• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[64x / 1.7.4] Broken Anachronism v14 - 1.7 blocks and Plant Overhaul (Feb 13)

steampunk-apocalyptic steampunk apocalyptic surreal 64x broken anachronism broken anachronism 1.7.4 realistic realism

• Please log in to reply
2340 replies to this topic

Poll: Quartz (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Should i make all the quartz green?

1. Yes, it would look better if it was of uniform color (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. No, it's better the way it is now (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. It would be better if it were a uniform color, but not green (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

4. It's best to have different colors for each, but it needs to be redone (4 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Glimmar
    Glimmar

Glowstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3830 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

View Post13thMurder, on 15 January 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

this is the last one i think...
Posted Image

and here's a summary of all of them together tiled.

Posted Image

im thinking i may change the frame a bit... which isn't hard to do considering how i did them.

the next test release is very close! it might even happen today if i'm not lazy. all i need to do still is redo the redstone pipes (i don't like their current state at all) and do ladders.
Best and most imaginative bookcase arrangement I've seen, 13th. Awesome work!

Also giving your current pack a whirl and very impressed with your animations and various details, so I just wanted to let you know, to give you encouragement, especially after reading that you're considering reworking so many of your textures. Whatever you do, don't change those animated blocks, they're amazingly inventive.

I have to say, I also really like what you done with the web block (is that what it's called? Can't be bothered to check it's real name. Lol! You'd think after 3 years I'd know their names off by heart, but I don't!!). In making it look like hanging netting it has so many alternative uses...wish I'd thought of it! :D  Hope you'll ctm it for variety, as it would be excellent for airships and such.

Great work, mate.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts
  • Minecraft: 13thMurder

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostGlimmar, on 27 January 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

Best and most imaginative bookcase arrangement I've seen, 13th. Awesome work!

Also giving your current pack a whirl and very impressed with your animations and various details, so I just wanted to let you know, to give you encouragement, especially after reading that you're considering reworking so many of your textures. Whatever you do, don't change those animated blocks, they're amazingly inventive.

I have to say, I also really like what you done with the web block (is that what it's called? Can't be bothered to check it's real name. Lol! You'd think after 3 years I'd know their names off by heart, but I don't!!). In making it look like hanging netting it has so many alternative uses...wish I'd thought of it! Posted Image  Hope you'll ctm it for variety, as it would be excellent for airships and such.

Great work, mate.

no worries, everything animated is here to stay (except maybe glowstone and water... not so happy with those 2, seeing as the new grass ive been working on is nearly the same color as my water)

the web block was sort of a last minute idea... i wasn't sure if i was even going to have spiders in my pack or not, or if i would turn spiders into something else, so i made something quick and ambiguous. i was thinking of trying to learn classic ctm actually, and i did actually think of making larger web sheets into rope netting...

most everything getting replaced just needs to go due to the fact that i had no idea what i was doing at the time that i made them, and i have learned a whole lot since.

Posted Image

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

ive completely overhauled grass and dirt.

have a look...

tons of varients!
new grass with patches of discolored/dead grass, giving it that unhealthy, but still clinging to life look that all post-apocalyptic plants need! patches of toxic fungi, because mushrooms will thrive anywhere. rusty things, including the obligatory gear because it's a steampunk themed pack! (lets say it's a piece of a long forgotten machine...)

new dirt with all manner of junk mixed in!

new side grass with randomized strands and roots that tile perfectly no matter what order they appear in!

Posted Image
(hopefully this huge amount of varients helps smash out any tiling errors)

before and after pictures to compare it with the old:

old:
Posted Image
new:
Posted Image

old:
Posted Image
new:
Posted Image

note: not all variants are shown in those images, some are quite rare. weights still need editing.

so, is the new better than the old?

Posted Image

DuffmanX18

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

New is much better.  The tiling in the old one was very apparent, and in the new one I can't see it at all.  Also, the miscellaneous debris in the dirt is a nice touch.

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostDuffmanX18, on 29 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

New is much better.  The tiling in the old one was very apparent, and in the new one I can't see it at all.  Also, the miscellaneous debris in the dirt is a nice touch.

sand, gravel, and anything else that comes in large areas and is random will also include random debris. i also have plans to make some more 3D debris by adding a few rare random variants to mix in with tall grass and flowers that are bits of metal.

Posted Image

ksheep
    ksheep

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • Minecraft: ksheep

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

View Post13thMurder, on 27 January 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

i think even with the new texture system people will still need a hd patcher to run my pack because it's 64x. ive not heard anything about the new system fixing the glitches caused by HD packs on vanilla, only that it allows for animation in vanilla.

I think Mojang has said they are adding native HD support with 1.5, along with the animations. However, as far as I know, CTM is not being included, and there may be some hiccoughs along the transition. I'm pretty sure that the new setup will have a separate texture for each block and item in the textures folder, instead of the Terrain and Items sheet, and while they do have an "unstitcher" available (and MCPatcher is adding their own improved version which takes care of animation preferences), it'll mean keeping track of several dozen more individual files. On the plus side, this will allow people to mix and match resolutions of items and textures.

Anyway, I have to say I really like what you've done with the grass and dirt. Fits the theme very well, and I can't wait to try it out. Here's hoping 1.5 takes its time coming out so as to limit stress on your end!
Posted Image

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

View Postksheep, on 31 January 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

I think Mojang has said they are adding native HD support with 1.5, along with the animations. However, as far as I know, CTM is not being included, and there may be some hiccoughs along the transition. I'm pretty sure that the new setup will have a separate texture for each block and item in the textures folder, instead of the Terrain and Items sheet, and while they do have an "unstitcher" available (and MCPatcher is adding their own improved version which takes care of animation preferences), it'll mean keeping track of several dozen more individual files. On the plus side, this will allow people to mix and match resolutions of items and textures.

Anyway, I have to say I really like what you've done with the grass and dirt. Fits the theme very well, and I can't wait to try it out. Here's hoping 1.5 takes its time coming out so as to limit stress on your end!

i don't think the new format will be a huge problem for me. as you mentioned, there is of course the unstitcher. ill just wait for the mcpatcher version.

anyway, this fits my texturing method better anyway. i actually have every texture ive made saved as individual files, rather than just drawing directly on the terrain.png as many do, so im not too worried about the new format.

Posted Image

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

i redid brick, now with random ctm support.

Posted Image

is it much improved?

Posted Image

DuffmanX18

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Yep.  Not as great a noticeable pattern in the new one.

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostDuffmanX18, on 03 February 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Yep.  Not as great a noticeable pattern in the new one.

i need to mess with the weights a bit, and mess up the mortar.

Posted Image

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

i redid my gravel, which was possibly one of the worst textures in the history of minecraft:

Posted Image

so i basically just drew and shaded the pebbles individually...
tiled x4:
Posted Image

how is it? an improvement, i hope.

Posted Image

ksheep
    ksheep

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

View Post13thMurder, on 05 February 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

i redid my gravel, which was possibly one of the worst textures in the history of minecraft:

<SNIP>

how is it? an improvement, i hope.

Looks better than the old, but I am noticing some tiling, as well as a line along the edge of the tiles (most noticeable running diagonal on the far left of the comparison pic, looks like 1 block from the edge of the picture).
Posted Image

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

i have improved my planks using the repeat method ctm.

what thinks you?

Posted Image

actual 8x8 tiles used for the ctm:
Posted Image

Posted Image

ksheep
    ksheep

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

Quite nice! I approve. No obvious tiling, no lines, seams, or other artifacts to speak of, very clean look. How does it looks on wooden stairs and/or fences, and which wood are you planing on using this for? Also, are you planing on reusing this texture with adjusted colors for the other woods, or will you make totally different textures for them?
Posted Image

DuffmanX18

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Looks like actual wood planks.  Thumbs up. :)

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postksheep, on 06 February 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

Quite nice! I approve. No obvious tiling, no lines, seams, or other artifacts to speak of, very clean look. How does it looks on wooden stairs and/or fences, and which wood are you planing on using this for? Also, are you planing on reusing this texture with adjusted colors for the other woods, or will you make totally different textures for them?

well, there wouldn't be any tiling errors because it's one image that fits onto 64 blocks. this image is what tiles, rather than having individual tiles.

these will be oak planks most likely. maybe another type. but i do plan to redo my oak trees now that i know how to use metadata properly and can change their leaves so that birch can remain trees of ridiculous fortitude, but won't require oak to share the same oddness, which has been a huge problem in my pack.

once i redo oak trees, i will be tinting the planks to match the color they end up. i want to go with a deeper redder brown, a bit closer to the color of the old planks, but a bit lighter.

and no worries, i won't be reusing the same texture for all of my planks. they all need to be redone, but each will have its own texture. all will use ctm. im thinking i might use a different method for each, however.

random for birch, which i am thinking of making into a light colored (painted) victorian siding type thing.

jungle wood might be something fancy and beveled, and perhaps for spruce... diagonal planks of varied colors.

Posted Image

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

redid spruce planks. i wanted some multicolored diagonal ones... how did i do?

i gotta say, sorting all the different patters, and masking all this off was insanely difficult, but... how is it? i could always tweak the colors a bit.

6x6 repeat pattern:
Posted Image

ingame:
Posted Image

and here's the sun i did and the new sky color. i wanted to go with an overcast look with this pack.
Posted Image

edit:

recolored and reshaded the new planks:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Vojife
    Vojife

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • Minecraft: Vojife

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

All these new planks are awesome! They look like actual planks.
But I can see you are taking a kind of a cleaner look, which is a bit of a shame, as originally it was gonna be very dirty and stuff.
But even though it's cleaner, it still is unusual and I do like the redone textures more. =)
Great job!

You want a signature? Fine!

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostVojife, on 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

All these new planks are awesome! They look like actual planks.
But I can see you are taking a kind of a cleaner look, which is a bit of a shame, as originally it was gonna be very dirty and stuff.
But even though it's cleaner, it still is unusual and I do like the redone textures more. =)
Great job!

odeergod, you're right. WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?

this shall be rectified immediately.

Posted Image

13thMurder
    13thMurder

Bloody Murderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 3677 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

anyway, here's an idea i had for... bark. does it look like bark, or should i start over?

Posted Image

don't worry, this isn't going to be my first "normal" texture. i just want a good bark base, then i can add random ctm nails, and screws and such.

Posted Image