• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Why? Why won't my server work? Xfinity? Help...

server comcast xfininty smcd3gnv port forwarding norton security

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Diesel_Weasel

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hey guys, I've been trying to get a minecraft server back up and running for several months now. Ever since I switch my home services from AT&T U-Verse to Comcast Xfinity, I haven't been able to do so! Here's some of my info that may be helpful before I explain:

IP Address of computer I'm trying to host from: 10.0.0.7
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
I have Norton Internet Secruity
My Router is and SMCD3GNV
My internet provider is Comcast (Xfinity Service)

So, first things first, I downloaded the newest version of Craftbukkit for my server (that works with MC 1.2.5). After that, I went to "10.0.0.1" on my browser, logged in, and opened a port under the port forwarding area with these settings:

Service Name ------- Type ------- Starting Port ------- Ending Port ------- Server IP ------- Active

------Minecract-------TCP/UDP----------25565--------------25565-----------10.0.0.7--------"Check"

Looks legit to me. So then I started up my Craftbukkit Server on Port 25565. Before testing the server on MC, I went to canyouseeme.org to find out if my port was being blocked. It wasn't. It said "Your ISP is not blocking this Port (25565). Great! I went to MC, and joined "localhost" to test to see if my server was even working at all. It was.

So then, I tried to join by my external IP (or is it internal... not 10.0.0.7, the one that others shouldn't know). It wouldn't work. Sometimes on my server prompt it would say something like "10.0.0.7 lost connection". So then I thought maybe it was being blocked by my Anti Virus.

I went to Norton Internet Security, and under the Smart Fire Wall, to Advanced Settings, to General Rules, then I added a new "Rule" or exception to a port/program. I added my port (25565) and allowed it traffic to and from any computer to mine for this port.

Then I tried it again. Nothing. I'm seriously confused. Does anyone else have Xfinity with the SMC router I have? I'd like to know what you're doing. Or if anyone has Norton Internet security, is there more I need to do? I have even tried disabling to entire Norton program for a short time to test it.

Register or log in to remove.

jacobdb
    jacobdb

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6289 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

first of all: why are you using Class A IP adresses? or atleast im assuming you do, as you have not given any subnetmask.

Using Class A Ip adressing for home/private use can lead to massive issues, as class A is used on ISP backbones, and you might have an IP conflict with equipment from your ISP. Its better, easier and more efficient to use Class C ip adressing, or use a custom subnetmask.

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postjacobdb, on 27 April 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

first of all: why are you using Class A IP adresses? or atleast im assuming you do, as you have not given any subnetmask.

Using Class A Ip adressing for home/private use can lead to massive issues, as class A is used on ISP backbones, and you might have an IP conflict with equipment from your ISP. Its better, easier and more efficient to use Class C ip adressing, or use a custom subnetmask.
Yeah.

OP, your internal IPs should look something like this:

192.168.1.1 (modem)
192.168.0.1 (router)
192.168.0.2 (computer 1)
192.168.0.3 (computer 2)
192.168.0.4 (computer 3)
192.168.0.5 (computer 4)

Diesel_Weasel

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

How would I go about changing from Class "a" to "c"? When We got our internet, this is how it was defaultly setup by Comcast. Would this most likely be for problem? I didn't know about this.

HeavyLobster

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostDiesel_Weasel, on 27 April 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

So then, I tried to join by my external IP (or is it internal... not 10.0.0.7, the one that others shouldn't know).

Internal IPs are the IP addresses for your home network.  In your case: 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, and so on.  These are the IP addresses you shouldn't give out to players connecting over the Internet.  You do need to give it out to people connecting over your home network (connected to the same router), though.

Your external IP is the IP address players have to connect to to play on your server.  It can be found by simply looking up "external ip" on Google.

View PostDiesel_Weasel, on 27 April 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

How would I go about changing from Class "a" to "c"? When We got our internet, this is how it was defaultly setup by Comcast. Would this most likely be for problem? I didn't know about this.
You can usually change your internal IP addresses from your router's control panel.  Every router is different, so unless you have a WRT54GS I can't help you with that.

Posted Image

Diesel_Weasel

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I know what the external/internal ip's are for, what I meant is that I was just worried I had them confused.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I'll give this Class C IP deal a shot.

EDIT: How would you go about changing from "A" to "C" Class IP's? Do you change your subnet mask?

EDIT 2: I just manually changed the IP address in the router settings from 10.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. It reconfigured my network, is it Class C now? Or is it still class A in disguise as a C Addressing system. I'll check with the server and let you guys know if it works.

jacobdb
    jacobdb

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6289 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostDiesel_Weasel, on 27 April 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

I know what the external/internal ip's are for, what I meant is that I was just worried I had them confused.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I'll give this Class C IP deal a shot.

EDIT: How would you go about changing from "A" to "C" Class IP's? Do you change your subnet mask?

EDIT 2: I just manually changed the IP address in the router settings from 10.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. It reconfigured my network, is it Class C now? Or is it still class A in disguise as a C Addressing system. I'll check with the server and let you guys know if it works.

your network is Class C now. you can read more about IP classes and other networking stuff in my networking guide!

Diesel_Weasel

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

well after all of this, i realized, that i didn't try having a friend join after i did the norton security thing. That was it... i still cant connect through my exteral ip though, which i used to be able to. anywho... its working.