2157 replies to this topic

Arod529
    Arod529

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostCuuldude, on 08 November 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

This is a horrible prejudice. The sexual preference of a person has absolutely no bearing on their personality.

So you would completely reject a person's offer of friendship because of a trait of theirs that they have no way of changing? Would you also reject someone for the colour of their skin, their eye colour, their height?

This is life, not luvly jubbly fantasy world... Our personality is intertwined into everything we do/are/stand for/belive in. Personality is effected by these. These may also change to fit our changing personality. There is no reason for me to be friends with someone I dislike or who's personality is annoying.

Maybe you don't understand what a friend is. All this social media BS has turned the word friend into a meaningless word. Just because you talk to someone and are nice does not mean you are friends.

I worked at a grocery store for 2 years, and not a single fellow employee was my friend, nore did I want them to be. I treated everyone the same. Whether my personal stance was more positive, nutral, anoyed, or dislike. I did my job, and interacted normally with them while at work and expected no more or no less. Outside of that they were just another person on the street. If I ran into them anywhere else I would say hi but thats as far as it goes. Aside from those who made it there intnent to become an enemy, I still and always will hold a nutral standing towards them, just as I would any random person I pass on the sidewalk.

A couple of them semi-regularly invited me out to drink with them, though it was more friendly harrassement than anything, for they knew I wasn't interested. If they were a friend, I would have said yes. However, I simply declined.

Register or log in to remove.

FireroseNekowolf
  • Minecraft: FireroseNekowolf

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Feh, never mind.
What happens when the Universe divides by zero?
It gets a result.

cnerde
    cnerde

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Minecraft: cnerde

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostMiracleMouse, on 08 November 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Again, so am I.  But what does it matter why they are gay?  Gay is gay right?  Or are you less gay because you have sex with people of the same sex for attention?

Either way, there are plenty of gay people who chose to be gay.
I am talking about being ATTRACTED to the same sex, there is NO way to choose to find someone hot and have a real attraction.
I can't spell, don't shoot me for it! Computer: Intel i5 2500k (Not overclocked for now) 8GB DDR3, 60GB agility3 SSD, 1TB 7200rpm storage, HIS-AMD HD6870. 3 1080p Screens, and one 17 inch, running on the HD3000 and the 6870.

FireroseNekowolf
  • Minecraft: FireroseNekowolf

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

The only people who I imagine who "chose" to be gay are those who are going through something like a gender-identity crisis. That they choose to be gay because the feel that they are a different gender, that they feel that they had to be straight because of their sex, and so are choosing to reject it because they feel it's not who they are, but the funny thing is, that gets to something deeper than mere choice.

So even in this case, it's not really a choice, but simply appears as a choice.
What happens when the Universe divides by zero?
It gets a result.

Praseodymi

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Anyone who says homosexuality is un-evolutionary I recommend you watch this video and read the studies linked in the description.

MiracleMouse

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostFireroseNekowolf, on 08 November 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

The only people who I imagine who "chose" to be gay are those who are going through something like a gender-identity crisis. That they choose to be gay because the feel that they are a different gender, that they feel that they had to be straight because of their sex, and so are choosing to reject it because they feel it's not who they are, but the funny thing is, that gets to something deeper than mere choice.

So even in this case, it's not really a choice, but simply appears as a choice.

View Postcnerde, on 08 November 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

I am talking about being ATTRACTED to the same sex, there is NO way to choose to find someone hot and have a real attraction.

Here

Here

Here

I am not heterosexual because I have to be.  There are men who I find attractive and pleasant to look at.  I am not sexually attracted to them, But I know if I wanted to train my sexuality I could.  Thus I could choose to be gay if I so wanted.

The only way to argue that is to say "No MiracleMouse, you can't do that."  Where as I would reply, "I must simply have more self control than you, and it is you who lacks the ability to find attraction in the opposite sex."

I am not saying all people chose to be gay or straight.  But, I do believe it can be a choice.

Posted Image

Arkalius
    Arkalius

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1093 posts
  • Minecraft: Arkalius80

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

The choice argument is a mere distraction, not worthy of having. To spend time arguing about whether one's sexual preferences are a conscious choice or not is to suggest that if it is a choice, it's the wrong one. It's like trying to argue that the only reason we should accept it is because homosexuals have no choice in the matter.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain wrong. Even if everyone explicitly chose their sexuality, this wouldn't make homosexuality any more wrong than heterosexuality. If homosexuality is wrong, it would be wrong whether or not you consciously chose it.

In my experience, the only reasons people seem to present for the wrongness of homosexuality are one of religious, nature, or personal asthetics. None of these are compelling arguments for why it is wrong, for various reasons. Anyone have something that isn't one of those?

MiracleMouse

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostArkalius, on 09 November 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

To spend time arguing about whether one's sexual preferences are a conscious choice or not is to suggest that if it is a choice, it's the wrong one.

Please point out where I ever posted anything to that effect.  In fact, I've always had the opinion, I don't care.  I think its awesome one can find romance who cares with whom.
Posted Image

NumberNoid

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I dont care who is this person who I like/have a friendship with, I might not agree with some their choices, but they are still my friend.

I personally dont know if I'm gay or not, at a age of 13 its hard to determine.

View PostSambaru said:

The NSA is the only part of the government that actually listens.

View Postaceattwister said:

Hell can't really be that bad. you've got decent company, more or less every scientist (so you know, re-invent AC...) You got the Guys who like guys, so you know, good fashion sense. Person who invented the computer is down there as well (he was a gay Atheist).

Machiavel
    Machiavel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1336 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostMiracleMouse, on 09 November 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

Please point out where I ever posted anything to that effect.  In fact, I've always had the opinion, I don't care.  I think its awesome one can find romance who cares with whom.

Good grief.

He's not accusing you of saying anything like that, he's just saying that people arguing that homosexuality isn't a choice aren't helping anything; that by implication these people are saying "Yeah it's icky, but it's not their fault! they didn't choose to be gay!"

I tend to agree with that sentiment.
The devil's advocate

Dr_Axe
    Dr_Axe

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1248 posts
  • Minecraft: Dr_Axe

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostNumberNoid, on 25 November 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

I personally dont know if I'm gay or not, at a age of 13 its hard to determine.

Only when you're roughly around the age of twenty one is when you start to truly understand yourself and your sexuality, seeing as until then you're still going through radical changes and severe hormone imbalance.

View PostRC_1138, on 07 January 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

Hey dr axe, do you really research this crap, or do you just know everything?
Steam: Doctoraxe

NinjaPope
  • Minecraft: NinjaPope

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

I support Gay Marriage because human rights and [FORNICATE] the right wing.
I am a Wizard, I haven't got to explain anything to some mundane asking 'Why' or 'How'. Have fun being a fish with legs.
My Pathfinder Campaign for the denizens of MCF: http://www.minecraft...r-campaign-ooc/

MiracleMouse

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

View PostMachiavel, on 25 November 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Good grief.

He's not accusing you of saying anything like that, he's just saying that people arguing that homosexuality isn't a choice aren't helping anything; that by implication these people are saying "Yeah it's icky, but it's not their fault! they didn't choose to be gay!"

I tend to agree with that sentiment.

Looking back I see that now, and yes, I agree.  My apologies to the readers.
Posted Image

Tybalt
    Tybalt

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

Right... Because a civil union isn't good enough. Why is everyone hung up about 'marriages' exactly? Because you can't write wills to leave things to so and so? You can't jointly sign mortgages and whatever? I mean, maybe things like employer health insurance might be problematic to extend, but marriages just seem so archaic.

Oddix said:

Tybalt, I want your writing on a T-shirt.

MiracleMouse

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Tybalt, mannn, I don't know if it because I am stoned right now... but I freaking agree 100% with your post.  But maybe the government is releasing weed to the public to make the. think YAY the government is friendly and we should listen and then tell us to hate gays.  WOW!!!  Is that not mind blowing or what?
Posted Image

Milikeny
    Milikeny

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • Minecraft: milikeny

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

In all honesty sexuality is just something that, if you aren't okay with you should disregard. Its like having people say something to you that you don't like, the RIGHT thing to do would be act as if it never happened and get on with your life.
In a world where only happiness exists, we would know no happiness, as there would be no sadness to compare it to.

abpop
    abpop

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1088 posts
  • Minecraft: wormhole98

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

It seems to me that there are a lot of bigots posting on this thread...
Posted Image

AramilTheElf
  • Minecraft: AramilTheElf

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostTybalt, on 26 November 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

Right... Because a civil union isn't good enough. Why is everyone hung up about 'marriages' exactly? Because you can't write wills to leave things to so and so? You can't jointly sign mortgages and whatever? I mean, maybe things like employer health insurance might be problematic to extend, but marriages just seem so archaic.

Separate but equal is a big deal

Posted Image

When you give a right to one group that you do not give to another, even if it is just symbolic, it is abhorrent and wrong.

Posted Image

Travis
    Travis

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 17744 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostTybalt, on 26 November 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

No, a civil union is not enough.

www.glad.org/uploads/docs/publications/cu-vs-marriage.pdf

Very, very different.
Posted Image

Yarsil
    Yarsil

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2218 posts
  • Minecraft: _Quint_

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

First of all:
You do not choose to be gay!
It is something that is determined before your birth, by a chemical reaction within your body.
(Maybe it is nice to know, the same happens with you evolving into a boy/girl, and feeling like one.
This all happens in different stages of pregnancy. You can, for one, be a boy, but feel like a girl, because you feeling like a boy/girl, is determined at another moment than you physically evolving into a boy/girl. Feeling attracted to boys/girls also evolves at another moment. During the time inbetween, the substances that make this chemical reaction, can change in one way, or another. It is something totally natural.)
You can only choose to come out for the fact you're gay, and I think you should have the right to do so.
Maybe it doesn't help evolution, but why shouldn't gay people be able to be happy, and enjoy their lives, just as much as heterosexual people?
I support gay marriage, for a full 100%.

Cogito ergo sum.