• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

POLL: Future of the servers section organisation -- PLEASE VOTE!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think (587 member(s) have cast votes)

Should big and small servers have different sections? (If yes, post your criteria ideas below)

1. I use MCF to advertise a server: Yes, big and small should be separate (180 votes [30.72%])

Percentage of vote: 30.72%

2. I use MCF to advertise a server: No, big and small should not be separate (70 votes [11.95%])

Percentage of vote: 11.95%

3. I use MCF to find servers to play on: Yes, big and small should be separate (293 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. I use MCF to find servers to play on: No, big and small should not be separate (43 votes [7.34%])

Percentage of vote: 7.34%

Should whitelist requests only be allowed in a separate topic that can't be bumped?

1. I use MCF to advertise a server: Yes, whitelist requests should go in their own topic (159 votes [27.13%])

Percentage of vote: 27.13%

2. I use MCF to advertise a server: No, whitelist requests should not go in their own topic (95 votes [16.21%])

Percentage of vote: 16.21%

3. I use MCF to find servers to play on: Yes, whitelist requests should go in their own topic (199 votes [33.96%])

Percentage of vote: 33.96%

4. I use MCF to find servers to play on: No, whitelist requests should not go in their own topic (133 votes [22.70%])

Percentage of vote: 22.70%

Are you happy with the servers section on MCF?

1. I use MCF to advertise a server: I love it, the section is PERFECT! (29 votes [4.95%])

Percentage of vote: 4.95%

2. I use MCF to advertise a server: It's okay, I can advertise my server and I get players but I can't compete without bumping (126 votes [21.50%])

Percentage of vote: 21.50%

3. I use MCF to advertise a server: I don't like it but I get some players, it could be improved a lot (44 votes [7.51%])

Percentage of vote: 7.51%

4. I use MCF to advertise a server: I hate it, it's impossible to get players for my server without cheating (48 votes [8.19%])

Percentage of vote: 8.19%

5. I use MCF to find servers to play on: I love it, the section is PERFECT! (15 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

6. I use MCF to find servers to play on: It's okay, I can find the servers I want but it could be better (160 votes [27.30%])

Percentage of vote: 27.30%

7. I use MCF to find servers to play on: I don't like it, but it's usable (117 votes [19.97%])

Percentage of vote: 19.97%

8. I use MCF to find servers to play on: I hate it, it's impossible to find good servers to play on (47 votes [8.02%])

Percentage of vote: 8.02%

Vote

citricsquid
  • Minecraft: citricsquid
  • Xbox:citricsquid

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi!

A problem that a lot of servers have here is that when they're small and starting out it's very hard to get traction and remain on the front page without spamming/bumping.

A solution we've considered in the past and one I'm reconsidering today is to separate large and small servers and also not allow server topics to be used for whitelisting; creating a seperate section for whitelists.

I would appreciate if you can vote in the poll and leave your feedback in this topic so that we can discuss it.

Thanks!

Register or log in to remove.

Crysillion
    Crysillion

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

I voted to change it. My reasoning is thus:

It simply doesn't make sense that large servers are allowed to keep their topic bumped with whitelisting while smaller servers have to struggle to not break the rules to get noticed. Far too much effort is being asked of smaller servers while large servers hardly have to do anything at all and retain first page and consistent notice all day everyday. Changing this would mean that a topic being bumped via whitelist app and approval/denial is no longer allowed. This would put smaller servers and larger servers on equal footing. This should happen.

kane705
    kane705

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Minecraft: kane705

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

I used to play on an amazing server hosted by my friend, but it isn't up anymore because nobody could see the forum topic and join. I didn't want to break forum rules and spam the thread so it could be seen for a mere 5 seconds before it got buried under all the other established servers
pinocchio: "My nose will grow"                  
My little pony is for little girls

Crykura
    Crykura

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • Minecraft: Crykura
  • Xbox:TsB I Talent

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I liked the old one where you get to support starting out servers. Also it was easyer to tell what stage the server was at.

Yasashii
    Yasashii

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Minecraft: yasashii_kun

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

If you want to change server organisation I think you should adress the recent problem that is pvp.

Lately, it's been getting increasingly difficult to find non-pvp servers. It might not appear to you like that if you just read the server descriptions because often, there's no information about that. Sometimes you find out that a server is pvp-enabled when you walk out of spawn and see the message: "Now leaving safe zone. pvp enabled".

However if you asked the players if they like pvp, the opinions would be most probably divided. This is why I think dividing the servers into pvp and non-pvp would be a very useful feature. And, if you don't want to do that for whatever reason, you could at least make it obligatory to add an information in the server description about the pvp. Preferably, make a special tag that could be filtered out in the searching to automatize the process of finding non-pvp servers.

I know it might seem like a selfish wishlist but I really believe that could help out many people.

IAreKyleW00t
  • Minecraft: IAreKyleW00t

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Q: Should big and Small Servers have Separate Sections?

A: Yes.
This is for obvious reasons... many well established server (such as Super-Earth, Savage-PvP, etc) are constantly getting applications just because they are so well know. People constantly want to join them, and because of that new server get pushed lower and lower down the forum. Another reason is that some people don't want to join a huge server; they may want a new, small and relaxing server... but how can they find it when they're all on page 17 of the forum?

My idea to figure out a way to determine if a server is considered "large" would be based on the amount of posts they have. Once the thread reaches.... lets say, 250 replies, we can consider it a "well established" server. You guys could then proceed to moving it to the other section of the forum. Doing it this way it good, because even if they bump their server then they're just getting closer and closer to being put in the bigger sections without having a solid community yet - giving people a reason to not - or limit - how much they bump their thread.

Quote my post to make sure I see it.

Aeonxan
    Aeonxan

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Finally! I miss the Starting up new sever section... It's where all the small severs go that can't compete! The big-boii-severs are dominating the small ones or non-whitelisted ones. I would be very happy to see change, and big thanks goes to the MCF-staff for actually listening to us. Thanks buddaizs.
Posted Image

ForgottenRealmsCraft

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think there are two ways to go around this:

You split each server into different forums depending on its type (PvP, RP etc)

Or

There is a forums for servers that have been out for....say a year, and the younger servers.

Crykura
    Crykura

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • Minecraft: Crykura
  • Xbox:TsB I Talent

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

I also think we sould have a split with Whitelisted servers and non Whitelisted

JackBooz
    JackBooz

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2566 posts
  • Minecraft: jackbooz

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Ok so in my opinion i think there should be different sections for different types of servers like ForgottenRealmsCraft said but inside those sections however i think you should have 2 different parts of it, New/Small Servers and Big/Long Time Existing. Also i think once a post in the New/Small servers gets so big or so many views/ votes you should have it so they are moved to the other topic.

Or

You could have a system where the topic gets voted on and have 2 different sections 1 for small new servers other for big servers and once the small servers reach so many votes they get moved into the big server places

Now about the whitelisting thing, i think you should just let the people have there whitelsiting applications on the fourm post so they dont have to continuously watch 2 topics.

Posted Image

__Plasma__
  • Location: A little Cabin in the woods of Minecraftia watching Adventure Time
  • Minecraft: __Plasma__

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

A small server should have no trouble watching two different sections. It all comes down to the dedication of that server and its' staff. But, no one can really filter the dynamic Roleplay servers from the straight-forward survival ones.

On the topic of splitting topics between the topic of the server itself and the white-list for it... That can be a little tricky. Depending on what the Forum Admins have in mind, they may simply make two different forum sections for both white-list and the server post itself; or they may keep it all in one forum section and risk the troubles of all the bumping and small/big servers mixing and the stress of it all jumbled together. It'd be nice to get some feedback of what the Admins can and can't do, as well as their own ideas or feedback on those that have already been presented.

Organization can be a really good factor when it comes to this sort of thing. You don't really do much change if you just divide one thing from another thing when it comes to these forum topics. If you really want the server forums to be more structured, you'll have to have a lot of change. Such as multiple different forum sections with a multitude of different preferences of topics in that section. An important factor here, like said by the others, is splitting the established servers from the newer ones. Create two sections, for example: "Existing Servers" and "Starting-Up Servers", and perhaps use a small description of the two topics below their prior names like "For those servers who are larger and more established!" etc. Most servers will start out in the Starting-Up section where you have both PvP and Non-PvP servers that have under 150 posts. Moving along, that server gets over 150 posts and they are automatically moved into the existing servers section. In the existing server section, you will then have divided sub-topics for both PvP and Non-PvP established servers. This will help players find what kind of server they are looking for without going through a hassle of several different types of servers.

When a server is starting out, dividing them isn't really a major problem. Why not just do it when they are established?

Going back to the topic of separate white-list threads and server threads, that's another story. Personally, my upcoming Roleplay server won't have a white-listing thread because all that will be done on our forums page. But, a forum section like "White-list Topics" would be only an 'okay' change if it was enforced. You'll be cutting out a lot of lazy players though. The thread owners also would have to post a direct link to the topic, of course, wouldn't want people digging around for it blindly. I think separating white-list topics from server topics isn't going to do very much.

There isn't much else to be done other than what has already been said.

Chapatrap
  • Minecraft: Chapatrap

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think we should split up TYPES of Servers. Roleplay servers their own thread, PvP their own Thread, Survival Thread, etc. etc.
Join the RPGuild. Be a lad. Do it for me and for your western freedoms. Lub u all.

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16138 posts
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I could get behind having a seperate section for larger and smaller server, perhaps based on thread size instead of slot count since that would be easier to verify, at least on MCF.  It would give servers starting out a chance against behemoths like Buxville, Super Earth, Killion, etc that seem to get 10-20 pages a day

CJAyris
    CJAyris

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

is there not a way you could implement a way to filter or sort topics by pvp, faction etc by using tags or something similar. for me and im sure many others that would be a useful addition aswell, anyway to sort the servers so you can find those that appeal to you, rather than having to read multiple threads to find out the individual details.

as for the big servers and small servers, i always sort by date started already to find the new servers, and so you've already got a way for the new servers to be noticed, i dont see why this needs changing.

although having said that, with regards to whitelisting, i agree once a thread containing the info has been set up, there should be a seperate section for whitelisting  , but purely so people can ask questions on the server thread without these getting lost within whitelist requests

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16138 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostCJAyris, on 05 April 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

is there not a way you could implement a way to filter or sort topics by pvp, faction etc by using tags or something similar. for me and im sure many others that would be a useful addition aswell, anyway to sort the servers so you can find those that appeal to you, rather than having to read multiple threads to find out the individual details.

You can already search by tags using Advanced Search, though the tagsa thread uses are up to the thread OP right now (IIRC)

CJAyris
    CJAyris

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Postjefe323, on 05 April 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

You can already search by tags using Advanced Search, though the tagsa thread uses are up to the thread OP right now (IIRC)

yes i use that quite regularly, however there is no option of sorting by date started, just last post, maybe by adding that option you would remove the need to split the servers by size?

also you made the point of it being upto the thread op as to which tags he includes, is there no way to set it up so people have to select for eg. pvp or non-pvp when adding threads? that would make it more beneficial to the smaller servers, as most small servers dont add tags, and so are automactically ignored by those who use adv. search

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16138 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

IPB allows you to force users to use pre-defined tags, but I'm not sure if it can force a user to actually use tags at all(if that makes sense).  If you are referring to the advanced search filter options, I'm not sure IPB allows you to add filters to it :(

You also have to take into account the average user.  Honestly, they aren't going to be using advanced search or the filter options which is why IMO we need to improve the system

thejohnnyg87
  • Minecraft: thejohnnyg87

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

What you need is someone to code a custom page for you that loads the forum normally, but with checkboxes with predefined tags (such as PvP, survival, whitelist, geographic locations even, player slots (with multiple options, eg. 1 - 10, 10 - 20 et cetera) and popular plugin names) which appear at the top of the forum. When selected, only threads with an identical tag will be shown.

I reckon that'd be good mate.

JadElClemens
  • Minecraft: JadElClemens

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I think tags people use in front of their topics (e.g. [TOWNY][FACTIONS][WHITELIST][24/7][NO NUBSAUCE][EPIC 1337 HAXXOR HARDCOER][NO-LAG][PvP] and everything else) should be converted to actual tags that respond better to a search, and you can search by what tag a server has. I know you can do that now with the search system, but in my experience it doesn't work too well.
Posted Image

k2trf
    k2trf

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Minecraft: k2trf

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostYasashii, on 04 April 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

If you want to change server organisation I think you should adress the recent problem that is pvp.

Lately, it's been getting increasingly difficult to find non-pvp servers. It might not appear to you like that if you just read the server descriptions because often, there's no information about that. Sometimes you find out that a server is pvp-enabled when you walk out of spawn and see the message: "Now leaving safe zone. pvp enabled".

However if you asked the players if they like pvp, the opinions would be most probably divided. This is why I think dividing the servers into pvp and non-pvp would be a very useful feature. And, if you don't want to do that for whatever reason, you could at least make it obligatory to add an information in the server description about the pvp. Preferably, make a special tag that could be filtered out in the searching to automatize the process of finding non-pvp servers.

I know it might seem like a selfish wishlist but I really believe that could help out many people.

I cannot express how much I agree. I think a possible solution might be for people posting about new servers to list their information in a specific format and then a simple script could go through them so that we could search and separate between pvp/non-pvp, whitelist/non-whitelist, 24/7 / not, etc.
Posted Image All hail the mighty bone meal, who's crunchiness hath made for us the bread to feed our young, and the trees to make our shelters, and the sugarcane with which we shall make books and bookcases to store our records of the holy bone meal.