• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft Release Schedule

release schedule update bug fix maintenance version grief new content

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Minecraft Release Schedule (18 member(s) have cast votes)

I'm a Mincraft player, and this is how I feel.

1. I like updating as often as we do. Keep 'em Coming! (10 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. I like that new features are added often. (8 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

3. I don't mind the downtime that is caused by updates. (4 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. I would prefer it if there was no downtime caused by updating. (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

5. I'm getting annoyed that I have to reinstall the mods I depend on so often. (7 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

6. When I log on and see that an auto-update hapened, I turn Minecraft off. (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

7. Minecraft should adopt a GNU version numbering scheme. (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

8. I'm not a player. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

I'm a Minecraft Server Admin / Owner and this is how I feel.

1. I like updating as often as we do. Keep 'em Coming! (4 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

2. I like that new features are added often. (4 votes [11.43%])

3. I don't mind the downtime that is caused by updates. (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

4. I would prefer it if there was no downtime caused by updating. (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. I'm getting annoyed that I have to reinstall the mods I depend on so often. (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

6. My users let me know how annoyed they are when my server is down due to updates. (4 votes [11.43%])

7. I am considering closing my server because there is too much maintenance involved. (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

8. Minecraft should adopt a GNU version numbering scheme. (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

9. I'm not a server admin. (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

I am a Mod / Texture Pack Developer, and this is how I feel.

1. I am able to stay ahead of updates, so there is no downtime for my mod. (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. I am able to release a new version of my mod the day after an update. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. It takes me up to a week to release a new version of my mod. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. I'm considering not updating my mod because of the frequent updates. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. I have stopped updating my mod because it was too much work. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I spend more time updating my mod than I do developing it. (0 votes [0.00%])

7. I feel like I should be on the Mojang payroll. ;) (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Minecraft should adopt a GNU version numbering scheme. (0 votes [0.00%])

9. I'm not a Mod / Texture Pack Developer. (16 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

lANTHONYl
    lANTHONYl

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Minecraft Release Schedule

It's great how actively Mojang is developing Minecraft, but the release schedule is sporadic at best. It seems like Mojang is still on a "Beta Release Schedule" mindset where they make a new version every few weeks. The problem with this is that every few weeks when the auto-update happens, the community is faced with the dilemma... "Hey, I can't connect to my favorite server!" Server admins are forced to either have their players use an "outdated" client, or run a vanilla server until bukkit and the mods they and their players rely on are ready. Now, maybe this delay will change with the new modding API, but it doesn't change the fact that every update to Minecraft requires an update to all mods, clients and servers alike.

The topic of Software Versioning Standards is not new, or even taboo. There is a whole wikipedia page detailing it. There are many established standards that can be used as a guideline when developing software. Now, since Minecraft is following an x.y.z scheme, it would make sense to follow the standard GNU version numbering scheme which is major.minor.revision. Let's explore this a bit further.

A Major Version change would indicate a substantial rewrite of the code base. There may be similar features, but the underlying code would be mostly rewritten. Some might argue that the integration of a modding API would warrant a major version number change making it Minecraft 2.0, but I haven't reviewed the code so I can't say for certain. A single change to the code base should not warrant a new major version number however. Major versions will not be backwards compatible.

A Minor Version change would indicate feature updates or new functionality. An example would be a set of new blocks, entities, or mobs. Although the enhanced chat features of the 1.2.4 release *presumably* required a substantial rewrite of code base, it would warrant only a Minor version change because the chat feature is not directly game play. Bug fixes may be included in a Minor version change, but bug fixes alone do not warrant a Minor version change. Minor version changes should be backwards compatible, but it is not guaranteed.

A Revision Version change should be considered a Maintenance Release and should not break compatibility. These revisions should be left for bug fixes. For example, the TNT ghosting glitch (along with the rest of the bug fixes) that was fixed in 1.2.4 would be a Maintenance Release. All 1.2.z releases, for example, should be client, server, and mod compatible. A Maintenance Release should not be forced on clients, nor should it require the user to reinstall their mods. More importantly, it shouldn't force server admins and mod developers to scramble trying to get "up to date" and field the grief coming from frustrated, disenfranchised users. Maintenance Releases MUST BE COMPATIBLE with the parent Minor version!

Now, I'm sure there are going to be comments telling me that I'm an a-hole or that I'm crazy for suggesting that Mojang hold back new content. But if you have read this far, you probably agree with my p.o.v. and more importantly, you recognize that I am not suggesting development slow down. I am suggesting that since Minecraft has sold well over 5 million copies at this point, maybe they take a look at their Version Control practices and make an effort to make releases in a professional manner. Sure, make Maintenance Releases monthly... hell, as needed is appropriate for bug fixes, but don't make every release incompatible. Make your Minor revisions bi-monthly or so. The same amount of new content will be released, but in a more controlled manor. Users, mod developers, and server admins will thank you. We will have more time to focus on what we do best.

Here is a list of some links discussing this same topic:

Slow down the updates guys! Give modders and mod users a chance to keep up!

Too many updates!(close together)

1.2.5 is already out!

Too many updates

WAY to many updates!

Steady Update Schedule for Minecraft

Search the interwebs... I'm sure there are more.

Important Notes:

If this is something you have an opinion about, SHARE IT! You have no say if you don't use your voice.

Talk to other people about this. Ask your server admins how they feel. Ask the developers of your favorite mod "So do you like having to work like a dog to keep this mod updated... with no pay?"

If you find people that have an opinion about this, link them to this thread. Yes, starting new threads is good, but having a central meeting place for a topic gives unification and makes your voice louder!

Also:

Do the poll questions cover all the bases?

~~~>   hub.mineconomy.org   <~~~

Posted Image

Shameless Suggestion: Click the green up arrow if you like my post    ------>

Register or log in to remove.

Mazgula
    Mazgula

Carpenter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Minecraft: Mazgula

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

|Anthony| for president! But seriously, something's gotta give!
Rough n' Tumblin;

IncredibleMeh
  • Location: Narnia, Neverland, and Mcdonalds all at the same time.
  • Minecraft: IncredibleMeh
  • Xbox:IncredibleMeh

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

They still are on the Beta release schedule mindset.

Coding takes time! They'll release things when the damn well want to!
"You don't honestly care if your new Crystal Meta-Sword is going to clash with your Elite Boss Clogs! It's about the numbers! You want the items with the best numbers so you can use your numbers to decrease the enemy numbers until your numbers are the best in the land!" -ZeroPunctuation

Gatling_Tech
  • Minecraft: "GLaDOS".

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

and for the next trick, everyone shall then make a complete 180 and start complaining that updates aren't happening often enough!