Latest News Article

Books Guide: Tips and Hacks

book books vanilla custom nbtedit author length nbt color edit

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

WolfieMario
  • Minecraft: WolfieMario

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

As many of you know, the upcoming 1.3 update will feature editable books (assuming we don't get a 1.2.6 Posted Image). Here are some characteristics/limitations on the creation of books:
  • A book may have no more than 50 pages.
  • A single page of a book may have no more than 256 characters.
  • A single page of a book may have no more than 13 lines of text.
  • The title of a book can be no more than 16 characters.
  • The author of a book is the username of its creator, or "Player" if you're in offline mode. It cannot be changed.
  • You can paste text into books with Ctrl+V, unless there isn't enough room on the page for it.
  • A book can contain special characters, such as the section sign (§). These characters must either be on your keyboard, or pasted in. Alt-codes do not work.
  • Section sign formatting codes (e.g. "§f") work in books, allowing you to have colored or formatted text.
  • You can use special characters in the title of a book, if they exist on your keyboard. You cannot paste text/characters or use alt-codes when writing a title.
  • You can only edit the text on a page starting at the last character. This means, if you notice a typo at the top of the page, you must first backspace the whole page to fix it.
  • Pages cannot be removed or rearranged.
  • You cannot edit a book once it has been signed, and cannot give a name to an unsigned book. Unsigned books all show up as "Book and Quill" in the inventory, when you hover over them.
  • As of recent snapshots, you cannot begin a line with spaces/indentations, and cannot begin a new line without having text on the current line. This makes it difficult to separate paragraphs.
Now, you may well have known most of these things. If not, you've learned a thing or two Posted Image. Well, I'm going to tell you about how to hack books, breaking past most of these limitations.

I have spoiler'd most of this thread, so as to not look intimidatingly long. You only have to read as much as you want to, and learn only the things you want to know, so I figure spoiler-ing the stuff would be for the best.

Formatting Text
Spoiler:
Posted Image

Different Fonts
Posted Image
Spoiler:

Indentation, Alignment, and Blank Lines
Since one of the snapshots (I forget which), you cannot indent or center text, or have blank lines, because the game ignores spaces and 'Enter's that you type on a line that otherwise has no text. This section offers a simple work-around, as a book can look ugly if there's no separation between paragraphs, and titles look nicer when centered.
Spoiler:

How to actually hack books
Of course, none of that was "hacking" - it can all be done ingame, without editing your client. To hack books, you'd need a 3rd party tool, such as copyboy's NBTedit.

Now, why would you hack a book? To get past its limitations without the need for mods Posted Image
All of the tricks I am posting here can be used for Adventure maps intended for vanilla Minecraft, so your players won't need any mods.

Spoiler:

Hopefully you guys will find these tricks useful for your adventure maps - you can now make your books convincing by changing the author, make them seem special with colors even in the item's name, and perhaps even make them seem ominous with a title that continuously flashes random letters. You can also use these tricks to get past the game's limit of 50 pages per book, 256 characters per page, 16 characters per title, etc., and can correct mistakes you have made (rearranging pages, editing them in a text editor, un-signing them, etc.)

Note that, with modifying your game files using an external program, you run the risk of damaging your file. Proceed with caution; I take no responsibility for mistakes you make or damage you cause. I just want you all to know these cool things you can do; that does not mean you can hold me or copyboy (NBTedit's creator) responsible if things don't work out as planned.

Have a nice day, and happy editing! Posted Image

Edited by WolfieMario, 07 June 2012 - 06:05 PM.

Register or log in to remove.

WolfieMario

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

I hope it's OK for me to bump this... My browser screwed up at first and posted this thread before I had even written it Posted Image
It's been up a while now; I finally wrote the thread and edited it. Now there's actually something here for you guys to read Posted Image

Rofang
    Rofang

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

Very informative - thanks for all the details!  Of course, I'm on a Mac and haven't tried the Mac equivalent of NBTedit, but still good to know.

Club559
    Club559

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1344 posts
  • Minecraft: Club559

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Or, for duplicating books, you can change the stack size of your book, pick up the stack, and right-click in empty spaces to separate the books. It still keeps all the book information for each book you "duplicate".
None.

WolfieMario

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostClub559, on 27 April 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

Or, for duplicating books, you can change the stack size of your book, pick up the stack, and right-click in empty spaces to separate the books. It still keeps all the book information for each book you "duplicate".
Much better method than mine. Thanks, I added it to the topic! :D

brambleshadow4
  • Minecraft: Brambleshadow4

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

Awesome! I love NBTedit, though I normally use it only for switching in between creative and survival.

It's good to know that you can also edit books in it as well

Posted Image

Malcolm9519

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the great guide, this is going to help me out so much with all of the storyline my map is going to have.

Just a couple questions.  Any information on fonts and if they are possible?  And also, when texture pack editors start messing around with this, are they going to be able to change the background easily do you think?  I don't like the look of it at the moment, looks a bit to much like a toaster strudel for my taste.

P.s.  I would change your title as it is very informative with the information regarding the non-hack aspect of books.  Perhaps, "Books Guide: Tips and Hacks"?  Or something similar?

Posted Image

WolfieMario

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostMalcolm9519, on 27 April 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Thanks for the great guide, this is going to help me out so much with all of the storyline my map is going to have.

Just a couple questions.  Any information on fonts and if they are possible?  And also, when texture pack editors start messing around with this, are they going to be able to change the background easily do you think?  I don't like the look of it at the moment, looks a bit to much like a toaster strudel for my taste.

P.s.  I would change your title as it is very informative with the information regarding the non-hack aspect of books.  Perhaps, "Books Guide: Tips and Hacks"?  Or something similar?
Good luck with your map :)

As far as fonts go... There is no way to actually change fonts, as far as I know - at any rate, nothing simple like "§p" or something. The minecraft.jar has a folder called "font" containing an image for the default font, an image for the enchantment font, and 222 images for the font for all special characters that we got during the language update.
Now, the only way to actually have more than one font ingame without mods would be to use special characters (from one of the 222 glyph files I mentioned) as a "font". Right off the bat, you can do this with Fullwidth characters - an easy converter from normal text to fullwidth can be found here. Simply input text, click Convert, and copy the result. You may have to paste in notepad and delete an invisible character at the start; I had to. Anyways, it comes out like this:
Posted Image
I think I'll be adding this to the guide; thanks, I hadn't thought of it :P
Could be useful for cover pages.
A texturepack can freely modify this file, "glyph_FF.png":
Posted Image
However, after trying it out, I learned apparently it won't work without MCPatcher :/
Posted Image
Still, pretty sweet :D. Although Fullwidth characters act wonky in terms of how many can fit on one line; was tricky to set up that title. I think titles with Fullwidth are probably best done left-aligned, as centering seriously takes too long >.<. Well, once you can place your typing cursor anywhere on the page, that won't be a problem anymore, so I hope that's implemented by the full release :P

The texture for the book is in gui/book.png, in minecraft.jar. That means a texturepack containing a "gui" folder with "book.png" can replace it just fine :P. From what I can tell, they can change the book background, and the buttons for turning the page. It's also possible to change the size/shape of the book. Here's the max size before it gets clipped:
Posted Image
It's 192x192, which is 26 pixels more on the right side, 20 more on the left, 1 more at the top, and 11 below.

Anyways, I agree with your suggestion to change the title; I'll do that :)

Casey1201
  • Minecraft: Casey1201

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

The hell?
Really a thread on books,
you guys stoop too low.
Posted Image

Dracojounin7

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

View PostMalcolm9519, on 27 April 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

when texture pack editors start messing around with this, are they going to be able to change the background easily do you think?  I don't like the look of it at the moment, looks a bit to much like a toaster strudel for my taste.
I use Painterly, and Rhodox has textures for the workbench, dispenser, potion rack, etc. GUIs. I'd assume it shouldn't be impossible, but I don't work with textures so I don't know if it would be "easy" per se.

EDIT: The author got back to you before I did, oh well. :P

Dragosh988

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

Amazing guide, thanks alot for posting this!
Posted Image

WolfieMario

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostCasey1201, on 28 April 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

The hell?
Really a thread on books,
you guys stoop too low.
Stoop too low for what? Posted Image
I didn't come here wanting to make a thread, and realize books were the only thing I could make one on. I played around with books, learned these things, and said "hey, this could be handy for adventure maps. I'll post it on the forums".

HexZyle
    HexZyle

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • Minecraft: hexzyle

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

Excellent work on all this. I will definitely be using this in the near future to publish duplicate copies of my more-than-the-annoying-50-page-limit minecraft fan-fiction. :D

fenceFoil

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Very detailed: this will make planning my mod that plays music out of books much easier. Thanks!

Jigarbov
    Jigarbov

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1392 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Bookmarked. Thanks
Posted Image

davegun
    davegun

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Minecraft: davegun
  • Xbox:davegun10

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

thanks for the info

mg_3D
    mg_3D

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Minecraft: mg_3D

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

nice job doing all this reaserch. Posted Image diamonds to you!

lolbot720

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks, man. This is gonna be awesome. The ominous 'flashing letters' is gonna come in really handy for obscuring things. I wonder if it works on signs?
- lolbot720, the guy who does the things
Posted Image

bmrjw
    bmrjw

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

View Postlolbot720, on 05 May 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Thanks, man. This is gonna be awesome. The ominous 'flashing letters' is gonna come in really handy for obscuring things. I wonder if it works on signs?
Coloring works on signs. Not sure about any of the other stuff.

Anyway, is there a pre-release for books? I really want to do all this stuff.

lolbot720

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

View Postbmrjw, on 09 May 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Coloring works on signs. Not sure about any of the other stuff.

Anyway, is there a pre-release for books? I really want to do all this stuff.

The snapshot.
- lolbot720, the guy who does the things
Posted Image