• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Jpsheeha
    Jpsheeha

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:37 AM

After some extensive Googling and Youtubeing, I cannot locate a consistent underground tree farm guide.

If any of you know parts or all of what I'm asking, please respond with the answer!

I need to know:
- How much space vertically they need.
- Do they have to be 2 spaces from the wall? Some say they do, some say they don't.
- Should I leave space inbetween them?
- What manner should I go about planting them? I am currently doing it like this:
[]  :Bacon:  []  :Bacon:  []  :Bacon:
:GoldBar:  []  :GoldBar:  []  :GoldBar:  []
[]  :Glass:  []  :Glass:  []  :Glass:
:--+:  []  :--+:  []  :--+:  []

(White spaces being trees.)

Register or log in to remove.

Suck My Blowfish

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

What I have found to work best in the beta is this:

A room 6 tall (so you can break every block without needing to climb up) x any number wide/long (usually I do 6 wide x 15 or so long)

Tessellate the trees in this pattern (top down):
[]  :Leaves:  []
:Leaves:  :Yellow:  :Leaves:
[]  :Leaves:  []

Leaves are the saplings and yellow is lighting (see below)

Tessellate like this:
  :Leaves:   :Leaves:  :Leaves:    :Leaves:  :Yellow:  :Leaves:  
:Leaves:  :Yellow:  :Leaves:   :Leaves: :Leaves:  :Leaves:
  :Leaves:   :Leaves:   :Leaves:    :Yellow:    :Leaves:    :Leaves:
  :Yellow:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :Yellow:
:Leaves:  :Leaves:  :Yellow:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:
|
|
\/ Repeating those 5 layers ad infinitum

The yellow  :Yellow:  are lighting, I usually do it like so (side view):
:Leaves:  []  :Leaves:
:Orange:  :Glass:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :--+:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:

with the orange being dirt

And if you want, to ensure maximum wood, you can try:
[]  :Grey:  []
:Leaves:  []  :Leaves:
:Orange:  :Glass:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :--+:  :Orange:
:Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:

with the grey being cobblestone or some other material.

This is what I have found most effective. And, yes, I do end up getting back more than enough saplings to replant plus some.
Posted Image

Jpsheeha
    Jpsheeha

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:34 AM

See, my friends all build 14 x 15 x 15 with 14 being the height. They say it's best for growing, but I think I might have problems cutting it down then . . .

availn
    availn

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

Trees need a minimum of 4 spaces above the sapling to grow. Just having 4 spaces is not recommended, though, as it will take a long time for a small tree to grow.

As you can reach 7 blocks above the ground, it is best to limit the height of your trees to 8 blocks tall, 7 blocks above the sapling. You won't be able to reach the very top of the tree, but that will always be leaves, so it doesn't matter.

You can also give a tree a minimum height by putting blocks next to the sapling. The tree will only grow to a size large enough for the blocks to fit under the tree without displacing any leaves.

The previous statement does not apply with logs. Logs will always displace the leaves of a newly grown tree, so a tree can grow even to the smallest size with another tree next to it. Also, leaves and glass next to the tree will be replaced by the new tree.

The minimum light level a tree needs is 10, but it is best to have a torch next to every tree.

With all that said, this is my tree farm:

:Skeleton:  :--+:  :Skeleton:  :Spider:  :--+:  :Spider:  :Zombie:  :--+:  :SSSS:
:SSSS:  :--+:  :tnt:  ;)  :--+:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :--+:  :Leaves:
:Leaves:  :--+:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :--+:  :Leaves:  :Leaves:  :--+:  :Leaves:

The main advantage of this layout is that you can always get access to all trees without having to chop down other trees. The ridiculously dense patterns some people use are hard to navigate, and the inner trees cannot be accessed once the outer one has grown. This also means that even if a tree is not grown yet, trampling over it is dangerous, because trees have a tendency to grow when you're right above them. This pattern bypasses that danger.

triggerfin
    triggerfin

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • Minecraft: Tfin

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:06 AM

availn said:

Also, leaves and glass next to the tree will be replaced by the new tree.

The minimum light level a tree needs is 10, but it is best to have a torch next to every tree.

My latest test with glass (or torch) showed it would not be displaced.

My latest test with light showed trees would eventually grow with light level 8.
Fan Metric: Franc Time!

availn
    availn

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:09 AM

triggerfin said:

availn said:

My latest test with light showed trees would eventually grow with light level 8.

OK, I'll trust you on that :P

I haven't messed with trees and glass lately, because the last time I did, the glass walls of my farm got displaced. Strangely enough, the roof was fine. I guess it was an Alpha thing.

bipolarmike

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:25 AM

I had a tree grow on me today... was terrifying. Just walkin' along through my tree farm, doing some maintenance, when BAM! Suddenly I'm suffocating inside of a tree trunk XO

thesmurf223

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

:--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:
:soil:   :P :soil:  :Notch:  :soil: :soil:   :Logs^: :soil: :Logs^:  :soil:
:--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :soil:
:soil:  :Logs^:  :soil:   :Logs^: :soil:   :soil:   :Logs^: :soil:  :Logs^:  :soil:
:--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :--+:  :soil:  :--+:  :soil:
I just use a few rows of trees arrayed like that, the torches in the middle make a pretty good walkway and theres just enough space between trees to move around. I think i managed to fit 28 trees in a 12x15x7 room. :soil:
Hahpeh Face :D

qwertyz said:

Also, prepare to be flamed. Just a heads up.
Posted Image

triggerfin
    triggerfin

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

availn said:

triggerfin said:

availn said:

OK, I'll trust you on that :Pig:

I haven't messed with trees and glass lately, because the last time I did, the glass walls of my farm got displaced. Strangely enough, the roof was fine. I guess it was an Alpha thing.

I haven't checked these things since decay was put back in, but that shouldn't have affected those. Yes, the trees at 8 took a long time. I made a whole room at that light level and packed in the trees, but just getting one took too long to be practical. 10 or more is advisable.

When trees broke glass, it was leaves out to the side that did it. The roof of glass was safe because the height gets checked before growing, but there is was check for leaves except not putting them where a solid block was. Now they also don't go where a transparent block is. Branches may still break things-- I haven't done big trees in a long time.

Nelocanelo

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

Is there a way of growing a big branched tree, or just luck? I want one for my garden. I have a couple of them naturally generated next to it, so i think that the biome can help.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

nou
    nou

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

i planted two sampling right next to a wall. both grow to big tree with branches. so it might work if you make 8-10 hight pillar next to a sampling.

TheMerricat

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:09 PM

availn said:

triggerfin said:

availn said:

OK, I'll trust you on that :P

Glass ceilings are safe, because they form a cap over the tree forcing the canopy to form below them. But glass, torches, and doors to the side of a tree will all be destroyed if the canopy happens be generated in the same location.

TheMerricat

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Nelocanelo said:

Is there a way of growing a big branched tree, or just luck? I want one for my garden. I have a couple of them naturally generated next to it, so i think that the biome can help.

You can force a 'tall tree' by ensuring that you have an extremely high ceiling and planting the saplling next to a vertical obstruction.

For instance, outside my main base I've planted my 'haunted' forest, a densely packed farm where I have lines of three high stack of dirt blocks with a sapling on opposite sides. This prevents the sapling from forming a 'short' tree but doesn't guarantee a 'branched tree', just that it'll be tall.

triggerfin
    triggerfin

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

TheMerricat said:

Glass ceilings are safe, because they form a cap over the tree forcing the canopy to form below them. But glass, torches, and doors to the side of a tree will all be destroyed if the canopy happens be generated in the same location.
As said, this WAS the case previously, but leaves now do not displace any other blocks. I used glass, fence, and torch to limit growth during the period when leaf decay was disabled. They do still grow on the other side of nearby walls.

rik1301
    rik1301

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

I've been creating my own tree farms and can tell you from experience that you need the roof to be 7 blocks high, not 6.  Well, you can make it 6 high, but you only get 4 logs.  If you make it 7 high then you get 5 logs.  The blocks above the 5th log are just leaves anyway which will decay naturally.

um3k said:

And then reality hits, and you realize that all you've really accomplished was moving some bits around on a hard drive.

rik1301
    rik1301

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Jpsheeha said:

After some extensive Googling and Youtubeing, I cannot locate a consistent underground tree farm guide.

If any of you know parts or all of what I'm asking, please respond with the answer!

I need to know:
- Do they have to be 2 spaces from the wall? Some say they do, some say they don't.
- What manner should I go about planting them? I am currently doing it like this:
[]  :)  []  :D  []  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone:  []  :cobblestone:  []  :cobblestone:  []
[]  :cobblestone:  []  :cobblestone:  []  :cobblestone:
:cobblestone:  []  :cobblestone:  []  :cobblestone:  []

That pattern won't work.  I tried it myself and you'll only get SOME saplings to grow.  When those tree grows, the canopy of the lower leaves overhangs the adjacent saplings which stops them from growing.  I have tried torches in between them and given them 7-8 full days and they simply refuse to grow.  I tried putting them 2 spaces apart instead of 1 and didn't have much success there either.  My current farm has 3 spaces between the saplings and now they grow perfectly.  :cobblestone:

um3k said:

And then reality hits, and you realize that all you've really accomplished was moving some bits around on a hard drive.

sismk
    sismk

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

cool! i kinda dont get it though  :(
Posted Image

rik1301
    rik1301

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

sismk said:

cool! i kinda dont get it though  :iapprove:

?

Which part do you not understand? :/

um3k said:

TheMerricat

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

rik1301 said:

Jpsheeha said:

I need to know:
[]  :Pig:  []  :)  []  :(
[]  :--+:  []  :--+:  []  :--+:

That pattern won't work.  I tried it myself and you'll only get SOME saplings to grow.  When those tree grows, the canopy of the lower leaves overhangs the adjacent saplings which stops them from growing.  I have tried torches in between them and given them 7-8 full days and they simply refuse to grow.  I tried putting them 2 spaces apart instead of 1 and didn't have much success there either.  My current farm has 3 spaces between the saplings and now they grow perfectly.  :)
Neither leaves or logs above a sapling block tree growth. I have a row based farm with the saplings placed in rows two blocks deep and every single one will grow.  What will happen though is the saplings next to trees that have already grown can take a while to trigger themselves as the logs next to force them to grow 'tall' trees vs short ones.

rik1301
    rik1301

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

TheMerricat said:

rik1301 said:

Jpsheeha said:

I need to know:
[]  :Notch:  []  :--+:  []  :--+:
[]  :--+:  []  :--+:  []  :--+:

That pattern won't work.  I tried it myself and you'll only get SOME saplings to grow.  When those tree grows, the canopy of the lower leaves overhangs the adjacent saplings which stops them from growing.  I have tried torches in between them and given them 7-8 full days and they simply refuse to grow.  I tried putting them 2 spaces apart instead of 1 and didn't have much success there either.  My current farm has 3 spaces between the saplings and now they grow perfectly.  :)
Neither leaves or logs above a sapling block tree growth. I have a row based farm with the saplings placed in rows two blocks deep and every single one will grow.  What will happen though is the saplings next to trees that have already grown can take a while to trigger themselves as the logs next to force them to grow 'tall' trees vs short ones.

Do a schematic of your layout pls.  I have gone approx 15 full days with them 2 apart and the saplings do not grow if the canopy from a grown tree adjacent to it is in the space immediately above the sapling.  Do you plant your saplings at ground level or above it?

um3k said: