• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

All I want is to play with my friend.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

maestro4202

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Let me start saying I'm new to minecraft.  I think the concept is amazing and I completely enjoyed my first solo run.  

Now, it seems like two people should simply be able to join up an a fresh random map and have some great adventures spelunking the deeps and such.  It's just begging to have a friend with you as you breach new dark caverns.  I tried getting a VLAN client and following the instructions on the wiki but was unsuccessful in getting a new map going with my friend.

So..seeing as I'm terrible with getting anything close to a game my friend can join going....will there be some kind of appropriation given to people with little or no networking knowledge to host sessions with their friends in the future?

Register or log in to remove.

Ratcab
    Ratcab

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Oh hai,

To be able to play with your friends, you have to have the server software, quite obvious so i assume you already have that. If you don't go http://minecraft.net/download.jsp

Once you have that, you will have to portforward, which can be easy to do, can be difficult to do, it totaly depends on how your tech skills are.

PortForward tutorial: http://www.Portforward.com

On the home page, choose your router, and follow further instructions mentioned there. Before you start PortForwarding, you also need a static IP but I believe thats also mentioned over there.

Hope that helped
Ratcab :(

PS: The port for Minecraft is 25565
Hi, I want to hug you <3.

maestro4202

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

That's pretty much where I am already.   I got as far as the port stuff and turned back.  I'll wait until they make it easier then going online and setting up VLANS, forwarding ports and all that stuff... but thanks.

Zakaib
    Zakaib

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:25 AM

maestro4202 said:

That's pretty much where I am already.   I got as far as the port stuff and turned back.  I'll wait until they make it easier then going online and setting up VLANS, forwarding ports and all that stuff... but thanks.

I dunno, a lot of routers/modems now don't need forwarding. Mine doesn't seem to need it, so it can't hurt to try working around it.

But at the same time, what kind of router do you have? That would help.
"Any sufficiently sentient being feels a certain alarm at the prospect of ceasing to exist."

Trawlers
  • Minecraft: Trawlers

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

Here is a no port forwarding needed method that is fairly simple.
Step 1: Download Server software for minecraft
Step 2: Download a program called "hamachi"
Step 3: Create an account and a network on hamachi, make sure your friends have hamachi too!
Step 4: Once all of you guys are all connected to the computer that is hosting the server software, Start up the server and have fun!
Posted Image