27 replies to this topic

Blackwind
    Blackwind

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2114 posts
  • Minecraft: Blackwind

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

Very recently I made a tree farm and when they finally grew I did the easy thing, I burnt the leaves and that somehow caught on outside and for about 2 ingame days I have had a forest fire here are some pictures during my firefighting.At the end I'll show you a finished version but I doubt it will ever end.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Has this happened to you before? Discuss and tell me any tips for fighting fires, currently I'm going from one end of the fire to the other so it doesn't spread out again. Then I also stop the possibility of spreading as well.

MichaeljMM79 said:

Talent didn't go anywhere, it just gets lost in all the noise. You have to find it.

http://www.minerwars.com/?aid=640

Register or log in to remove.

Grimgor99

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

I am yet to make a tinderbox to start a fire. I habnt had one since you spawn with it in InDev
Please click on my eggs and hatchings. They would thank you if they could
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Menen said:

Thats my Signature now.

Menen said:

And its not, "OMG THIS AM SO AWZUM" worth. Pigs fall down and die. Big deal

Dirtherliss said:

Build something out of blocks.

Sirquote

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:59 AM

yeah .. you tend to forget about it  after a while.  just keep some saplings  if you want to repair your tree view

Blackwind
    Blackwind

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2114 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

Tend to forget about what? Fire burning? I didn't see it happening for 5 minutes. By that time it spread so bad it forces me to spend 3 days firefighting.
Quite ironic it happened on a Saturday, BUT not funny.

MichaeljMM79 said:

Talent didn't go anywhere, it just gets lost in all the noise. You have to find it.

Emphursis

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

I've never tried putting out a forest fire, but I imagine some of the techniques used in real forest fires will help a lot.
Namely, creating gaps between the trees to stop the fire spreading.  When you have cut it off, you can concentrate on fighting it.
Number of search results for:
'Cage with spinning thing':14
'Cage with fire': 139
'Room with chests':482
'Found  a dungeon':893

The search bar is there for a reason, USE IT!

Poyomon2
    Poyomon2

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Why not just leave it and make a house out of dirt/stone? That would be much easier. Just make sure you have saplings on you.
Posted Image hachisoftwaremc.dyndns.org:25565

Blackwind
    Blackwind

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2114 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

Unlike some I actually like the trees and anyway I had to fight it off my big tree before(by big I mean stacked on each other). Plus it's fun fighting it off and it should be too long before it ends.

MichaeljMM79 said:

Racheter
    Racheter

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1130 posts
  • Minecraft: Racheter

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:16 AM

Make a system of stone walkways around the general area, so you can easily navigate the fire.
Man, I can't wait for water physics in InfDev. Then you could make an underwater tree orchard, and if a tree caught fire, just flood the room. Thats what I do on InDev.
Visit my dA page, for your daily dose of mediocrity: http://aliaskai.deviantart.com/

Lilyo
    Lilyo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Minecraft: Lilyo

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:42 AM

dynamite
Posted Image

BigD145
    BigD145

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:51 AM

Hack in an infinite water block?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Tcas
    Tcas

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

It happened to me last week... It was the first time I had built a "Flint and Steel" tool, and I tried it on the nearest tree. The whole forest caught fire, I fought during several hours, and eventually a 150x100 area of forest was destroyed. But it could have been worse, there were several cliffs that helped containing the fire.

I tried a few methods. Clearing leaves is the best way to stem the fire, however the cleared area have to be quite wide. It seems to me that 4 blocks is the minimum. Thus, it is very difficult to proceed in stiff forests, especially in infdev, where trees can be huge.
I also tried to fight the fire itself: In other words, I climbed on the top of the trees and deleted the burning leaves and trunks. But it's insanely dangerous, and if I wasn't playing in "peaceful" mode, I would've died dozens of times... I once was in a fairly high tree, stopped the fire only on the top, then got trapped by flames coming from the lower half. Yet, it's actually efficient in trees that aren't very high, if you proceed from on side of the fire to another.

Forest fires in Minecraft are quite realistic, they spread at amazing speeds, and fighting them is very stressful.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Frost01
    Frost01

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Location: Aperture science labratories, the home of portal and all things portal-ish

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

If it was me, I'd just let them burn and then plant saplings to regrow the forest.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI
^The Portal Song!^

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=b6Q_koTHB54
^Taste the cake song!^

The cake is NOT a lie!

MPeti
    MPeti

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1346 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

I'm planning to turn my half-floating island into a castle, so I'll purge the trees there. Will be fun :D

TheCreeperFriend said:

hello everyone. i am pro at this game but i don't understand how you guys can waste your time on this ­!!!!!!!
sooooo ­ you all
bye  [Rose]  [Grey]
Posted Image    Posted Image    Posted Image    Posted Image    Posted Image

misternick4

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

I just take my massive amount of uncheated tnt and seround the fire then....BOOOOOM, fire contaioned
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes."-Oscar Wilde
So don't punch creepers next to your house..

BadSyntax

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:51 AM

God I love starting these. :P

StarkRavingMad said:

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!

lowerthanlow

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

Yup. Forest fires. I have a HUGE area dedicated to those. SO. MUCH. FUN.

Bowserking64 said:

Andeh6 said:

What? So when pigs get hit by lighting, they suddenly develop into bipeds and receive brown leather skirts and golden swords from nowhere?
Yes, Problem?

Blubex
    Blubex

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1203 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

It's easier to just hack at the lower wood peices and let the fire go on.
since june 2009

dratini164
  • Minecraft: dratini164

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

This happened to me and accidentally destroyed all the vegetation on my island except one tree :?
Posted Image This little guy really needs your help. While you are on his page, please visit my other dragons, they would appreciate it!

Felthat
    Felthat

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3590 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

couldn't you just take whatever material you have in abundance and wall around the fire? it strikes me as easy and efficient.
You were a fool to come here, señor. You're playing with your life!

Lilyo
    Lilyo

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Minecraft: Lilyo

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

or you could just use dynamite to destroy the surrounding trees and cut off the fire.
Posted Image