• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Tutorial] How to install mods without Winrar/7-zip(and open rar files)

mod tutorial no winrar withou

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

exy6
    exy6

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Minecraft: xcvbnhy6

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

How To install mods WITHOUT  Winrar or 7-zip!

This tutorial is for pepole who for some reason cant use winrar or 7-zip. This way might take a bit longer specialy for big mods. If your mod is a "rar" file then start on this tutorial down below if not then skip to the
Installing the Mods Part Posted Image

(Good for non-computer admins)

Before doing any of these tutorials you will want to be able to see file extensions like ".jar" and ".zip"

if you cant see them, then change your folder options (if you dont know how just google it or something)

Opening "rar" files.

Rar files are opened with winrar but there is another way to do this, your user does not even have to be an admin Posted Image . So to do this you will want to click to the link below

http://tinyurl.com/bnyytsd

Extract the zip file by right clicking and selecting the "Extract all" go through the wizard and then you should have a folder with 3 files one of them should be named sUnrar.exe . Now you want to open the rar file with sUnrar.exe when done you will have a folder with all the files in that rar file. Now lets go to the next tutorial.

Installing the mods/mod

If your mod is in a "zip" file the extract it by right clicking and selecting the option "Extract all"

then you should have a folder named the same.

Now if you are on win 7 or vista then click the Start Menu button in the bottom left corner of your screen, and in the search box type in "%appdata%" with no "" and hit enter it will open a folder and in that folder

there will be a folder named .minecraft and you want to open it. But if on Win XP then you click the start button and the click "run..." and then type in there "%appdata%" and then it should open a folder, and in that folder there should be a folder named .minecraft and you will want to open it.

In .minecraft

there will be a folder named "bin" open that and in there there will be a file named "minecraft.jar"

Opening minecraft.jar

now to open it rename minecraft.jar to minecraft.zip  and open it(if a warning comes up hit yes).

Delete a folder named meta_inf and drag your mod files to it (your mod files may not be in a "zip" folder)

when done then rename minecraft.zip to minecraft.jar and open minecraft and your mods should be there!!!!

Thanks for reading please leave a reply if something is wrong and hopefully it helped!

Register or log in to remove.

GdpDaBomb01
  • Minecraft: gdpdabomb

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for the detailed description! Now I can have fun with mods! Do you have any certain mods you like?
Posted Image

MoBrownie
  • Minecraft: Angel_and_Demon

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

Thanks!I got Dragon ounts and im riding dem dragons like a bowss XDYOU RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=86929][/url]Posted Image

Nonsensicles
  • Minecraft: CroNonsensicles

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Tried this method out, but for some reason, my minecraft's jar file is labeled 'minecraft', and adding '.zip' to the end of it won't change anything. Does anyone know why this is?

500 Internal Server Error
  • Minecraft: zhuowei

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

View PostNonsensicles, on 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Tried this method out, but for some reason, my minecraft's jar file is labeled 'minecraft', and adding '.zip' to the end of it won't change anything. Does anyone know why this is?
Tools/Folder Options/View/Hide extensions for known file types - remove the checkmark - OK

IrishCalahan

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

I wish there was just an in-game installer made by the developers.

Posted Image

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation.

blockithoops

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostIrishCalahan, on 13 April 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

I wish there was just an in-game installer made by the developers.
that should be coming with the mod api in minecraft 1.3
Posted Image
Be sure to check out my texture pack: Easy Ores!

My__IsShiny

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Oh god! After i changed it to minecraft.zip it wouldn't change to minecraft.jar after i renamed it! help, please!
"AAAAAAAAAAH! AAAAAaaaaAAAAaaAAAAAH!" - Armin Arlert, 850
(I have a deviantart right here, if you want to see some of my art.)

kmancool
    kmancool

Carpenter

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

I got everything partially good and I opened the minecraft.zip but now i cant drag the files from my mod to the minecraft compressed zip folder. It's as if the zip is locked or something.

exy6
    exy6

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Uhmm guys i wasnt able to answer your questions couse i wasnt connected to the internet all summer and i am going to be after probaly 3-4 weeks so.... Hopefully someone else will help you ;P

View Postkmancool, on 09 October 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

I got everything partially good and I opened the minecraft.zip but now i cant drag the files from my mod to the minecraft compressed zip folder. It's as if the zip is locked or something.
yes you need to extract the mod files to a normal folder and then drag it into the minecraft.zip folder and then rename it to minecraft.jar hopefully your problems are solved now but if this is not enough, i dont know whats wrong :/

View Postexy6, on 28 March 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

How To install mods WITHOUT  Winrar or 7-zip!

This tutorial is for pepole who for some reason cant use winrar or 7-zip. This way might take a bit longer specialy for big mods. If your mod is a "rar" file then start on this tutorial down below if not then skip to the
Installing the Mods Part Posted Image

(Good for non-computer admins)

Before doing any of these tutorials you will want to be able to see file extensions like ".jar" and ".zip"

if you cant see them, then change your folder options (if you dont know how just google it or something)

Opening "rar" files.

Rar files are opened with winrar but there is another way to do this, your user does not even have to be an admin Posted Image . So to do this you will want to click to the link below

http://tinyurl.com/bnyytsd

Extract the zip file by right clicking and selecting the "Extract all" go through the wizard and then you should have a folder with 3 files one of them should be named sUnrar.exe . Now you want to open the rar file with sUnrar.exe when done you will have a folder with all the files in that rar file. Now lets go to the next tutorial.

Installing the mods/mod

If your mod is in a "zip" file the extract it by right clicking and selecting the option "Extract all"

then you should have a folder named the same.

Now if you are on win 7 or vista then click the Start Menu button in the bottom left corner of your screen, and in the search box type in "%appdata%" with no "" and hit enter it will open a folder and in that folder

there will be a folder named .minecraft and you want to open it. But if on Win XP then you click the start button and the click "run..." and then type in there "%appdata%" and then it should open a folder, and in that folder there should be a folder named .minecraft and you will want to open it.

In .minecraft

there will be a folder named "bin" open that and in there there will be a file named "minecraft.jar"

Opening minecraft.jar

now to open it rename minecraft.jar to minecraft.zip  and open it(if a warning comes up hit yes).

Delete a folder named meta_inf and drag your mod files to it (your mod files may not be in a "zip" folder)

when done then rename minecraft.zip to minecraft.jar and open minecraft and your mods should be there!!!!

Thanks for reading please leave a reply if something is wrong and hopefully it helped!

Good mods :  all of Risugamis stuff the link is right here
http://www.minecraft...minary-updates/

View PostNonsensicles, on 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

you need to change some folder options, so that known file extensions wont be hidden. sorry for taking so long to answer, i wanst connected to the internetz...   Posted Image

exy6
    exy6

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

uhmm i wanted to delete this but i couldnt figure out how ;P so...

View Postblockithoops, on 15 April 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

that should be coming with the mod api in minecraft 1.3
Hey! bro nice mod you have there , totaly going to install. Uh maybe you dont want this but i was thinking of asking for a shout out for this page on your mod page.....Posted Image  . Just asking., if you dont like the idea then just say NO . Im okay with it .

Deathmlizer

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

really useful ty :D

Deathmlizer

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hmm my minecraft seems to be stuck on loading is this normal?

Deathmlizer

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Nvm i forgot to convert it back to jar :3 sorry for spam it annoys some people