Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Out Of Memory! Out Of Memory!?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

polraudio

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

I have :P and i keep getting :--+: :Iron:  :--+:

Why do i keep getting the out of memory when i have 8x the amount needed?
I have Win7 Ultimate x64, 8gb of RAM, a AMD 2.8 ghz 6 core, 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 cards. 1tb of HDD with 400gb free.
Minecraft only uses 200mb at all times and hits 700mb max. It detects up to 989mb of ram.
No matter the settings i always run out. I tried normal,tiny view distance. I even tried fast graphics.
It seems to happen every 2-7min even when standing still.
Note: Runs perfectly fine on Ubuntu 10.10 x64 but i don't want to use ubuntu to play.
How is it even possible to run out of memory?
If anyone has an idea how to stop this annoying thing please let me know.

Register or log in to remove.

casemaker
  • Minecraft: caseworks

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

I have no idea, but it happens to me aswel.

And I too am on Windows 7 x64 ultimate edition, Quadcore etc etc etc.

its not the machine, its the Code vs Windows.

Fooby
    Fooby

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

You do have java x64 installed and it is being used (in case you have x86 and x64...  x64 must be manually found and downloaded from java's site).

casemaker

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

There is no stand alone windows x64 Java install.
Everything I've found on their site points me straight back to the regular ALL VERSIONS of windows download.

Which is the one i have installed and Verified.

Fooby
    Fooby

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp
Windows 7/XP/Vista/2003/2008 (64-bit)

When running minecraft is javaw.exe running or javaw.exe *86 in your task manager's processes.

casemaker

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

After a complete java clean and reinstall of said link:
Javaw.exe *32 is running.

Just like it always has been.

Fooby
    Fooby

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

Then you are failing to install and run the correct version.......  it should say javaw.exe, not javaw.exe *32  (i havent run 32bit java on TD recently, forgot if it was *32 or *86 for 32bit programs) I gave you the link to the x64 version of java....

EDIT: since you seem to need a DIRECT link to x64...
http://javadl.sun.co... ... leId=43883

casemaker

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Thank you, that download has stopped Java *32 from running with minecraft.
But...
I'm no child or newcomer to these here internets and I can't for the life of me find your direct link on the Java site, or any specific link to a x64 version.

Fooby
    Fooby

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

I gave the link...
http://oi51.tinypic.com/zn6bm0.jpg

clicking on VERIFYING does nothing otehr than see if you have java period (2_3 or 6_23) thus i said manually found and downloaded)

Gisst
    Gisst

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

What Fooby said:)

I don't know if that will help windows 64bit users as well, but I'll spam this here anyway:

- Download the minecraft.jar from the Linux/Others section from http://minecraft.net/download.jsp
- Make a batch file like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe -Xmx512M -Xms512M -cp C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft\Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
You may have to modify the pathname to the java.exe and minecraft.jar according to your installation of course.
- Run batch file

http://getsatisfacti...window_of_death

Good luck!

casemaker

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Fooby said:

I gave the link...
http://oi51.tinypic.com/zn6bm0.jpg

clicking on VERIFYING does nothing otehr than see if you have java period (2_3 or 6_23) thus i said manually found and downloaded)

Taken from their FAQ part:
"Please note that the 64-bit Java is presented as a download option automatically for 64-bit Internet Explorer users, as it is the only officially available 64-bit browser for Windows."

I guess that works for Firefox aswel,
I on the the other hand (Using Chrome) only see this:
http://img710.images...2738/java1y.jpg
with no actual link available anywhere.

casemaker

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

And Gisst, we're not talking about the Black Screen Of Death, this is a seperate error where it just crashes and gives us a Memory/Ram error.

Fooby
    Fooby

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

It will display every version on that page.  IE is the only "x64" browser atm but it will STILL default to x86 (even if you make sure to use x64 IE and not the default x86 version).  Firefox and Chrome only ave x86 versions as far as I know.

casemaker

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Did you check the picture?  There was no x64 like there was in yours, and installing the only available one (To me atleast) resulted in installing the x32 version.

I'm not trying to have a dig here, I'm just saying I'm not blind, I simply can't see the link that you can. (as evident in your screenshot)

Fooby
    Fooby

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

I did see your picture, I see it didn't give you the option but just "give info about x64".  

Did you try running firefox or IE x86 (or even x64).  Display issues like this can occur with many "custom" browers like opera, safari and chrome...  just don't ask me to explain why.

Personally I despise chrome for various reasons (just like skype when it was in development for OS X... memory and bandwidth hog for absolutely no reason)

vicflo
    vicflo

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Gisst said:

I don't know if that will help windows 64bit users as well, but I'll spam this here anyway:

- Download the minecraft.jar from the Linux/Others section from http://minecraft.net/download.jsp
- Make a batch file like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe -Xmx512M -Xms512M -cp C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft\Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
You may have to modify the pathname to the java.exe and minecraft.jar according to your installation of course.
- Run batch file

Good luck!

if you use that batch file your going to force minecraft to use the 32bit java.
the default location of 64 bit java is in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe (notice the removal of the (x86) part)

its easier if you rename minecraft.exe to minecraft.jar and use the copy the following into notepad and call it something like "launch.bat":
@echo off

"c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024M -Xmx1536M  -jar C:\Path to your Minecraft.jar

which is usually more than what is needed. you can change it to -Xmx2048 if you really feel the need to.

edit: to download 64 bit java you would usually need to be using a 64-bit browser otherwise it will just keep giving you the 32bit download unless you use the direct download that is already linked by fooby

casemaker

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

The info page is where I got the Quote from, and it doesn't give any link, other than straight back to the default.

And no, I had no reason to install and view a page in a different browser just to see if a link that I had no idea existed would pop into existence.

But thanks all the same.  

Lets see if this fixes the out of memory error we both are getting.

Gisst
    Gisst

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

casemaker said:

And Gisst, we're not talking about the Black Screen Of Death, this is a seperate error where it just crashes and gives us a Memory/Ram error.

Well, my screen was white, not black :) and the console said 1285: Out of memory. I assumed you have a similar error output.
Whatever.

vicflo said:

Gisst said:

- Run batch file

Good luck!

if you use that batch file your going to force minecraft to use the 32bit java.
the default location of 64 bit java is in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe (notice the removal of the (x86) part)

its easier if you rename minecraft.exe to minecraft.jar and use the copy the following into notepad and call it something like "launch.bat":
@echo off

"c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024M -Xmx1536M  -jar C:\Path to your Minecraft.jar

which is usually more than what is needed. you can change it to -Xmx2048 if you really feel the need to.

edit: to download 64 bit java you would usually need to be using a 64-bit browser otherwise it will just keep giving you the 32bit download unless you use the direct download that is already linked by fooby

Yeah, my batch file looks different also but i just copied and pasted this example from the aforementioned website because i thought most users on this forum are using english xp 32bit.

polraudio

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Seems to work fine after i installed Java x64.

enoch_exe_inc
  • Minecraft: enoch_exe_inc

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Yep, I keep running out of memory. Whenever I load a huge map, such as any map bigger than 15MB (that's not that big, not what she said), it crashes in about 5 minutes. I usually load Minecraft with fast graphics, because I like performance better. OK, I admit I have SPC (Single Player Commands), but that's all. I don't know how it crashes when I already have 2 GB of RAM.
Real Minecrafters Complain About Chunk Updates

Entertainment = MineCraft Too!

Posted Image

[Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond] [Diamond]