Latest News Article

Tectonicus - now open source

tectonicus mapping open source

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

OrangyTang

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hello!

Sadly I really don't have time to work on Tectonicus any more. I've got about two or three other projects I'm working on, plus I haven't played Minecraft for about half a year. With the new Anvil format I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to update Tectonicus, but it turns out I've just got no motivation for it any more.

The lack of motivation is caused by lots of things - not playing minecraft, getting fed up with whinging users, and Mojang for increasingly breaking things between versions because they've not thought things out properly the first time.

The good news:
I've open-sourced Tectonicus, and it's now up on google code ( http://code.google.com/p/tectonicus/ ) under a BSD license. The code there is actually newer than the latest proper release, and has support for the Anvil map format.

The google code project includes the map renderer code, the google maps code, the needed data (icons etc.) and the build scripts. It also has an Eclipse project and launch config so you can check it out, compile it, run it and upload a new version all from within Eclipse.

There's also my test map ('block gallery') in the Worlds directory.

If you're a programmer/techie who wants to help out on Tectonicus then send me a pm, or post here (or both) and I'll give you commit access. You'll need an email address with an associated google account. Tectonicus is written in Java and Javascript, so you'll have to know those.

The new version
Check out the new download page for the latest version, with Anvil support:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

It's not tested much, but you guys can fix problems yourselves now. ;)

The not so great stuff:
Tectonicus currently uses a custom fork of jnbt ( http://jnbt.sourceforge.net/ ) because at the time it didn't support the new tags introduced with Anvil. It'd be good to move back to using a vanilla version of jnbt, which probably supports the new tags by now.

Biome colours may not be working properly right now. I hacked in some basic support, but the old code is still lurking and it needs some work to get it 100%.

In closing
Tectonicus was originally only written for myself because I wanted a nice map for a private multiplayer server, so in a way I'm still amazed how far it's come. I won't mind if no-one wants to pick up development, but I thought I should at least provide people the option of doing so if they wanted to.

It's been fun - hopefully it has been for everyone else too. Posted Image
Tectonicus - high detail minecraft map renderer

Register or log in to remove.

OrangyTang

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Updated because I got the build scripts working - there's a v2.08 with Anvil support up now.
Tectonicus - high detail minecraft map renderer

rknova
    rknova

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

Thank you so much for your time working on this project, and for opening it for others to carry on the torch now that you do not have time.  I personally do not expect to have time to assist with the project, but based on the interest this project has continued to have I think good hands will step up and do some amazing things with this.

Dash16
    Dash16

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Minecraft: dash16

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Sorry to hear you won't be actively developing anymore, but happy the code is open source so that maybe someone will pick up the mantle and develop further.  Cheers OrangyTang, and thanks for all the fish.

Blue_Force

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for your good work with Tectonicus and the time you invested in itPosted Image

View PostOrangyTang, on 15 April 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

The good news:
I've open-sourced Tectonicus, and it's now up on google code ( http://code.google.com/p/tectonicus/ ) under a BSD license. The code there is actually newer than the latest proper release, and has support for the Anvil map format.
Did anyone get this to work with rendering an anvil world? I tried and and got an empty map, because it did not find any chunks.

AnrDaemon
    AnrDaemon

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Spoiler:
:'(

flydood
    flydood

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Thanks OrangyTang!  I only wish I was a better programmer to help out...  

You gave a lot to the community, and it was definitely appreciated.  Cheers!

TiNUZ
    TiNUZ

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, same here.

View PostAnrDaemon, on 17 April 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Spoiler:
:'(

Anyway, OrangyTang, Thnx for all the good work !

Blue_Force

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostTiNUZ, on 18 April 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

Yeah, same here.

Anyway, OrangyTang, Thnx for all the good work !
you need to download Jnbt here (download binaries) and then extract and insert in Tectonicus.jar.

psam
    psam

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

I've posted v2.09 which fixes the empty world with anvil and the missing jnbt.

TiNUZ
    TiNUZ

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

tnx guys!

Cybaerjunky

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

We will miss you

Thank you for your good work and best wishes for the future

flydood
    flydood

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostBlue_Force, on 18 April 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

you need to download Jnbt here (download binaries) and then extract and insert in Tectonicus.jar.

I had what I thought was the same error, so I extracted and inserted the JNBT files into my Tectonicus.jar file, but I just realized my error looks a bit different:

Spoiler:

Any idear what's up with the "java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't open jar files for texture reading" problem?

The strange thing about this is, I downloaded v2.10 and it rendered my 1.2.3 SMP world just fine.  I then downloaded 1.2.5 SMP, created a new world with Minecraft 1.2.5, and that's when I encountered this issue.

flydood
    flydood

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I tried 2.11 and had the same java.lang.RuntimeException issue, where all worlds previous to 1.2.5 built fine for me.  I'm stumped.

psam
    psam

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Seems either it can't find your minecraft.jar file, or it is modded/corrupt.  Try specifying the full path to the jar in minecraftJar attribute, or maybe removing that attribute so it uses your installed copy of the minecraft.jar.

For example, on Windows 7:

<config
	minecraftJar=""C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar">
</config>

flydood
    flydood

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

View Postpsam, on 24 April 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Seems either it can't find your minecraft.jar file, or it is modded/corrupt.  Try specifying the full path to the jar in minecraftJar attribute, or maybe removing that attribute so it uses your installed copy of the minecraft.jar.

*sigh* I'm a dork.  I updated my SMP file but never ran the locally installed client app which my config was referencing.  I just launched my client, accepted the update, and just launched Tectonicus --> It's appears to be rendering just fine, now.  Posted Image

Sorry about that, folks!

AnrDaemon
    AnrDaemon

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

View Postpsam, on 24 April 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

For example, on Windows 7:

<config
	minecraftJar=""C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar">
</config>

For example, remove double quotes in your example.

Tikimaster
  • Minecraft: Retsamikit

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thanks a lot for your Work!
greets
Tiki

Posted Image

turtle2472

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

Me and my users are very grateful for the continued development of this.  Thank you very much!

Spillblood

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Many many thanks for devolping this and also allowing it to go open source. Your project has beniffetted alot of users and hopefully will continue todo so. Many thanks for those that have been keeping it updated aswell. Community spirt is what makes this title so great=).

Wish you the best of luck in your future endevors, see you on the battlefield

"Don't trouble yourself with unfavourable matters in this world of dream" The Bushido.
Posted Image