function ssp smp music midi signs sign editor mod

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

fenceFoil

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

MineTunes has Moved To A New, Non-WIP Thread for

Minecraft 1.5!

MineTunes (prev. MCDitty) v0.9.10.07 for Minecraft 1.4.6, 1.4.7

Make MIDI Music With Blocks, Noteblocks, and Signs!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Example SignTune: Anvil Chorus (Giuseppi Verdi) played on the Anvil (MP3)

(More Pictures)
Spoiler:

Minetunes will be released as Version 1.0 with Minecraft 1.5 in early March.

MineTunes plays music written on normal signs: right click them to play! You can turn a few notes into a repeating tune, build a doorbell worthy of a cathedral, or put on a production of your favorite musical. Keywords are available to make signs start playing when someone comes near, play and save MIDI files, show lyrics, use Minecraft sound effects as instruments, and much more, with new features every few weeks.

And now, MCDitty extends to noteblocks! Tooltips tell you what note a block is set to, an automatic tuner lets you strike the perfect pitch in one click, and netherrack and Endstone are the keys to unlocking 6 complete octaves of notes: the piano alone ranges between F#1 to F#7.

Features:

• Plays every note on the piano, and more.
  • 128 MIDI Instruments, 46 percussion sounds, and over 50 Minecraft sound effects (old and new!)
  • Tempos from 20 to 300 BPM
  • Works with vanilla saves and servers
  • Sound effects, lyrics, particle emitters, and more.
  • Noteblock Tuning Assistance!
  • High and Low noteblocks!
  • New: BlockTunes (A jukebox and 3 noteblocks, arranged in a rectangle, with blocks inside to make notes)

Installation & Download:

Copy the contents of the MineTunes zip file directly into your minecraft.jar, and delete the META-INF folder.  MineTunes will tell you if it is installed when you log into a world.

Finally, once you have joined a server / opened a saved world, press Ctrl-D to open the MineTunes settings menu and Auto-Update for the tippy latest fixes and features (they are often exciting!)

Minecraft 1.4.6 / 1.4.7: (No ModLoader Required)

MineTunes 0.9.10.07 for Minecraft 1.4.6 / 1.4.7

Minecraft 1.4.4 / 1.4.5: (No ModLoader Required)

MCDitty 0.9.8 for Minecraft 1.4.4 / 1.4.5

Minecraft 1.4.2: (No ModLoader Required)

MCDitty 0.9.7 for Minecraft 1.4.2

Change Log

(Also accessible from inside the mod)

Older Versions:

Spoiler:

Download Info:

Spoiler:

Example Ditties:

Spoiler:

Guide To MusicStrings:

Spoiler:

Example Books:

Spoiler:

Long-Term Goals:

Spoiler:

Thanks to:

- My friends and family for testing and support (and especially for putting up with the over 4,000 signs I've put up while testing this mod)
- Zoinkscom for suggesting redstone activation.
- The people who developed JFugue in the first place: thanks for making awesome music in Minecraft possible.

The Fine Print

This Document Is
Copyright © 2012 William Karnavas
All Rights Reserved

Spoiler:

Edited by fenceFoil, 12 March 2013 - 02:54 AM.

Register or log in to remove.

joostyboy1
  • Minecraft: joostyboy

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

hmmm sounds cool:)

zoinkscom
  • Minecraft: zoinkscom

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

I love it!

You should make it able to be redstone activated too!

Edited by zoinkscom, 12 April 2012 - 05:42 AM.

-Please click me-
Posted Image

fenceFoil

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Postzoinkscom, on 12 April 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

I love it!

You should make it able to be redstone activated too!

Thanks! Redstone activation is a great idea, I'll try to get it in.

Also, I just added my "SignEdit" WIP mod to the Downloads section in the first post; it makes copying signs and editing typos much easier.

zoinkscom

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostfenceFoil, on 12 April 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Thanks! Redstone activation is a great idea, I'll try to get it in.

Also, I just added my "SignEdit" WIP mod to the Downloads section in the first post; it makes copying signs and editing typos much easier.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
You are amazing they both work perfectly!
I can't wait to see redstone too.

-Please click me-
Posted Image

zoinkscom

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Here's mine
Posted Image

-Please click me-
Posted Image

fenceFoil

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

View Postzoinkscom, on 12 April 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Here's mine
Posted Image

Quite upbeat! If you were curious, MusicString lets you omit the "5"s from notes (as in B5s ---> Bs): the fifth octave is the default. Saves quite a bit of typing. (You'd still need to say the octave on "C6s" ect.)

zoinkscom

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostfenceFoil, on 13 April 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

Quite upbeat! If you were curious, MusicString lets you omit the "5"s from notes (as in B5s ---> Bs): the fifth octave is the default. Saves quite a bit of typing. (You'd still need to say the octave on "C6s" ect.)

Oh, good to know I just copied that from JFugue and have been messing with it all day its so much fun!
Now I have a question is there a goto command to go backwards because I know forward is Out (which you should put in the keyword tutorial)

-Please click me-
Posted Image

fenceFoil

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

View Postzoinkscom, on 13 April 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

Oh, good to know I just copied that from JFugue and have been messing with it all day its so much fun!
Now I have a question is there a goto command to go backwards because I know forward is Out (which you should put in the keyword tutorial)

Backwards is "in". I'll check the tutorial right now.

I got redstone working in my 0.8 code... but it will only work in single player. SMP redstone activation would require either a server mod or ugly witchcraft. That said, button-activated music is so cool I'm definitely going to include it anyway.

zoinkscom

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostfenceFoil, on 13 April 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

Backwards is "in". I'll check the tutorial right now.

I got redstone working in my 0.8 code... but it will only work in single player. SMP redstone activation would require either a server mod or ugly witchcraft. That said, button-activated music is so cool I'm definitely going to include it anyway.

Thanks that will help a lot!
and nice job making redstone so fast can't wait for 0.8!

-Please click me-
Posted Image

fenceFoil

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

0.8 is about two thirds done. Redstone activation in Single Player is in there, a handful of new keywords, a slew of bugfixes, and now when you start a song, all of the signs in it will emit a colorful musical note, like note blocks.

fenceFoil

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Version 0.8 is released! Redstone activation in Single Player is the coolest new feature, but it's a tight race:

New Features:
  • New Keyword: Reset (Akin to ending a song, then clicking it to start where Reset is placed)
  • New Keyword: Oneline (Any lines below this sign are all mashed together without spaces, allowing longer words, chords, and JFugue constants to be used)
  • New Keyword: Repeat (Like pattern, but only for music; no keywords. Repeats that music the given number of times)
  • Redstone activation in single player identical to a noteblock's
  • Particles come out of signs when they begin playing
  • Added config file that lets one disable midi saving, change the infinite loop timeout, ect.
  • Fixed non right-angled signposts
  • Lots of bugfixes

zoinkscom

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostfenceFoil, on 15 April 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Version 0.8 is released! Redstone activation in Single Player is the coolest new feature, but it's a tight race:

New Features:
  • New Keyword: Reset (Akin to ending a song, then clicking it to start where Reset is placed)
  • New Keyword: Oneline (Any lines below this sign are all mashed together without spaces, allowing longer words, chords, and JFugue constants to be used)
  • New Keyword: Repeat (Like pattern, but only for music; no keywords. Repeats that music the given number of times)
  • Redstone activation in single player identical to a noteblock's
  • Particles come out of signs when they begin playing
  • Added config file that lets one disable midi saving, change the infinite loop timeout, ect.
  • Fixed non right-angled signposts
  • Lots of bugfixes

0.8 is pretty good with redstone, but why do the notes go on every sign when you play the first? That's a bit annoying.
Also the music notes appear on non-musical signs.
However I really like those new keywords, they should help a lot!

I did some testing and the Oneline works fine, however the other 2 don't work at all.

-Please click me-
Posted Image

fenceFoil

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

View Postzoinkscom, on 15 April 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

0.8 is pretty good with redstone, but why do the notes go on every sign when you play the first? That's a bit annoying.
Also the music notes appear on non-musical signs.
However I really like those new keywords, they should help a lot!

I did some testing and the Oneline works fine, however the other 2 don't work at all.

Sure, I'll make the multiple notes optional -- one flies off of every sign that is activated right now. You can turn notes off in the config file if you don't like them, and I'll make them more subtle in the next update.

Non-musical signs should be adjusted not to emit notes... that's a good idea.

As for the keywords, all three work -- I have tested them thoroughly, but neither Repeat nor Reset does anything by itself. Try these signs for a quick example of each:

Repeat 8
Cs Es Gs

T300 I14
C D E F

reset
G A B C6

Thanks for trying 0.8!

Edited by fenceFoil, 15 April 2012 - 07:13 PM.

zoinkscom

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostfenceFoil, on 15 April 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Sure, I'll make the multiple notes optional -- one flies off of every sign that is activated right now. You can turn notes off in the config file if you don't like them, and I'll make them more subtle in the next update.

Non-musical signs should be adjusted not to emit notes... that's a good idea.

As for the keywords, all three work -- I have tested them thoroughly, but neither Repeat nor Reset does anything by itself. Try these signs for a quick example of each:

Repeat 8
Cs Es Gs

T300 I14
C D E F

reset
G A B C6

Thanks for trying 0.8!

Oh, yeah now they work fine.
I wonder what I did wrong.

-Please click me-
Posted Image

fenceFoil

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hmm... the new snapshot (12w17a) contains writable books: I smell something big in the world of Minecraft music!

Also, it looks like writable books will be uneditable, just like signs, meaning I'll have to try to make up an Improved Book Editor / Copier mod to go with the Improved Sign Editor mod.

Edited by fenceFoil, 27 April 2012 - 12:28 AM.

DerpingCreeper
  • Minecraft: JaredIsaiah

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Can someone explain me how to make this "MusicString"?

Give me an example of a part of the song "Want You Gone".

fenceFoil

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostDerpingCreeper, on 28 April 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Can someone explain me how to make this "MusicString"?

Give me an example of a part of the song "Want You Gone".

Sure thing. A good, complete guide to MusicStrings: JFugue Complete Guide Chapter 2

I'll post screenshots of "Want You Gone" after I write it on the wall of my castle...

Neon_ColorsFTW22
  • Minecraft: NeonColorsAero

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

Wow amazing mod never seen anything like it

Though it's a bit to complicated for me :P

Posted Image

fenceFoil

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostfenceFoil, on 28 April 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

Sure thing. A good, complete guide to MusicStrings: JFugue Complete Guide Chapter 2

I'll post screenshots of "Want You Gone" after I write it on the wall of my castle...

Here's the first few bars of "Want You Gone," for your listening pleasure: http://imgur.com/a/qm5zi

(From http://sebastianwolf...-want-you-gone/) (I used the first page)

Reprinted in plain text:

Melody:
T100
V0 I81 KAmaj Rw Rw Ri Ei Ai Bi C6i. D6s C6 Ri Ai Ai Ei Bi Ai Gi Ai Ris Es Ai Bi C6i D6i C6i Bi A Bi Giq Rq Ri Ei Ai Bi C6i. D6s C6 Ri Ai Ai Ei Bi Ai Gi Ai Ris Es Ai Bi C6i D6i C6i Bi A F6 E#6i C6i Bi A#iq

Quick Guide to the tokens used:

T100: Sets tempo to 100 bpm (120 is the default)
V0: Voice 0. Each "Voice" plays a different instrument: the background instruments which aren't singing could be V1 and V2, for instance. V0 is the default, if you never say V-something.
I81: Instrument Saw-wave Lead. Sounds close to original.
KAmaj: Key is A Major. This acts like the key signature on the sheet music, and automatically changes, say, C to C# if the key of A major.

After that it's all notes:

Examples:

"C" plays a c note in the fifth octave (default) for a quarter beat (the default again)
"C6" plays a c note in the sixth octave
"C6w" plays a c note in the sixth octave for a whole beat
"C#6w" plays a c sharp note in the sixth octave for a whole beat.

"Rs" rests for one sixteenth of a beat
"Rqi" rests of a quarter beat plus an eighth beat.

Good luck! Thanks for this song suggestion as well; I'm really enjoying it.