Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft: DOTA

pvp

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

Gyldenglad

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

This doesn't seem to work for me. I tried to install the map 2 times.

1) The red walls never goes down or starts a "countdown"
2) The mobs never spawns (the dispensers doesn't trigger).

It seems the redstonework is a tad bad in the version you got up right now, 1.1.

Register or log in to remove.

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostGyldenglad, on 14 April 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

This doesn't seem to work for me. I tried to install the map 2 times.

1) The red walls never goes down or starts a "countdown"
2) The mobs never spawns (the dispensers doesn't trigger).

It seems the redstonework is a tad bad in the version you got up right now, 1.1.

I'll take a look, are you sure you did put server view distance to 15 ?

Gyldenglad

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostZealock, on 14 April 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

I'll take a look, are you sure you did put server view distance to 15 ?

Yes, I made sure of it twice, I haven't brought the server down while checking this, just reloaded, might this affect it?

Tompa974
  • Minecraft: Possut

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wow, this is awesome!

WarCrime342

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostZealock, on 14 April 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

For the special shop ? Hmm, I'm trying to keep low prices because buying stuff can be annoying. I'll consider pricing them up a bit tho - and reduce jungle mobs spawn maybe.

However, if the map gets popular, we'll find a way to make all purchases automated and fast

Pricing on an exponential scale might be a better solution. End-game items should be difficult to attain. This might also make teamwork and banking a bit more essential to gameplay. The effect of the high price for unlocking special shops caused our team to work together and pool our resources, so why stop there? Make the special item inside the shops the same way.

Diamond armor from the regular shops need a large increase too. It was easier to just get 8 items for a full set than individually for 16 items. Plus running back and forth also discouraged players from using the individual armor pieces. Basically a game could have progressed like this.
Stone Sword (1) --> Diamond Armor Set (8) --> Diamond Sword +Sharpness (8) --> Bow +Infinity (6)
This would make players damn near unkillable within the first 5 minutes of the game. Especially by those that were killed early and lost their items to the other team. In essence, a well-coordinated team could corral the enemy inside the base while they continued to farm for more items. The enemy team having no way to gather items for armor and weapons, would have lost before the game itself ended.

Another suggestion that comes to mind is extending the potion shops. When players would engage in one-on-one combat, the losing player would just flee without consequence of having to die, considering that all players sprint at the same speed. Having potions that would make players take more damage (Potion of Harming), making them slower and unable to flee (Potion of Slowness), and/or making the enemy do less damage (Potion of Weakness) would certainly cause combat to become more unique. A high price on the more powerful potions (like Potion of Harming) might effect how often players would use it. I'd rather not waste a potion like that unless the situation is desperate.

There was a bit of an issue with players starting PVP even before the game was started. A piston mechanism that keeps players contained inside their base until game start would ensure that everyone has a fair chance to start at the same time. I'm not sure about the constraints on redstone wiring in those areas, but it might be feasible.

The spawn area needs some more work. Since the minecart tracks weren't color coded, I myself got confused and ended up at the wrong base. Silly, I know, but I'm sure it happened to some others as well. If you decide to re-design it, might I also suggest a larger rules board with some basic instructions on how to play. It was just vague enough to cause some confusion amongst new players.

I'm glad you've listened to the input of everyone that's provided some feedback so far. I'd also LOVE to contribute some of my time to improving this gametype whether it be through continued feedback, beta testing, or building mechanisms. Feel free to PM anytime.

Rezzuss
    Rezzuss

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostGyldenglad, on 14 April 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Yes, I made sure of it twice, I haven't brought the server down while checking this, just reloaded, might this affect it?

Try this:

Take the server down and then change the server view distance to 15. You also need to delete the map folder and install a fresh copy of the map.

McTasty
    McTasty

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

If anyone gets a server with this set up on it I would very much like to test it out, if you're looking for players/testers just PM me.

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostGyldenglad, on 14 April 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

I just tested with 2 account, you need players on both extremities of the map to start the gates. Otherwise one of them will not start (because you are too far away for the redstone to activates).
When playing solo, I found out that the opposite gates would not work

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostWarCrime342, on 14 April 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Pricing on an exponential scale might be a better solution. End-game items should be difficult to attain. This might also make teamwork and banking a bit more essential to gameplay. The effect of the high price for unlocking special shops caused our team to work together and pool our resources, so why stop there? Make the special item inside the shops the same way. Diamond armor from the regular shops need a large increase too. It was easier to just get 8 items for a full set than individually for 16 items. Plus running back and forth also discouraged players from using the individual armor pieces. Basically a game could have progressed like this. Stone Sword (1) --&--#62; Diamond Armor Set (8) --&--#62; Diamond Sword +Sharpness (8) --&--#62; Bow +Infinity (6) This would make players damn near unkillable within the first 5 minutes of the game. Especially by those that were killed early and lost their items to the other team. In essence, a well-coordinated team could corral the enemy inside the base while they continued to farm for more items. The enemy team having no way to gather items for armor and weapons, would have lost before the game itself ended. Another suggestion that comes to mind is extending the potion shops. When players would engage in one-on-one combat, the losing player would just flee without consequence of having to die, considering that all players sprint at the same speed. Having potions that would make players take more damage (Potion of Harming), making them slower and unable to flee (Potion of Slowness), and/or making the enemy do less damage (Potion of Weakness) would certainly cause combat to become more unique. A high price on the more powerful potions (like Potion of Harming) might effect how often players would use it. I'd rather not waste a potion like that unless the situation is desperate. There was a bit of an issue with players starting PVP even before the game was started. A piston mechanism that keeps players contained inside their base until game start would ensure that everyone has a fair chance to start at the same time. I'm not sure about the constraints on redstone wiring in those areas, but it might be feasible. The spawn area needs some more work. Since the minecart tracks weren't color coded, I myself got confused and ended up at the wrong base. Silly, I know, but I'm sure it happened to some others as well. If you decide to re-design it, might I also suggest a larger rules board with some basic instructions on how to play. It was just vague enough to cause some confusion amongst new players. I'm glad you've listened to the input of everyone that's provided some feedback so far. I'd also LOVE to contribute some of my time to improving this gametype whether it be through continued feedback, beta testing, or building mechanisms. Feel free to PM anytime.

Thanks again for feeback, I've taken notes and you are right about the items, it needs to be exponential to prevent fast games - Also, I really like the potion ideas, that will be added in.

The spawn area is currently what I'm working on, I'm thinking about locking players inside walls with instructions, that way the host would be the one to open the walls, and then begins (also the colored part I planned to do it but totally forgot about it).

" A piston mechanism that keeps players contained inside their base until game start would ensure that everyone has a fair chance to start at the same time. "

It's already in there, maybe players went ahead and started the game - I'll probably hide the lever near doors, to prevent new players switching it

My redstone engineer will be here tomorrow, hopefully we will be able to patch most of the annoyances tomorrow - then we will be working on features/balance for a bigger patch this week

Gyldenglad

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostRezzuss, on 14 April 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

Try this:

Take the server down and then change the server view distance to 15. You also need to delete the map folder and install a fresh copy of the map.

Took the server down, double checked the view distance was 15, no change.

The first base who "pulls" the lever doesn't get activated, and the cores doesn't open when stepping on the plates in either bases.

The items shops seems to get clogged a bit too. I was trying to unlock the armor/weapon shop, after running through 2 stacks of apples I could conclude that it only counts like 50% of the items you throw in there, doesn't matter if you throw them in slow or fast. The other items stores seems to have a 20-40% items loss when you throw them in there.

edit:
Interesting, I will try with more players, to see if it makes a difference, thanks.

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Make sure you drop items with a delay

Our next shopping system should fix all of this - will be using dispensers

Gyldenglad

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Alright so the bases opens alright now, having one in each base, but the monster dispensers don't seem to operate correctly, unless I missed something.

The map is set to spawn false. The tower defense seems to work just fine. If I put down a dispender, put an egg inside and using a redstone torch it seems to spawn the zombie just fine, so I think the server-side conditions are working.

Also the core doesn't seem to open when standing on the plates, does this only happen if the towers are destroyed?

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

To destroy the nexus (core base) you need all tower to be destroyed.

Also, the creeps takes time to spawn just run around in front of the tower. (The furthest tower in your lane)

A tutorial will really help, I'll work on it asap

Gyldenglad

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

The bases have been activated for 10 minutes, the only creeps that seems to spawn are the ones that spawn if you click the buttons in the woods. Although I will try to stay near the furthest tower in a lane for 5 minutes to see if something happens.

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Have you seen my test run video ?

It shows how it works a lil bit

Once it starts spawning, it's all good for the rest of the game

Gyldenglad

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yeah I guess that works..

Here, have a diamond *

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Posted Image

It's kind of a complicated map, the tutorial will help a lot - once everyone understands it's all good

I just completed the spawn room with locked doors, the game host needs to lift a lever to open them up

that should help some people

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

After a couple tests, I find he first wave of creep very hard to startup - I have an idea, force-spawn the first wave, save map

edit: I just found the bug.

MC edit didn't copy the dispenser facing the right way....

Fluffy_Jesus

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

So, We played another game of it. It was fine at first, but after like 5 minutes people left and it turned into a 5v2. I did notice these things:

Rushing the 40 items for armor / weapons is VERY easy if everyone does it. After that, the higher value items arent that expensive.

For example:

Diamond sword with + 1 sharpness: 6 items.
Diamons sword with  + 4 sharpness AND fire aspect: 8 items

Thats a 2 item difference for a sword that is 5x better. Thats a meaningless difference. You can use stone and rush all the best items with a stone / iron sword no problem. Diamond is WAY to easy to get. It is significantly better than iron and it should be.

Items should be raised in price, all of them. I feel like the "god" items need to be doubled after that game. They are good weapons and should be worth more than the average item.

Same goes for the armor, if not moreso. You can run from a diamond sword, but rank 4 diamon armor is crazy.

Zealock
    Zealock

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yep I'll change all items asap

You'll see a major creep spawn improvement with the lil patch i'll apply in a few mins - then I'll work on balance