Favorite Gaming Platform

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

Xboy001
    Xboy001

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1303 posts
  • Location: Land of Skyscrapers and Kangaroos (Sydney, Australia)
  • Minecraft: Xboy001

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

Unfortunately, it's a MacBook. I'd love to have a good desktop that could run Windows 7.

The graphics are fine, it's just that it can't run .exe files. I have Wine though, which works for SOME things...
Posted Image  My tumblr

Register or log in to remove.

thenerdal
    thenerdal

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2272 posts
  • Minecraft: thenerdal

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostMDawg, on 19 April 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

Not capped at a certain framerate - you can go higher than 60 FPS on a game.

The go-to feature for elitists - better up-to-date hardware means prettier/faster games

Mods that add in lots of extra content, or fix things about a buggy game before the developer gets to it.

Because of multitasking on a computer, makes it possible to record gameplay using free software instead of having to buy a capture card.

Its' exclusives (not being an elitist and saying that all PC exclusives are better than console exclusives, just saying that the platform has a lot of extraordinary exclusives that may take a long time to/will never come to consoles)

Since being a PC gamer usually requires being technically-literate, you can pick up a lot of knowledge about computer hardware if you're the type who upgrades their PC for new games

Being able to game on HOLY-SHIT-MY-EYES-ARE-BURNING 1440p (2640x1440 I think)

That's all I can think of right now.

I agree with you on everything, but the exlusives. Most exclusives PC has are ones that are meant to be played with a keyboard and mice and are mostly multiplayer games and don't have a singleplayer story.

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Athlon II X4 635 | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 | BIOSTAR Group A880GU3 | ASUS VH238 | 1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Gigabyte) | 313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 | TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A | Realtek High Definition Audio

MDawg
    MDawg

Mark of the Beast

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Minecraft: M_Dawg991

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

View Postthenerdal, on 19 April 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

I agree with you on everything, but the exlusives. Most exclusives PC has are ones that are meant to be played with a keyboard and mice and are mostly multiplayer games and don't have a singleplayer story.

I agree with you on that. Most PC exclusives are known for their multiplayer. I don't think I've played one exclusive that has a superb singleplayer along with the multiplayer.
Posted Image

bowserchomp
  • Minecraft: bowserchomp

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostMDawg, on 19 April 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

I agree with you on that. Most PC exclusives are known for their multiplayer. I don't think I've played one exclusive that has a superb singleplayer along with the multiplayer.

Then I guess you weren't around in 1993 when Doom became popular. Then again, I was a toddler when that was happening.
Don't fear the ripper.

met306
    met306

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Minecraft: met306

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostSummer Law, on 13 April 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

PC. Why? Because I can emulate most of those consoles on the list without having to use the console.

HEY EVERYONE

thenerdal
    thenerdal

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

View Postbowserchomp, on 19 April 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

Then I guess you weren't around in 1993 when Doom became popular. Then again, I was a toddler when that was happening.

Doom was also on consoles. It first came out on MS DOS, a year later it was on the Atari Jaguar, Sega 32X. In 1995, it was on Playstation, SNES and a lot more consoles. It was probably the most ported FPS game in the 90's.

It's also on the Xbox 360 as an Arcade game, so no. It's not exlusive to PC at all.

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Athlon II X4 635 | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 | BIOSTAR Group A880GU3 | ASUS VH238 | 1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Gigabyte) | 313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 | TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A | Realtek High Definition Audio

Simpa
    Simpa

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2537 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

View Postthenerdal, on 17 April 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Yet you can't provide facts that state so. PC is more expensive. It depends on the person, if a person doesn't care about how much something costs, then a PC is better, if they do, then a console is better.

It's like saying a GTX 680 is better than a 7850, it's true, but it depends on a person. If a person is not in a budget, why won't they just get two Radeon 6990's instead?

So, the only reason to get a console is budget.

When comparing games, you don't say "Runescape is better than WoW cause it costs less."
You can put in budget as a point, but you can't let it matter in the actual review of it. Meaning, PC is the best.
Posted Image

thenerdal
    thenerdal

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostSimpa, on 19 April 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

So, the only reason to get a console is budget.

When comparing games, you don't say "Runescape is better than WoW cause it costs less."
You can put in budget as a point, but you can't let it matter in the actual review of it. Meaning, PC is the best.

I was using a budget as a point. Another point would be if they have a favorite series that they like, like Halo, then a console would be better. It depends on the person. A PC isn't the best. A console isn't the best. It depends. For me, I love PC better because you can customize the hardware to get better settings and things like that.

And most games are around the same price, so price isn't an issue when comparing games.

Another point would be if you want better singleplayer exlusives, then a console is a better choice. PC has great multiplayer exlusives, but not many great singleplayer ones.

Rysta
    Rysta

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1435 posts
  • Minecraft: Rysta

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Postthenerdal, on 19 April 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Another point would be if you want better singleplayer exlusives, then a console is a better choice. PC has great multiplayer exlusives, but not many great singleplayer ones.
Wait, what?
We must be living on a different planet.

View Postthenerdal, on 17 April 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Yet you can't provide facts that state so. PC is more expensive. It depends on the person, if a person doesn't care about how much something costs, then a PC is better, if they do, then a console is better.
It starts to even out after a while if you buy games regularly.
PC games are way cheaper, especially when buying in bundles.

thenerdal
    thenerdal

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostRysta, on 19 April 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Wait, what?
We must be living on a different planet.

Name 3 great PC exclusive games that are only for PC and have a great singleplayer story to it and came out recently.

It starts to even out after a while if you buy games regularly.
PC games are way cheaper, especially when buying in bundles.

Not even. PC games aren't cheaper. Console games are cheaper sometimes, PC games are also cheaper sometimes.

Like right now, BF3 is cheaper on Amazon for consoles when comparing it to the PC DVD's, but when comparing to the download, which is on sale, then PC is cheaper, however, it's because there's a sale going on, it wasn't like that a few days ago.

Simpa
    Simpa

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2537 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

View Postthenerdal, on 19 April 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

I was using a budget as a point. Another point would be if they have a favorite series that they like, like Halo, then a console would be better. It depends on the person. A PC isn't the best. A console isn't the best. It depends. For me, I love PC better because you can customize the hardware to get better settings and things like that.

And most games are around the same price, so price isn't an issue when comparing games.

You wouldn't buy a console for just a game, would you?
Posted Image

bowserchomp

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postthenerdal, on 19 April 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Doom was also on consoles. It first came out on MS DOS, a year later it was on the Atari Jaguar, Sega 32X. In 1995, it was on Playstation, SNES and a lot more consoles. It was probably the most ported FPS game in the 90's.

It's also on the Xbox 360 as an Arcade game, so no. It's not exlusive to PC at all.

I know, but the thing is that no one cared about those ports. They didn't have the multiplayer or the modding that the DOS version had.
Don't fear the ripper.

Denzien
    Denzien

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

PC mostly, but XBox if I would use a console.
Posted Image

thenerdal
    thenerdal

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostSimpa, on 19 April 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

No, but I'd buy a console for a number of games like the Uncharted series, I loved it on my PS Vita and it made me want to buy a PS3, only reason I didn't buy it is because I'm waiting for the next generation consoles.

Same for Gears of War, great series.

thenerdal
    thenerdal

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

View Postbowserchomp, on 19 April 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

I know, but the thing is that no one cared about those ports. They didn't have the multiplayer or the modding that the DOS version had.

A lot of people cared about the ports, if that wasn't true then the PS2 version wouldn't have been the second best selling version behind the PC.

bowserchomp

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

View Postthenerdal, on 19 April 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

A lot of people cared about the ports, if that wasn't true then the PS2 version wouldn't have been the second best selling version behind the PC.

There was no PS2 version of Doom.
Don't fear the ripper.

thenerdal
    thenerdal

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

View Postbowserchomp, on 20 April 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

There was no PS2 version of Doom.

I meant Playstation.

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Minecraft: kynarus

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

View Postthenerdal, on 19 April 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Not to mention that the first 2 DOOMs come with the DOOM3 collectors edition on original Xbox. That's 8 consoles (counting PC), hardly an exclusive.

View Postthenerdal, on 19 April 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Name 3 great PC exclusive games that are only for PC and have a great singleplayer story to it and came out recently.
I'm going to edit this:
Name 3 great PC exclusives games that are strictly only for PC and have a campaign with great level design and a great story while also having great multiplayer and came out recently.
Seeing as no one replied to the Thenerdal's question I think he's right.

View PostSimpa, on 19 April 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

No, I wouldn't buy a console for just 1 game, I'd buy it for the many exclusive games available on it. That's why I bought a 360 instead of a PC or a PS3, because all the games I liked were on it.
No, there has never, ever been a sandbox game with a story or ending... except Grand Theft Auto... and Saints Row... and Red Dead Redemption... and Crack Down... and Assassins Creed...

Fusion14
  • Minecraft: Fusion14N

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Wii, because it has everything that past generation had and a crapload more. Plus no whiny 10 year olds, doesn't attempt to steal credit card information, is reliable (never get a dud, unlike say a PS3 which can overheat), encourages nostalgia, does things RIGHT, no bugs, no complicated crap, gamecube compatibility, good games, yeah, the Wii is lookin pretty baws now isn't it?
If you were planning on pissing me off then you already have by reading this.

N-Man
    N-Man

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Location: The universe. The one with the galaxies and planets and aliens and cookies and black holes and helicopters and dark matter and stuff.
  • Minecraft: _nimrod_

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostFusion14, on 20 April 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Wii, because it has everything that past generation had and a crapload more. Plus no whiny 10 year olds, doesn't attempt to steal credit card information, is reliable (never get a dud, unlike say a PS3 which can overheat), encourages nostalgia, does things RIGHT, no bugs, no complicated crap, gamecube compatibility, good games, yeah, the Wii is lookin pretty baws now isn't it?

?
Good games? The wii is for this remote-something gameplay. No storyline or something GOOD in the games. Super Mario Bros Racing? Nope.
Posted Image
Click it. Now.
Spoiler: