• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

lawa001
    lawa001

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:43 AM

After fumbling with the doors, I came up with this idea, as I thought that this may benefit those who are building modern buildings, and you can also look through the glass.

First off, like the current doors, there is an iron version, and a wood version.

Recipe:

:GoldBar:  :|:  :GoldBar:
:Diamond:  :|:  :Diamond:
:DORE:  :|:  :DORE:

AND

:Glass:  :Iron:  :Glass:

The door itself will take up to spaces, and will rotate from the middle. They will be free-moving. However, if you put an electricity current near it (switch or redstone torch under it), it will lock up and automatically revert back to 180 degrees.

Quick answers:

Q:Can mobs push the door?
A: Yes, but not if it's locked.

Q: What happens if you hit the door?
A: It will swing. To destroy it, repeatedly hit the hinge.

Q: Drops?
A: The double doors.

Q: What happens if I build something that's in its path?
A: You can't build in it's neutral form (180 degrees), but anything in the actual path will stop the door.

Design basis (But with 2 panes, not 4) :

Posted Image

:3

muncher21 said:

TROLL SQUAD ASSEMBLE!
YOUR LEADER DEMANDS FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT ON THIS THREAD!
ALL CIVILIANS EVACUATE THE VICINITY!

Register or log in to remove.

ZyanourixMC

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

Honestly I have never seen a wooden revolving door.

lawa001
    lawa001

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

Lol, making it easier for Minecraft-ers. You should know how many people make wooden houses. I guess that's why I also suggested an iron one :3

muncher21 said:

TROLL SQUAD ASSEMBLE!

qwertyz
    qwertyz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1637 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

I like this idea, great for decoration.

Have a ham.  :SSSS:
Click for awesome indie game: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dhk-2Wb_IyQ
Posted Image

ZyanourixMC

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Either way, I agree with Qwertyz. This is a wonderful idea. I think it would be more convenient to get through as well.

Good sir, I award you with one Notch.  :SSSS:

DiamondBoots

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

Yay now i can go to work in SMP!

Have some gold. :D
GENERATION 22: When you see this, put GENERATION 23 in your Signature.
Yes, i did play during indev.  It doesn't make me any better then you though, so stop acting like it does.
Posted Image
    Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
[Diamond] Posted Image [Diamond]

sashko138
    sashko138

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

I do believe it is possible,but very hard to code how anything can stop it,and how you could push it...

I suggest lock mechanisms that use Redstone to drop a sand or a gravel block under it so it locks

Typeowl
    Typeowl

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

In theory it sounds nice, but if anything, I think revolving doors in-game would be more cumbersome than regular doors.

A door is simply Open -> Enter. I suppose the only hitch is having to close it later, requiring you to turn around and that gets annoying. This is an advantage to a revolving door, no worrying about closing it!

On the other hand, a revolving door would have to be quite wide to comfortably navigate through. There's also the potential of getting stuck; what if multiple people try using it? As long as there's a lock function, the revolving door would be very abusable; others could lock people inside one of the door segments. As well, I think network latency and load on MP servers would make it hard for the door to operate smoothly; choppy rotation (cumbersome).

I predict a lot of problems arising if this were to be implemented into the game.

What about an automatically opening and closing gate?

Posted Image

uselessUnderminer

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

It's perfect for making a hotel. Now, is there any way to make them keep spinning like how the doors can keep opening and closing?

DeltaTiger

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

The solution, I believe, is quite simple. Right-clicking on the door will open it up just a crack- and then you push your way through one of the sides. Once the door has done a complete 180 degree turn it "locks" again.

The only thing that will cause a door to become "unlocked" is a player right clicking on the door or a Redstone Wire... logic gate... thing. :]

Excellent idea! :iapprove:

lawa001
    lawa001

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

On the other hand, a revolving door would have to be quite wide to comfortably navigate through.

2x2, two blocks wide, two blocks high, as mentioned in the first post.

As long as there's a lock function, the revolving door would be very abusable; others could lock people inside one of the door segments.

The 'lock' function puts the door automatically back at 180 degrees (horizontal), so a player can't get trapped.

What about an automatically opening and closing gate?

Two pressure plates on both sides of a door?

muncher21 said:

TROLL SQUAD ASSEMBLE!

Typeowl
    Typeowl

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

lawa001 said:

2x2, two blocks wide, two blocks high, as mentioned in the first post.

It could work that way, 2 blocks wide, but unless the door was aligned at a 180 degree angle I still think it would be hard to smoothly pass through the door.

The 'lock' function puts the door automatically back at 180 degrees (horizontal), so a player can't get trapped.

I see, so even if a person would be in the middle of navigating through the door, locking it would just push them through rather than trap them?

Two pressure plates on both sides of a door?

Hm, yeah - you got me there.

I'm skeptical, but to be fair, if I heard from a developer that this could work I'd be more in favor of it. You have interesting idea!

Posted Image

lawa001
    lawa001

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Also, you can't be locked in, because the revolving door would only have 2 panes of glass, to make it easier to both program and use.

muncher21 said:

TROLL SQUAD ASSEMBLE!

Typeowl
    Typeowl

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

lawa001 said:

Also, you can't be locked in, because the revolving door would only have 2 panes of glass, to make it easier to both program and use.

Ah! I was thinking that too. Yeah, that'd would definitely ease things up.

Posted Image

Typeowl
    Typeowl

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

[quote name="lawa001"]Also, you can't be locked in, because the revolving door would only have 2 panes of glass, to make it easier to both program and use.[/quote][/quote]

Ah! I was thinking of a two pane as well, I assumed you had a 4 pane in mind. Yeah, that'd would definitely ease things up.

Posted Image

Sarbinger
  • Minecraft: Sarbinger

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

well.... I like this idea and all but im afraid that it's just a little too unminecrafty

GuyWithAShoe

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think its a good idea just it might be quit buggy at first and one suggestion what if you could freely move the wooden one but the iron one needed a redstone current just a thought

flaminghawk83

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

Though I want a new type of door, not like this. This is too tech-ish for minecraft. It may be good in a modern mod, though.

Posted Image

themariofireball

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

It does not fit the theme of Minecraft simply because it is too modern.
Spoiler:
GENERATION 34: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. This is a Social experiment. I like pie.

Nsta8
    Nsta8

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1112 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

Seems like a good idea, and because it's features of a revolving object, it could be used for some redstone contraptions.
Support.
Posted Image