• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

It's amazing how much video game graphics have improved!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Simpa
    Simpa

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2537 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostTravis, on 11 April 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

I don't agree with that. Better graphics wouldn't necessarily make Minecraft, Terraria, or Dwarf Fortress a better game. In fact, they might even ruin the style.
That's because we made it that unique style, if minecraft had epic graphics from the beginning, we'd say no to the worse graphics.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Travis
    Travis

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 17744 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostSimpa, on 11 April 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

That's because we made it that unique style, if minecraft had epic graphics from the beginning, we'd say no to the worse graphics.
Hypothetical scenarios are irrelevant.
Posted Image

Simpa
    Simpa

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2537 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostTravis, on 11 April 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Hypothetical scenarios are irrelevant.
Hypothetical scenarios are the only way to reveal the truth.
Posted Image

Travis
    Travis

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 17744 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostSimpa, on 11 April 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Hypothetical scenarios are the only way to reveal the truth.
No. Evidence is.

Go conduct some tests and see if everyone agrees with you that graphics make a game such as Minecraft, Terraria, or Dwarf Fortress better. Then get back to me.
Posted Image

Simpa
    Simpa

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2537 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

No, It's too late to conduct that test, remember?
Posted Image

Dairuka
    Dairuka

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1426 posts
  • Minecraft: Dairuka

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Graphics alone do not make a great game.

However, they are important factors involved towards making a game great.

Ever seen 12,000 blocks of Obsidian towering over the world? I have, I built it. Go see.
Moraterra Single Player Survival - Last Updated: September 16, 4:00 PM PST

Blackwind
    Blackwind

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2114 posts
  • Minecraft: Blackwind

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

High resolution graphics aren't everything, I'd always prefer the game to look good but just because it has high res graphics doesn't mean it looks great. Take Terraria for example, it looks amazing but it has low res graphics.

MichaeljMM79 said:

Talent didn't go anywhere, it just gets lost in all the noise. You have to find it.

http://www.minerwars.com/?aid=640

Arklay
    Arklay

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostSimpa, on 11 April 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

No, Better graphics = Better game as well.
I suppose we should just watch movies, or games with 3 hours of cutscenes, since the gameplay doesn't matter at all.
Or a high-res picture! Graphics don't make a game, gameplay makes a game.

View PostSTEMM_monster, on 07 April 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Im talking about like Doom, Quake, Turok....etc. There is no way I would play pong for 10 hours Posted Image.
Oh yes, Turok and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil were some of the best shooters of the late 90s. I could definitely play that for 10 hours at least once. And even though the graphics were bad (though, Turok 2 certainly wasn't bad for the time), the gore animations (like the Cerebral Bore) made up for it, and of course the gameplay of killing Dinosoids, raptors, and the Primagen, not to mention the music. I personally dislike games where there is a 3-weapon limit, for example.

DTDsphere
    DTDsphere

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1472 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

View Post23232323, on 11 April 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

Doesn't look like you know much about Gears of War. Firstly, that's Gears of War 2 (2008, not 2011). Secondly, Gears is one of the more colourful shooters,
I don't have access to it, so I can't play it. I played it round a friends house a few years ago, played a few levels, all of them mostly being composed of greys and browns.

Posted Image

Siknote
    Siknote

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Minecraft: Siknote

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostDoomThroughDoom, on 11 April 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

I don't have access to it, so I can't play it. I played it round a friends house a few years ago, played a few levels, all of them mostly being composed of greys and browns.

You say that you prefer the other games colour choices, and that it really 'fitted the game'. Can you imagine Gears 3 with crazy bright colours? Of course not, the colour scheme was perfect for that game.
If you can't strive for perfection, what can you strive for?

DTDsphere
    DTDsphere

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1472 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostSiknote, on 11 April 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Can you imagine Gears 3 with crazy bright colours?
It'd look more like Halo but yes, of course I can.

Posted Image

Siknote
    Siknote

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostDoomThroughDoom, on 11 April 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

And you're actually telling me that Gears would be better if it looked like Halo? Bearing in mind you played one of the games a few years ago, and only a few levels.

DTDsphere
    DTDsphere

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1472 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostSiknote, on 11 April 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

Bearing in mind you played one of the games a few years ago, and only a few levels.
Doom 3 took me 3 levels for me to realise it was a bad game, Duke Nukem Forever took me the whole game until I realised how much I hated it.

I've just never had a reason to play GOW again.

Posted Image

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Minecraft: kynarus

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostDoomThroughDoom, on 11 April 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

So you don't own any of them and you only played a few levels (of what I assume is the first one, 2005) and your telling me what all the levels in each game look like? I've got the entire series and played through each, paying attention to the visual style, it is far more than just 'greys and browns'.

View PostDoomThroughDoom, on 11 April 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Like Siknote said, they use different styles to compliment different universes. GoW would be terrible if it looked like Halo.

View PostDoomThroughDoom, on 11 April 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Doom 3 took me 3 levels for me to realise it was a bad game, Duke Nukem Forever took me the whole game until I realised how much I hated it.

I've just never had a reason to play GOW again.
I'm not sure what your point is here, are you now saying DOOM 3 should be bright like Halo? It's a survival horror game, it's meant to be dark and scary. Same as GoW is meant to look war-torn and desolate. Halo is meant to look beautiful and other-worldly. Your point is completely invalid.
No, there has never, ever been a sandbox game with a story or ending... except Grand Theft Auto... and Saints Row... and Red Dead Redemption... and Crack Down... and Assassins Creed...

DTDsphere
    DTDsphere

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1472 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

View Post23232323, on 12 April 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

So you don't own any of them and you only played a few levels (of what I assume is the first one, 2005) and your telling me what all the levels in each game look like? I've got the entire series and played through each, paying attention to the visual style, it is far more than just 'greys and browns'.

Like Siknote said, they use different styles to compliment different universes. GoW would be terrible if it looked like Halo.

I'm not sure what your point is here, are you now saying DOOM 3 should be bright like Halo? It's a survival horror game, it's meant to be dark and scary. Same as GoW is meant to look war-torn and desolate. Halo is meant to look beautiful and other-worldly. Your point is completely invalid.
So my argument is invalid for not being into dark games.

k.

Posted Image

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostDoomThroughDoom, on 12 April 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

So my argument is invalid for not being into dark games.

k.
Your logics is invalid because you haven't explained why GoW (and those other games) are bad besides not liking the genre, which isn't an argument. Now you seem to be saying this is just your opinion so you don't have to keep arguing, in which case you shouldn't have started arguing.
No, there has never, ever been a sandbox game with a story or ending... except Grand Theft Auto... and Saints Row... and Red Dead Redemption... and Crack Down... and Assassins Creed...

Simpa
    Simpa

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2537 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostArklay, on 11 April 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I suppose we should just watch movies, or games with 3 hours of cutscenes, since the gameplay doesn't matter at all.
Or a high-res picture! Graphics don't make a game, gameplay makes a game.
Can you read? Cause that's not what I said.
I said that better graphics = Better game, I didn't say Good graphics = Good game.
Posted Image

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1934 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostSimpa, on 13 April 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Can you read? Cause that's not what I said.
I said that better graphics = Better game, I didn't say Good graphics = Good game.
Depends on the kind of game, but most games will look better if they have good graphics.

Zakristone

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

Makes me wonder, will there ever be a limit to resolution or the amount of polygons in a model?

Siknote
    Siknote

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostZakristone, on 15 April 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Makes me wonder, will there ever be a limit to resolution or the amount of polygons in a model?

I honestly can't wait for the day when we actually have to answer that properly!