• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

I PRESENT TO YOU A CHALLENGE!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

TototheCat

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

There is a door I want to build. however, I lack the skills to make said door. It will be a 30 block tall, 10 block wide door with the top shaped as 1 block tall steps (this being a double door looking thing it would be 30 blocks tall, 5 blocks wide, doors facing each other) It will contine until door reaches its width, and then will plunge straight down. It will be made entirley out of diamond blocks. T

he door must open sideways and not upwards. You have unlimited backward room, but as this door will be at the beginning of what I assume will be a LONG corridor hiding the redstone, but almost no forward room. side to side room will be 495 blocks on each side of the door (it will be perfect center of my castle wall).

I present to you masters perhaps the greatest of the challenges you have yet faced. I wish you all luck, and may your skill shine as never before.

If there is a hinges mod, you are permitted to use it lol. However, the hinges must be invisible.

I currently have not started this project (and won't until the XBOX version comes out on May 8th) so you must use your own seed worlds. Video tutorials will be necessary.
[url="http://www.minecraft...riend-network/"][img]]http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/7177trv/Achievement++get%21/Get+some+mates+on+Xbox%21/mca.png[/img][/url]

Register or log in to remove.

FurryAffins

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

this is such a useless challenge........

and whats the point of having mods when its redstone?

and whats the point of this?

callumkhang
  • Minecraft: callumkhang

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

How would you get it to close sideways? There's no way to extend a pistons from one side to another ( a 10x piston extender) then do it again somehow so you have an open door. You can't grab 5 blocks at once to be pulled back, and you can't push your gate 10 blocks into the wall then only push the other five out as that's already 20 blocks. Honestly it's not possible in my eyes, I highly recommend just making some sort of piston portcullis. Isn't that what castles have anyway?
Youtube is back =) Click for redstone

TototheCat

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostFurryAffins, on 15 April 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

this is such a useless challenge........

and whats the point of having mods when its redstone?

I personally think the challenge is entirely impossible. I see pople oooing and ahhhiiing over 10x10 doors. I only posted it because I figured giving you guys an amazing puzzle to solve, or to disprove a dream of mine. Anyways, I hold the redstone geniuses to high standard, and assume they would revert to the mod only after all of their attepts have failed.

View Postcallumkhang, on 15 April 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

How would you get it to close sideways? There's no way to extend a pistons from one side to another ( a 10x piston extender) then do it again somehow so you have an open door. You can't grab 5 blocks at once to be pulled back, and you can't push your gate 10 blocks into the wall then only push the other five out as that's already 20 blocks. Honestly it's not possible in my eyes, I highly recommend just making some sort of piston portcullis. Isn't that what castles have anyway?

Most castles have both.... They have a door on the inside of a portcullis because the portcullis is to protect the door from battering rams. anyways, you could always just pull the doors sideways one block at a time using some sort of massive sticky piston machine. Move the blocks off the sticky pistons somehow, and then pull a repeating cycle until the door is entirely open. I just can't wire something like that though, which is why I am here. I intend to get the XBOX version, but I'll be adding the door in last, and fully expect pistons to have been added by that point.
[url="http://www.minecraft...riend-network/"][img]]http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/7177trv/Achievement++get%21/Get+some+mates+on+Xbox%21/mca.png[/img][/url]

AroundWayOtherThe

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Opening it sideways is (as far as I can tell) impossible without mods. There's no way to power the pistons to get rid of the centre blocks. In fact, opening it any way other than a TNT cannon seems impossible without mods

TototheCat

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostAroundWayOtherThe, on 15 April 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Opening it sideways is (as far as I can tell) impossible without mods. There's no way to power the pistons to get rid of the centre blocks. In fact, opening it any way other than a TNT cannon seems impossible without mods

This...makes me sad. I had really wanted a properly (as much as minecraft can ever be) opening door, and not some top/down system. 1st dream cruhed. Lets see if we can still make the second happen though, which is havinga functioning 30x10 door.

MazeCraft
    MazeCraft

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

The wiring for both sides of the doors will meet in the middle of the corridor. You have to power somehow all the sticky pistons pulling sideways those diamond blocks. Thus your corridor will be 2-wide instead of 10.

View PostTototheCat, on 15 April 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

There is a door I want to build. however, I lack the skills to make said door.
So you mean a request? Minecraft lacks abilities to allow to build such a thing.
My best creations posted on the forum http://dl.dropbox.co...Craft_Stuff.htm

Dracus
    Dracus

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

I only know that CNBMinecraft managed to make 4x4 if he sees this challenge he might be able to do this

I present to you masters perhaps the greatest of the challenges you have yet faced. I wish you all luck, and may your skill shine as never before.

If there is a hinges mod, you are permitted to use it lol. However, the hinges must be invisible.
Not the greatest challenge at all, theres been one where you are meant to try and make a fully automatic flying machine using redstone, without have redstone on the floor, and that can last forever, this challenge is months old and people have made concepts, but its not automatic,another one is about 2-3 days old, try and make an automatic 64x64x12 building house, I participated in that one, its possible, but if your were doing this vanilla, then its tough. And a hinges mod? If there was a hinges mod, it would be very easy, just attach the hinges to some redstone, and it opens, then its not much of a challenge. Im not complaining, im just stating my points
Posted Image

csmyers
    csmyers

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Minecraft: csmyers

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostTototheCat, on 15 April 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

This...makes me sad. I had really wanted a properly (as much as minecraft can ever be) opening door, and not some top/down system. 1st dream cruhed. Lets see if we can still make the second happen though, which is havinga functioning 30x10 door.
look up headshot zealot! He was working on a 100high by 10 wide door, I believe. If you pester him he might start working on it again :)
Enjoy Redstone? Check out my channel, RedstoneInnovation for the latest in redstone innovation! :D

ISiTW
    ISiTW

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

This is just impossible. Maximum size of piston door is 6 block wide and X block high (best is 6 too). If you want to create that big door, you MUST use sand or gravel, or there is one brutal way - you can generate cobblestone as your gate, and as opening you will need to use 10-20 TNT Explosion. You can do walls of Obsidian.

Or, you can do it manually - just build this 30x10 door when you are off home, and destroy it when you come back D=?

RedSteven

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

It MIGHT be possible with a gravity block (gravel, sand or enderdragon egg, but you would not be able to have the doors sideways.

ISiTW
    ISiTW

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostRedSteven, on 15 April 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

It MIGHT be possible with a gravity block (gravel, sand or enderdragon egg, but you would not be able to have the doors sideways.
Enderdragon eggs can't be pushed by pistons.

TototheCat

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I now conclude that the door is an impossible task without hinges. I'll have to use a less grand doorand just make it look big. Thanks for all your opinions guys.

chieltbest
  • Minecraft: chieltbest

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

It will be made entirley out of diamond blocks.
Ehm... that's so... ugly.
Make you look like a ten year old...
Just sayin'...

Regular Hexahedron

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

There is a way to make a big door move sideways.

What you'd do is use a sand belt. Sand blocks would push the diamond blocks sideways, effectively replacing your diamond door with a sand door. Then pistons in the floor would temporarily withdraw, letting the sand drop down and opening the entryway. Then you'd use more sand to push the diamond blocks back into place later, when its time to close the door.

It's more work, but you can design a system that collects and reuses the sand after its dropped down. Or just have a big hopper of sand and refill it occasionally, letting the sand that falls get broken on torches/slabs.
To see a list of my redstone inventions check out Regular Hexahedron's Inventorium!

humodz
    humodz

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Challenge?
Looks like a "I challenge you to take out the trash" thing Posted Image

What you'd do is use a sand belt. Sand blocks would push the diamond blocks sideways, effectively replacing your diamond door with a sand door. Then pistons in the floor would temporarily withdraw, letting the sand drop down and opening the entryway. Then you'd use more sand to push the diamond blocks back into place later, when its time to close the door
I was going to say that. Awesome design IMO

TototheCat

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

View Postchieltbest, on 15 April 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Ehm... that's so... ugly.
Make you look like a ten year old...
Just sayin'...

It purely for the aesthetic look actually. there is nothing more solid than a 30x10 door of diamond guarding an Obsidian castle. If it looks ugly with my texture pack though, I'd probably just make the door Obsidian too.

ISiTW
    ISiTW

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

One way sand belt is easy, even for 30x10 gate. But, how to give backs diamonds back to gate and sand to place, where pistons will push it again?

Posted Image

LunarWolfBR
  • Minecraft: lunarwolfbr

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Obsidian can't be pulled/pushed by pistons
Posted Image

humodz
    humodz

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

kolownik, what's that thing that makes the button act as switch? (the design)

View PostLunarWolfBR, on 15 April 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Obsidian can't be pulled/pushed by pistons
So what? The gate is made of diamonds