Latest News Article

How to Build a GIANT Tree?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

TheTank1988
  • Minecraft: TheTank1988

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hey everyone!

So I'm working on this city on a vanilla SMP server and I'm giving it a Germanic/Nordic forest theme. For the centerpiece I want to build a GIANT tree, at the scale of a Yggdrasil. The city is 250 x 250, and I'm planning on having this tree so massive that people can see its branches looming overhead from anywhere in the city.

I consider myself a good builder but this is something I've never attempted, even in Creative. Has anyone done this before and have suggestions on how to get started? Are there guidelines on how a realistic tree is shaped? Any mathematical formula I can follow for branch distribution, for example? Is there maybe a program that can genorate a tree for me to copy?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Register or log in to remove.

aahrg
    aahrg

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Minecraft: aahrg

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

I know that there are some mods that make huge trees, which you could MCEDIT over from a singleplayer world.
there are also some programs that can take a 3D model and turn it into voxel format, and you can build from there

Dalganoth said:

Your momma's so fat when she burns she drops 64 stacks of cooked pork chops

pwntpants
  • Minecraft: TheTurbanat0r00

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

View Postaahrg, on 31 March 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

I know that there are some mods that make huge trees, which you could MCEDIT over from a singleplayer world.
there are also some programs that can take a 3D model and turn it into voxel format, and you can build from there
Well he said vanilla SMP server. I don't think he'll be doing it in any cheaty ways like MCEdit.

But, you may need to just play around with it on a creative world and see what works. Or look at some of those "big builds" by people like FyreUK where there's big trees, maybe it'll give you some ideas.
Posted Image

William
    William

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1082 posts
  • Minecraft: Willikesart

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Start with something small. And then move up in sizes. Build a very basic tree at first, and then slowly develop it. Remember, Leaves grow on branches not just a big clump ontop of the tree, and do leaves last, build a basic frame of wood before you add any leaves. If you do a big tree, do a bright colored wool frame, and big it around that. ;) Goodluck!

-Will

Posted Image

Posted Image

Circle_of_Owls

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:52 AM

Although I've never done anything on the scale of Yggdrasil, I've been happy with the results I've had. Basically I've placed dirt blocks with saplings at different levels going up the main tree trunk; once the trees have grown I've removed the dirt and done some minor shaping. I've built the primary branches coming horizontally out from the main trunk manually at various heights then grown normal trees in the branches with dirt and saplings again to fill them in. I've found that if you place the dirt block about two blocks below the primary branches that you built the tree leaves will grow perfectly around it. You can go back and remove the dirt blocks and the trunks with just the leaves remaining around your manually placed primary branches. Done this way the trees seem to come out much less artificial looking than other methods that I've tried.

Posted Image