• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Is it safe to give away your IP address?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

rocketslider415

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

Is it safe to give away your IP address to other Minecraft players? i have an internet firewall so i think it should be ok.

one other thing, what is going on with my IP when other players are on? does it slow the internet down? are they signing onto my internet? please explain in full detail.

Register or log in to remove.

Yogization

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:58 AM

To my understanding, you must disable your firewall completely before running a server. I wouldn't give away your IP address, but rather connect a different way, such as (I am not sure how to do this) making a website that players can type in and connect to your server with. Ex: *Start up minecraft, click multiplayer, type in .com, ???, Profit.*

There is (to my understanding) nothing wrong with giving away your IP addresses, but there should be some precaution taken.

Yogization

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:58 AM

To my understanding, you must disable your firewall completely before running a server. I wouldn't give away your IP address, but rather connect a different way, such as (I am not sure how to do this) making a website that players can type in and connect to your server with. Ex: *Start up minecraft, click multiplayer, type in .com, ???, Profit.*

There is (to my understanding) nothing wrong with giving away your IP addresses, but there should be some precaution taken.

kaoD
    kaoD

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:17 AM

Yogization said:

To my understanding...

No offense but you're wrong. I'll try to put this as simple and straight as I can: giving away IP addresses isn't really dangerous unless there's some way for the attacker to gain access to your computer through the programs available at the different ports of that IP address. Giving away your IP address is common on the internet, and it usually happens without you even knowing. In fact, this forum has your IP address logged, and each time you visit any page or connect to any server, they get your IP. Yes, all Minecraft servers you've logged into have your IP address written somewhere.

Internet communication usually follows the client-server architecture. The server "listens" for client connections on a certain port. Clients ask servers to open connection on that port, and if both agree to do so, the connection is open, and data can flow in both directions like in a telephone chat. It's not always like this, but it's the common case (and how Minecraft works.)

Firewalls block ports so programs like trojans can't give access to outsiders (even if there's a program listening), but you can leave open ports in the firewall. To play Minecraft your port needs to be accessed from the outside, so the firewall must be inactive for that port, but you can keep it closed for the other ones for extra security. The bad news is that harmless programs with buggy code can lead to potential hacking, and yes, Minecraft could be that program (and it will not be monitored in the firewall.) It's really unlikely, but it could happen. You have to think if you want to take the risk.

If you hide your IP behind a hostname, like Google, where you type http://www.google.com is 173.194.37.104 (or whatever) and that information is public. In fact, when you type the address in the web browser or in your Minecraft client (or anywhere that need and address to connect to on the internet) it gets translated, behind the scenes, from the name you type to the bunch of numbers.

About what's going on... there's nothing going on with your IP when other players connect to you. Your IP is something like you street address but in the internet. It maps your IP address to your computer, so other people on the internet can seek you through your IP address and connect to you and let the programs in their computers (the Minecraft client) talk to the program in your computer (the Minecraft server.) The server in your computer holds the world data and updates each client with the world status (what's where? how's it moving? how does it look?) that they can see at the moment on a regular basis. That data needs to be transmitted in some way, and that's throguh the internet. Networks work both ways, you download and upload. What's happening is that the program (the server) in your computer is uploading lots of data (world status) to all of the clients (players) connected to the server. It will slow your internet down, but only your upstream, and you will barely notice it (only if it gets really slowed down.)

I hope that's enough full detailed and not too hard to understand.

redx1
    redx1

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:49 AM

Very good post kaoD.

rocketslider415 said:

one other thing, what is going on with my IP when other players are on? does it slow the internet down?
In theory, yes it does slow your internet down, but the affect should be minimal. Your internet speed is measured in a unit called bandwidth. Think of bandwidth as a garden hose and think of internet traffic as water. The more you turn the nozzle up, the more water flows through the hose. Every time a player joins your server, it's consumes some water and not as much water is available for other services. Gaming traffic is very low bandwidth though. I wouldn't worry about it slowing things down unless you're hosting like 30 people on a home connection and you have the lowest grade DSL possible.

Also, as far as IP address security, I know for fact all the mods and admins of this forum know your IP :Notch:

Silent_Samurai
  • Minecraft: Silent_Samurai

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

gotta love dynamic ip's
lol jks they are shit for server hosting
Videos about Minecraft Tech Mods
http://tinyurl.com/9l6km29

Labdash
    Labdash

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

yea but i put my ip adress on and when i tryed to open my server it was another guys server not even english so did he use my ip or what

PsYLoR
    PsYLoR

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Minecraft: PsYLoR

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

^^^^ You sure you got your IP address correct?

Oh and Yogization, Firewall does NOT have to be disabled, add "Minecraft" to the allowed programs.
"What you do speaks so loudly, I can't here what your saying."

Spike15
    Spike15

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

View PostPsYLoR, on 26 October 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

Oh and Yogization, Firewall does NOT have to be disabled, add "Minecraft" to the allowed programs.

If you're behind a NAT gateway there's really no compelling reason to have Windows Firewall on.

tharglet
    tharglet

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Minecraft: tharglet

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

Be aware of what IP you're giving out - make sure you're giving out the one that is your *external* IP (I assume you're going to have people outside of your own house connecting), and not your *internal* one, and if you have a router, make sure the port your Minecraft is using is forwarded to the external world. Also remember to whitelist :P

There's no difference in handing out an IP address or getting a web address. Web address is only to make it easier for other people, though if you have a dynamic IP, you'll want to use one of the dynamic DNS services so you don't have to tell people your new IP if it changes. Really, it's not good to be hosting with a dynamic IP, but if it's just running a server for you and a couple of friends, then it's prolly not going to be worth the cost (at least in the UK, most ISPs charge more for a static IP).

Yes, Minecraft hosting will eat your bandwidth. If you're on ADSL, chances you won't be able to host too many people. For a better idea, http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ will give you the likely number of people you can host. Amount of RAM your machine has is also a significant factor.
Posted Image
Here there be dragons. Please click to help it grow :) (If it's in fog, it's unwell and not in need of clicks)

tharglet
    tharglet

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Minecraft: tharglet

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

View PostYogization, on 05 January 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

To my understanding, you must disable your firewall completely before running a server

This is actually dangerous advice. If you're hosting public services, it's much better to configure your firewall properly than open yourself up to the internet nasties.
Posted Image
Here there be dragons. Please click to help it grow :) (If it's in fog, it's unwell and not in need of clicks)

Labdash
    Labdash

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

i am using my ip i just write localhost and i give the ip to my friends on once on the form so idk why i was on a differnt server i wrote localhost so i dont think its the wrong ip

Corse
    Corse

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

View Posttharglet, on 27 October 2011 - 09:58 AM, said:

This is actually dangerous advice. If you're hosting public services, it's much better to configure your firewall properly than open yourself up to the internet nasties.

100% Agreed!

You do NOT have to take down a firewall to configure for specific port access.  In my case I'm using CentOS 6 and simply configure the ports I am ok with having open and the ports I wish to have closed through iptables.  I can configure it to only listen to specific ports, specific ips, ranges, etc etc... so no, you do NOT have to disable a firewall to run a server.  In fact, all of the production linux servers I have worked with are using firewalls on them and almost all of them specifically are open to just what they need and nothing else, specifically for safety reasons.

So please, do not tell people to leave themselves at risk if you don't know what you're talking about.

The chance that something will happen just because someone knows your ip, however, is low.  But even when you may not know it, people probe servers all the time.

I could show you the log of my btmp log for my linux server, but you wouldn't want to read it because of how long it is.  Even WITH firewall rules, every now and then probes come across and people try and bruteforce and try to get a root session.  Could you imagine the exploits you'd be open to if you left all your ports open and didn't close them?  Oh man..

Remember, a firewall is not an evil program that kills your access to everything so it can't reach out to the internet.  It is a protective barrier between you and the other side.  It is there so you can tell it what gets in and what gets out.  If you configure it to not allow anything, you won't get anything.  If you tell it you only want some ports listened to, that's all it will allow.  But you need to read your manual, the guide, or do a little research if you are unsure how to set it up correctly!

Some good principals of running a server if you're a newbie to security....

If on windows:

- Make sure your firewall is configured properly!  Most windows software is going to be all shiny with silly guis and lots of options.  The important thing is to make sure the security is high and that you're only allowing the programs you need to access the internet.
- If you use this machine for anything personal, make sure your personal data is SAFE.
- Passwords should be strong!
- Never hurts to check logs now and then.

If on linux:

- Make sure your firewall is listening to ONLY the ports you need.  Don't leave yourself for openly known exploits.  You'll get portscanned and probed more times than you can imagine.  For the most part, these are usually bot programs and automated scripts looking for machines to pwn.  But they're common.  Don't be a n00b, get that firewall configured right!
- Check your logs, check them often, update firwall rules as needed!  
- If you use SSH - consider perhaps changing the port you use (also updating your firewall as well to accept this change), this will seriously decrease the number of active bot probes out there looking for crap machines and dictionary attacks hitting you!
- Remember... do not allow root access on SSH.  You should have it set so that you have to login with a normal session and then su to root.  If you get bruteforced and hit with root, it's all over!  Both passwords need to be STRONG, don't leave yourself open to bruteforce/dictionary attacks!
- Don't leave open sessions.  Always exit those sessions when you're done with them.
iptables -A INPUT -s annoyingpeople -p life --dport ALL -j REJECT

nmbschool

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

check this video it

webrosc
    webrosc

Kitty Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 8047 posts
  • Minecraft: webrosc

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:24 AM

View Postnmbschool, on 14 December 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

check this video it

doesn't matter if its a word as it can easily be changed into an ip
http://www.webyield....omainquery.html
just type in the host name into the top search box, select ahost/record, and it will give you the ip of the site.
no-ip just makes life alot easier as a word is easier to remember than a number, and it will automatically update when your ip changes
either way aslong as your firewall is up it should be ok

Kignus
    Kignus

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

View PostSilent_Samurai, on 05 January 2011 - 08:22 AM, said:

gotta love dynamic ip's
lol jks they are shit for server hosting

Thats why you use dynamic DNS :D

Silent_Samurai
  • Minecraft: Silent_Samurai

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostKignus, on 14 December 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Thats why you use dynamic DNS :D
Sure lol.

Or you just get a VPS :P

Videos about Minecraft Tech Mods
http://tinyurl.com/9l6km29

OMGITSANALIEN
  • Minecraft: OMGITSANALIEN

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hey, i go on alot of servers that have mc.example.com, is there anyway i can do this for my server?
Posted Image

webrosc
    webrosc

Kitty Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 8047 posts
  • Minecraft: webrosc

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

if you want a specific name, like minecraft.OMGITSANALIEN.com then you will need to buy OMGITSANALIEN.com first
most servers that use a set .com in the server name, own or know the owner of the website. any with a generic name like the no-ip.org are just using the free service

edit:- OMGITSANALIEN.com is available btw lol

OMGITSANALIEN
  • Minecraft: OMGITSANALIEN

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

Any site i have to go on to buy one? Like weebly.com or something like that
Posted Image