• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Why would anyone ever go into the nether?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

smokefactory

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:50 AM

yeah, lightstone is cool and all, but having to constantly dodge the 15 ghast fireballs hurtling towards me at any given second without a moment's respite isn't worth it even a bit. Is there something I'm missing?

Register or log in to remove.

Pykes
    Pykes

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:52 AM

Its exciting!

bleachisback

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:52 AM

For fun. If you haven't noticed, there isn't really a point to anything in minecraft, everything is just for the heck of it.

ZenZombie

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:53 AM

Only pussies don't use the nether.

FUCK YEAH BRING ON THEM FIREBALLS * Rips shirt in half *
The friendly troll... Usually

Destrex
    Destrex

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Minecraft: Destrex

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:54 AM

1. Fast travel
2. Netherack makes a good alternate light source, and is good for building a fireplace.
3. Infinite lava(if you can even make it to the floor).
4. Slow sand for building traps.

And you don't HAVE to dodge the ghast's crap, just set it onto peaceful.
The game.

CreeperPeeper

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:55 AM

It may have a use soon, I've heard that when (if ever) we get lanterns that lightstone and/or netherrack/netherstone will be required for making them.
Also its good for getting massive amounts of lava quickly.

[simg]http://i938.photobuc...logo_avatar.jpg[/simg]
ActFur on Air
Anthro Radio...for everyone! Invite your Grandmother. She's probably a furry already.
http://www.actfuronair.com/main/

smokefactory

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

It's not fun. it would be fun if there was a reward that matched the difficulty. That's what I'm asking, is there some hidden block or something I missed in an update? Some tactic that stops 5 more ghasts from replacing every one I waste 30 arrows on? Anything at all to give it meaning? It's a beta game, sure, but it seems like a lot of work to prioritize when it has little/no function.

ZenZombie

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

smokefactory said:

It's not fun. it would be fun if there was a reward that matched the difficulty. That's what I'm asking, is there some hidden block or something I missed in an update? Some tactic that stops 5 more ghasts from replacing every one I waste 30 arrows on? Anything at all to give it meaning? It's a beta game, sure, but it seems like a lot of work to prioritize when it has little/no function.

How to have fun in the nether: Stop being a casual.

And the nether is very useful if you know how to use it.
The friendly troll... Usually

CreeperPeeper

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

smokefactory said:

The point of the game currently is (I forgot who I'm quoting on this): "How long you can play in a sandbox"

There is no real rewards or objectives, you may want to wait until something gets added.

[simg]http://i938.photobuc...logo_avatar.jpg[/simg]
ActFur on Air
Anthro Radio...for everyone! Invite your Grandmother. She's probably a furry already.
http://www.actfuronair.com/main/

rock0head132
  • Minecraft: rock0head132

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

I had to use a custom skin I just did not like the look of the Bloodstone. But yeh that stuff burns great light stone and it is cool to hit gast balls back to em.
Give me my good old stone pick ax and I'll be happy.

thesmurf223

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

CreeperPeeper said:

smokefactory said:

The point of the game currently is (I forgot who I'm quoting on this): "How long you can play in a sandbox"

There is no real rewards or objectives, you may want to wait until something gets added.
I'm pretty sure thats Seananners =D.
Nether is really only good for lightstone and netherock. Lava's easy to find if you dig down enough.
Hahpeh Face :D

qwertyz said:

Also, prepare to be flamed. Just a heads up.
Posted Image

Ubahootah

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:32 AM

The REAL question is;

Why WOULDN'T you go into the nether?
*blows everyone's mind with deepness*

In all seriousness tho, the nether is a good experience for those people who want more challenge after they've gotten full sets of diamond everything, and want to battle tougher monsters. Also for those who aren't Australian enough at the PAIN FOREST.
Times Sigged: 1
My tribute to torches.
For every click, another creeper gets a hug, and another skeleton gets cooler by riding a spider.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Rustysporkman said:

I'm-a go drink some eggnog now. I have such a rage-boner.

White Owl

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

I'm with the OP. After several weeks of enjoying this game I finally decided to visit the Nether and see what there is to see.

Everything is ugly, there are fewer resources and the resources aren't all that great, the mobs are very annoying, the sounds are annoying... I don't get it. There's nothing there that's interesting to me.

But then I've never been into horror stories/movies/games at all. They seem silly. I bet if you're a big fan of all that supernatural horror genre stuff, then the Nether is a lot more fun.
Check out my 64x texture pack, Sandstone.

Johnrichey

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

Glowstone.

Bechorath said:

valeriaha said:

plant-like? I recall notch saying they were "crunchy, like dry leaves" but I don't think they're really plant-like...

I mean, what kind of plant blows up and has sulphur in it?

The awesome kind.

K_Kinnison

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

I found the nether to be an easy source for mushrooms.

also it is a good short cut once you place your portals properly

I don't bother with lightstone for the 9 to 1 dust to stone ratio.  Flaming netherrock FTW!

cosomos
    cosomos

Carpenter

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

White Owl said:

I'm with the OP. After several weeks of enjoying this game I finally decided to visit the Nether and see what there is to see.

Everything is ugly, there are fewer resources and the resources aren't all that great, the mobs are very annoying, the sounds are annoying... I don't get it. There's nothing there that's interesting to me.

But then I've never been into horror stories/movies/games at all. They seem silly. I bet if you're a big fan of all that supernatural horror genre stuff, then the Nether is a lot more fun.

i'm angry at you

:||||:
:D
(  [::]  )

WiseGuy57

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that distance is compressed by a factor of eight- which, needless to say, can be VERY helpful.

McEscher
    McEscher

404: Member Not Found

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • Minecraft: McEscher

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:24 AM

I am thinking the Nether is ++hard mode.  That is until it is tamed.  Taming it is very easy, just build a cobblestone structure so the ghasts can't hit you.  The zombie pigmen are no threat unless you accidentally hit one.  Then all you need to do is get out alive, wait a bit, and they will forget why they are so mad.

The rewards in the Nether are simply not worth the bother unless a extra challenge is your type of thing.  Burning Netherrack is a nice always on light source, but if you have too much it can lower the FPS.  Glowstone is nice, but such a PITA to get even with cobblestone cover since it takes 9 of the glowstone dust to make a lightsource block with light level 13.  Same as torches.  Unless aesthetics are a concern, use Jack-o-lanterns for a level 14 light source.  Soul Sand I will admit is nice for traps and boat docks, but It is just as easy to live without it.

I'm hopeful there will be more practical uses for Nether resources someday, and I'm not only talking about glowstone is the only way to make lanterns, but more uses for Netherrack and Soul Sand, and quite possibly a new material with a great new use.

Travel through Nether portals is nice.  I would hazard a guess that if you have explored enough of topside to need the portals then a trivial little thing like Ghasts and zombie pigmen are what you eat for breakfast anyway.

*edit*  last paragraph ninja'd...Doh!!!

qwertyz
    qwertyz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1637 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:28 AM

The great company, mild climate, and breathtaking scenery of course! Thats why you should visit the Nether!
Click for awesome indie game: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dhk-2Wb_IyQ
Posted Image

Sushi Nao

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

Because it contributes to the gameplay loop. It allows you to travel around the regular world more quickly, and makes cobblestone a precious resource again, rather than a nuisance. I find it a nuanced and inspired balance decision.