Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[IDEA]In-game News Scroll/Twitter feed as mod

newspaper mod idea paper

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

King Korihor

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

This is sort of a nebulous idea that I would like to have refined by members of the Minecraft community.  I think I have the skills necessary to pull this one off too, so I'm not really asking for help in writing the mod, but rather simply helping me to refine the idea.

I'll be honest that I got the idea indirectly from looking at a pretty interesting website I just saw: http://dailyminecraft.net/

My kids were looking over my shoulder as I was looking at the graphic and asking about the dog (aka wolf) holding the newspaper in its mouth.  I started to think:  Could I put a newspaper into Minecraft itself?

What I'm thinking of doing is setting some way to bring "news", mainly headlines or something like that, directly into the game itself.  Perhaps other ways of getting that to happen could be put together, but I think at the moment the best thing to do considering the limitations of Minecraft itself would be to bring a Twitter feed into the game.

Now the question is how to pull that off.  I think I got a plan for that too:  Bring in the dogs!

Either have a new "mob" in the form of a dog or simply add a new behavior to some existing dogs that would chase you down wherever you might be and drop a "scroll" off at your feet when a tweet comes to whatever channel or account you are following.  Since Twitter tweets have character limitations, that scroll wouldn't need to show too many characters, and you could pick it up and read it in a fashion like maps are currently read.  You could take your time reading the individual messages or throw them into your favorite lava incinerator as you see fit.  They could even be stored in chests if you wanted to "archive" the tweets you receive in-game, but likely you would simply throw them away.

For a very advanced version of this mod, you could even send tweets in-game, using an interface similar to how sign text is written (or perhaps something more appropriate for a tweet).  If anything, it would also give player to player communication for people who are not necessarily even on the same server and would only need an ordinary internet connection.

Is this something that people would even want to put into the game?  I know that it could get annoying if you had a pack of dogs dropping off messages every second, but somehow I don't think it would be that bad.  The worst situation I could imagine is if you are in the middle of a heated battle fighting mobs (or taking on the End Dragon) and these dogs would come to you with a message that you would simply ignore until you are done.

I also see no reason why this couldn't also be put into an SMP server, where it might be cute to see somebody keep getting dogs head to them.... or a whole pack heading to all of the players on the server at once.

Yes, it could be more mundane and simply be put into the talk channel in the game, but I think getting the messages as something special and different might even be sort of exciting.  Regardless, does anybody think this idea might have merit?
Posted Image
Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2

Register or log in to remove.

cyclops
    cyclops

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Wow this sounds brilliant I love it, however I think a similar mod exists so you might want to buddy up and share ideas (I think it's called social miner , but there's another one so i'll be searching for that). Unforunately twitter doesn't work here for me so I won't be able to enjoy this feature, perhaps if the mod is sufficently popular you can setup a news website and instead of feeding stuff via twitter you have a team (or just you) go through news around minecraft and keep up-to-date then write it all down and send that info to player's in-game.

Also how will this work in multiplayer, since the doggy thing means a new entity which measn it won't function, nor could you store the scrolls... Perhaps in multiplayer you can receive it automaticly and read it(you'll have to find a way around having this happen during combat) then if you close it you can press 'esc' and go through your archive by clicking a new gui button in the pause menu titled'News archive' . This way the server won't have to be specialy done so you can still get news, just with less features.

This would be a pain to code though. You'd need to make sure it's not a constant check(to check if new news/tweets are out) but every minute or so should keep performance impact minimal, also there is the issue of internet connection varying among users.

This idea does indeed have merit, I suggest you buddy up with another social mod and share your ideas and skills to make it happen Posted Image

Edit: Can't find the other mod, but give 'social miner' a try Posted Image

Edit2: I have an idea to get around the whole in-game interuption thing, you need to go to the pause menu and there will be a notification of new messages you can then manually select individual messages to be received by you, or 'receive all' this way your game time isn't interuppted since you choose when it comes.

Riose
    Riose

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

I always wanted the twitter feed in Minecraft, I'm not even a Twitter member but I like checking news on Jeb, Jon and now Bukkit members.
Posted Image

King Korihor

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

View Postcyclops, on 28 March 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Wow this sounds brilliant I love it, however I think a similar mod exists so you might want to buddy up and share ideas (I think it's called social miner , but there's another one so i'll be searching for that). Unforunately twitter doesn't work here for me so I won't be able to enjoy this feature, perhaps if the mod is sufficently popular you can setup a news website and instead of feeding stuff via twitter you have a team (or just you) go through news around minecraft and keep up-to-date then write it all down and send that info to player's in-game.

You could also set up an RSS feed from a popular news website (most major media outlets like the BBC, CNN, Reuters, etc. all do this).  The problem with RSS feeds is that they can be somewhat lengthy in terms of the content they can deliver.  Not overly so because it is only text data, but it might be overkill for something like Minecraft.  By lengthy I'm talking about 1000+ words.  I think you can get headlines filtered out though, so that might be a possibility of just headlines or a lead paragraph.

Part of what I'm suggesting is to have the "news of the world" be a part of the game itself rather than a completely separate interface, although I can appreciate how players might want to simply have the messages come to you by pressing a function key instead (like pressing the F3 key to see debug data... only instead something like F8 to see the news feed).

There is the potential to use the options menu to also "pause" and then "resume" the feed if you wanted it in game... or perhaps making the arrival of the "dogs" something optional.  Several possibilities exist for this concept in general and I don't mind making it configurable for players to suit their particular playing style.

BTW, I did take a look a Social Miner.  It does give the ability for player to player communication even if you aren't on the same server, but instead hooks into Facebook and does some other interesting things.  I'm not competing against that mod, but it is something to at least compare or even think of other things that mod doesn't do.
Posted Image
Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2

cyclops
    cyclops

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

There is another mod I vaguely remember that uses twitter feed and allows you to tweet in minecraft. Searching now.
Edit:
Found it , it's called 'Twinecraft'
Description : 'Twitter client for Minecraft. Mine, tweet and craft at the same time. New tweets from your timeline appear in the chat area, pressing F10 lets you send a tweet, reply and show your mentions and other timeline'
Link: http://www.satscape....me/?q=minecraft
It hasn't been updated ot 1.2.3 even yet so maybe they stopped developing it, but I would recommend asking to take over and resurect it as with your ideas so the foundations are allready set which saves a lot of work Posted Image

Edit2: Sorry wrong link, it's at the original link but well hidden: http://www.satscape....home/?q=node/16
Edit3: It is updated Posted Image , this is even better since you can then share these ideas with the developer and thus understand how everything works better as well as have a person with an approproate skill set. This might actually happen Posted Image
Edit4: Going to sleep now, will read this tommorow morning *yawn*