manually every once in a while.

The only accurate timer would use something that depends on the day/night cycle itself. At the moment the only usable mechanic is mobs spawning (as I outlined in the thread linked above). My idea with the mob spawner still has its issues, namely creepers and spiders naturally spawning inside during the night, but I still think it is the only feasible path to make such a timer.

TheXboxNut

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Abdiel said:

With any sort of redstone, water, boat, minecart, etc. machine you will have severe problems calibrating it so that it does not desync with the day/night cycle over time. Especially if you want it to keep going even when the chunks it's on unload. Or you can just deal with resetting it manually every once in a while.

The only accurate timer would use something that depends on the day/night cycle itself. At the moment the only usable mechanic is mobs spawning (as I outlined in the thread linked above). My idea with the mob spawner still has its issues, namely creepers and spiders naturally spawning inside during the night, but I still think it is the only feasible path to make such a timer.

That's a brilliant idea, just hook up pressure plates to your doors and invert them so when they spawn the door closes. Excellent idea!

Turiko
    Turiko

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

a mob spawner seems the way to go... make water around it save for a few spots... mob spawns, falls into the water, gets carried somewhere with a lot of sunlight. make a "staircase" that lets them drop without the mob getting back up (a fall of two dephth). at the end, ptu a stone pressure plate.

If you do that, it'll more or less open and close correctly. Problem is, it'd still be big, and you need luck with the spawner's location.

Zesty Piquante said:

Skrawler17 said:

wonder if squids would spawn on the clouds then..
It's rainin' squid, hallelujah, it's rainin' squid...

McEscher said:

When I grow up, I wanna be Notch.  Is there nothing he can't do?

Demki
    Demki

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

I can do it with a mushroom and sand, and if you want reset, a flower.(though the flower and mushroom and sand and redstone wire needs to be replaced every time it goes off)