• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Setting up a Minecraft Server for dummies For Windows (portforwarding)

setting up minecraft server for dummies window portforwarding

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

FPSgasper13

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Setting up a Minecraft Server for dummies

&

Portforwarding (the important thing)

By: FPSgasper13

Please Understand I'm not calling anybody stupid, but PortForwarding can be a real pain in the *Beep*

if you don't know how. Thank you.

To start off, if you have the server files already, then great, skip to the next part.

If not, keep reading. And if you already know all this, why bother reading it? Posted Image

Anyways, go here to get the server files if you don't have them:http://www.minecraft.net/download

Copy the .jar or .exe file to a new folder, and name the folder whatever you want. Then run the server file,

and it will create some stuff, don't worry about that yet. Then close the server.

Now, for the fun part, Portforwarding and such! (don't worry, it isn't as hard as it sounds.)

To start off, go here:PF Setup Static IP Address, and download the setup file. (please note, that I had to run all of their software in windows 98 compatibility mode, if it doesn't work, try that)

Install it, then run it. They have full instructions on how to set up your static internal ip in a window at the bottom of the program. When you have the static ip set up, read on.

Great, you've made it this far! Now to check if the default port is open. Go here:PFPortCheck Program

to download the portchecker. Install it,(keeping in mind to install it in windows 98 compatibility mode) run it,and they have instructions on how to check if the default port is open (25565) on the bottom

of the window. If it's open, Great! If not, Try some different ports, till you find an open one. Though 25565 should be open.

Next up: Identifing router and portforwarding!

For this part, you'll need to know your router brand and model. Mine for example is a Linksys BEFSR41.

The brand and name should be on the router it's self.

Also, you'll need your router username and password. Most routers have a default username and password.

If you know either the default username and password, or have a custom one, read on, if not, go here:Default Router Usernames and Passwords and enter your router brand, then model to find out the default.

Go here:How To Find Your Routers IP Address to find your internal ip, which you also need.

When you have that, open google, and in the address menu erase everything there, and type the internal ip there and press enter. A window will pop up, prompting for a username and password. Put either the default or custom ones in, depending on if you have a custom or not. When that's done, your router config menu should be in the browser. Go here:Minecraft Server, then enter router brand and model, for a guide on portforwarding the minecraft server!

Last part: Finding your external ip!

Almost done! Just a few more things. Just search whatsmyip on Google, to find your external ip. That's what people enter to login to your server. Sadly, it won't stay the same, because it's dynamic, and to get a static

external ip, you'll need to contact you ISP, and it costs extra, so if you plan on running a dedicated server, then it might be worth it, if it's just for a friends, then you'll just need to check it every time you start the server, and give it to your friends. A more complicted way, but in my opinion, better, is to use a DNNS address.

Google how to use it for a minecraft serverr, if you want to do that. Or I may edit this, and put in a guide later.

Last thing is to edit the server.properties file, which is in the server folder. Open it with notepad, and change any values you need to. Note: If you are using a custom port be sure to change that.

Other things to take a look at are the ops, white-list, banned-ips, and banned-players. The last two are only if you don't want certain people on. Remember to check the external ip every time you run the server. To run it with more ram, google it.

If I helped, please comment.

Regards, FPSgasper13

Check out RealLan for all your Lan server needs:

http://www.minecraft...ands-and-fixes/

Register or log in to remove.

iTIsKeiFeR
  • Minecraft: Vestle
  • Xbox:None

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

This is much much harder process then just finding the default gateway, loggin in through browser, changing some ips, and done:P

Posted Image

FPSgasper13

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

It IS kind of long...

Stronghold1317
  • Minecraft: STRONGHOLD

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

can any of you help me? i have tired to port forward but it never works. im not going to use hamachi because it sucks :P. if you have teamviewer that would help alot (considering you can see my computer and screen). i have gone to my routers settings changed the ports to 25565 for them both and put my ipv4 adress to the port tht it is going to be forwarded to and it never works. Can you please help me?

FPSgasper13

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

I might be able to. Yes, Hamachi DOES suck! And do you have a static ip, and are you using your routers external ip? And are you using windows 7? (i have teamviewer)

Stronghold1317

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

ok wahts do you need ny user name and pass for teamviewer?
INFO- Windows 7?- Yes
External ip?- ya im using that to connect to my server
Static ip?- i believe its static but im not 100% sure
teamviewer id?-Username- 584 149 059
                      - pass 4733

did you just try to connect? and then stop randomly?

FPSgasper13

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

All right, I need to go somewhere right now, but I'll see what I can do when I get back. Maybe somebody can help you while I'm gone.

Stronghold1317

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

ok thanks for the... "attempt" :P

i have about 4-6 hours are you going to be back before that?

Stronghold1317

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

so can anyone help me?

Anon_Player

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

This works for mac?
Hello, my name is Anon_Player, but you can call me Anon :)

Stronghold1317

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

View PostAnon_Player, on 28 April 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

This works for mac?
What works?

FPSgasper13

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostAnon_Player, on 28 April 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

This works for mac?
It says in the title that it's for windows.
But it might work. Not sure, as I use windows.

Stronghold1317

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:49 AM

FpsGasper when could you use teamviewer to help me?

FPSgasper13

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

How about now?