• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

NEVER Use Microsoft Paint to make Texture Packs!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

dwsremoved
    dwsremoved

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1153 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

The amount of times I have seen people complaining that their texture pack isn't working because there is no transparency is ridiculous.

Microsoft Paint is rubbish and cheap. The reason that it doesn't work is because it can't handle transparency, it hasn't been changed since it was first created.

Like I said it can not handle transparency so it fills all the gaps in white.

To make a texture pack you need to use image editing software that works properly such as Paint.NET or Gimp.

Both of these are free and easy to use.

If you have money and are serious about texturing buy Photoshop, or Adobe Fireworks as these are professional  software.

If I can only stop one person from complaining that their texture pack doesn't work I will be happy.

Just DO NOT use Microsoft Paint!

Register or log in to remove.

LiamR
    LiamR

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Minecraft: liamribena

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Diamonds for you :Diamond:
Posted Image

Terethien
  • Minecraft: Terethien

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

So... can I use paint?

Jokes :P But seriously, I doubt this is going to stop anyone from making this mistake. I swear I've told 4-5 people in the last 24 hours that they can't use paint, and yet no one seems to listen
Posted Image

RedXuchilbara

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

MS paint for Windows 7  has some transparencies  and you can save in .png format.

but I would never use it unless I had no other choice.  Posted Image

Alvoria
    Alvoria

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4021 posts
  • Minecraft: Alvoria

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Will a mod please sticky this. Honestly, it should go without saying but DWSkansa is right, there are WAY too many people asking why their stuff doesn't work when they use Paint.

Yes. Sticky. Now. If not sooner. Please.

Posted Image

Terethien
  • Minecraft: Terethien

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

View PostPsychoSupreme, on 01 April 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Will a mod please sticky this. Honestly, it should go without saying but DWSkansa is right, there are WAY too many people asking why their stuff doesn't work when they use Paint.

Yes. Sticky. Now. If not sooner. Please.

I second this. And then third it. Please, please sticky this so people have the opportunity to read this before it gets buried in threads asking why all their torches have white around them
Posted Image

peytonisgreat
  • Minecraft: peytonigreat

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I acctually have used Paint for packs, then put the transparency in with GIMP.

Posted Image

So many old friends are gone.

Zane_Rainebow
  • Minecraft: Rainebow

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Paint's only really good for simple edits for opaque blocks. I think that sometimes it's easier to cut/copy/paste/drag than GIMP, but otherwise, why not use GIMP?
Posted Image

Sven10
    Sven10

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Minecraft: Sven10

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostZane_Rainebow, on 01 April 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

Paint's only really good for simple edits for opaque blocks. I think that sometimes it's easier to cut/copy/paste/drag than GIMP, but otherwise, why not use GIMP?

Because the people using Paint often have no knowledge at all at what they're doing, hence why they use paint.

Noone in their right mind would even consider using paint.
It's like the Comic Sans of Image editing programs.
Posted Image

Alvoria
    Alvoria

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4021 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

View PostSven10, on 01 April 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Noone in their right mind would even consider using paint.
It's like the Comic Sans of Image editing programs.
Blasphemy!

As a designer myself I know full well that Comic Sans has its place and purpose, and can be used by professionals. It's just way over used, and almost always used incorrectly.

MS Paint, on the other hand, serves no purpose and should never be used. By anyone. For anything. Ever.

(And no, I don't care that you can use it, you still shouldn't.)

Posted Image

insomniac_lemon
  • Minecraft: insomniac_lemon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostXuchilbara, on 01 April 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

MS paint for Windows 7  has some transparencies  and you can save in .png format.

but I would never use it unless I had no other choice.  Posted Image

Just because you can save a .PNG doesn't mean it will have transparency- in fact, just tested it with Win7 pro 64-bit, and the image was saved with a white box around it. "Properties" allows you to change size, and turning a picture to be black and white, and that's it. .PNG is only an option due to horrible compression the .JPG file format has creating artifacts, noise (and color noise) you see in low res photos in areas that should be a smooth transition or solid fill. All of the things you can escape by using the .PNG format which also has transparency.

Also: if you see an animated .JPG or .PNG, it's a lie. The extension has just been changed by someone (from .GIF), but most software just reads the MIME stuff to find out what type of file it really is, no matter what the extension is, it will handle it how it should, just for the info Posted Image

Posted Image

lblackburn

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

This is good to know. Although I haven't tried to create a custom texture pack for minecraft yet, I would have probably made the mistake of using MS Paint.

Alvoria
    Alvoria

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4021 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 02 April 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

Also: if you see an animated .JPG or .PNG, it's a lie. The extension has just been changed by someone (from .GIF), but most software just reads the MIME stuff to find out what type of file it really is, no matter what the extension is, it will handle it how it should, just for the info Posted Image
You're partially correct, but mostly incorrect. There is an animated .png format. It's not widely used, but it does exist.

You're right about most programs just reading MINE though. As an easy-to-test bit of proof, there's a freeware program called Imagine (Image Animation Viewer) that displays animated images of several types, and displays its true type at the bottom. Opening an animated .png that I created shows it as Portable Network Graphics, where as an animated .gif shows Graphics Interchange Format. This displays even if I change the file extensions of each to the other.

While there are a TON of technical differences between the two formats, one important one for end users is that the animated .png supports the same partial transparency that the .png format itself supports. On the other hand .gif uses only 'black and white' transparency; the same sort of "it is or it isn't" used by most Minecraft textures.

And, btw, no, Minecraft does NOT support the animated .png format. This is good as using that format for things that don't need it would really, REALLY, jack up the memory usage. Posted Image

But yea, animated .jpg files are a load of bunk. Posted Image

Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostPsychoSupreme, on 02 April 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

You're partially correct, but mostly incorrect. There is an animated .png format. It's not widely used, but it does exist.

Well, I think that's a bit different, those would (or should)  have the extension of .APNG as standard .PNG does not support animation (and I would imagine the MIME type would be different from a standard .PNG),

however, I think .MNG is a more widely supported filetype compared to .APNG for an animated equivalent of .PNGs

View PostPsychoSupreme, on 02 April 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

On the other hand .gif uses only 'black and white' transparency;

Just call this 'full transparency'.

Posted Image

Alvoria
    Alvoria

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4021 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 02 April 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Well, I think that's a bit different, those would (or should)  have the extension of .APNG as standard .PNG does not support animation (and I would imagine the MIME type would be different from a standard .PNG),
No, the extension is just .png

As far as how it works, think of it as an extension of the standard format. Anything that can read standard .png images (including Minecraft) will still see the first frame of the animation and display it normally. There's just more data in the APNG that stores the animation for compatible programs to display.

View Postinsomniac_lemon, on 02 April 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

however, I think .MNG is a more widely supported filetype compared to .APNG for an animated equivalent of .PNGs
I'd say it's running about even. I've honestly used APNG more than MNG, though I think most everything I have can use both.

Boy we're really far off topic at this point. Oops. Guess there goes the potential to get this thread stickied. Posted Image

Posted Image

insomniac_lemon

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I suppose that's my fault. It started as a relevant response about MS paint, but got de-railed :/

But I doubt this would thread would get stickied anyways, makes more sense for Steelfeathers to just add it to her 'All-Inclusive Guide to Texturing'.

And as Beltir told me pinned topics take up space, so the more pinned topics, the less threads that will appear on the first page.

On topic again: another image editor you can use JFF is Autodesk Sketchbook. Has educational version unlike scumbag Adobe. Not intended for texture packs, but works. BE WARNED IF YOU ATTEMPT! Displays in Autodesk Sketchbook with a smooth sampling mode. But will look normal when saved, or when using the zoom or move tool. But a little heavy on AA if you ask me. But, I guess if you're bad at it, you'd want that.

Posted Image

Litaestrasza

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

I had this issue when I was doing a crossover of several texture packs. Not to mention the resizing looked terrible. Found this thread on google and now my game is gorgeous. I'd forgotten about Paint.net. Cake for you all! :)

*signs sticky petition, adding little hearts above the i's*
*writes post in Comic Sans*

GuapoGato
  • Minecraft: YoSoyGato

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

THE POST. STICKY NOW.
Posted Image
It's me! N1nj4Chris!

beizend0rk

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Haters. Honestly, if I was on windows XP I would probably use MS Paint. I guess I just have some fond memories there from pixel editing of the past. Like peytonisgreat said earlier... you can add transparency later.

It's definitely great for skin editing. Might not be the best for full on texture pack projects.

Fire_Fist
  • Minecraft: Fire_Fist

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

Oh my god please sticky this crap. seriously.
Posted Image