A Way to Make Mossy Cobblestone

mossy cobblestone mossy cobblestone crafting

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

talameho
  • Minecraft: talameho

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

How to make Mossy Cobblestone
In order to make mossy cobblestone, you will need cobblestone and a new item, sea goop(not real name)

How to get the Sea Goop Thingy
You would retrieve this sea goop thingy by fishing.  If your fishing bobber bounces downwards and does not come up, you know you've got some!

Here's how it might look:(sorry for the humongous green piece of ... ?
http://imageshack.us...0/seagoopz.png/
There is no overpowered part of this, its not like mossy cobblestone is different than cool looking cobble.
You also need a fishing rod as well.
Don't Forget to Read This Part
If this annoys people since mossy cobble "should be a rare novelty item" then it can be a different tint of green, or this mossy cobblestone will be green, but normal dungeon mossy cobblestone should have red "veins" of color going through the rock instead.

Here's a possible texture:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This could also work for stone bricks btw...

Another use for the sea goop thingy is that you can place it like a block, when placed on a shoreline, it will attract squids.  This can be useful for capturing squids, or getting lots of xp.

I would change the title to "Sea Goop Thingy" if I could. Posted Image
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Clancy6
    Clancy6

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Minecraft: Clancy6

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

Or, What I thought was you should be able to surround it with vines

talameho

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostClancy6, on 28 March 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Or, What I thought was you should be able to surround it with vines

Can you do that now? Or is that just a suggestion?
Posted Image

xionico
    xionico

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • Minecraft: XxDJSUBZEROxX
  • Xbox:Jade_Exotics

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

But that takes away the point of mossy cobblestone being a rare and "valuable" block ingame..... I'd rather not have it craftable
All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry
-Edgar Allan Poe

laziecalvin
  • Minecraft: laziecalvin

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

Same here I kept it rare so it like a reward

talameho

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

View Postxionico, on 28 March 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

But that takes away the point of mossy cobblestone being a rare and "valuable" block ingame..... I'd rather not have it craftable

In the bottom part I mentioned something about this...

It involves perhaps more than one kind of mossy cobblestone.
Posted Image

redsand
    redsand

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Minecraft: redsand007

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

We don't need another kind of mossy or a way to craft it.  Some things in the game are more rare than others and they show off what you have done.  You have to work to get some blocks you want.  If you want unlimited blocks, play creative.

talameho

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

View Postredsand, on 28 March 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

We don't need another kind of mossy or a way to craft it.  Some things in the game are more rare than others and they show off what you have done.  You have to work to get some blocks you want.  If you want unlimited blocks, play creative.
Well why not?  You can make stone bricks, sandstone bricks, so why not mossy cobblestone and bricks?  
I DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE HATE THIS!
Posted Image

redsand
    redsand

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Minecraft: redsand007

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

View Posttalameho, on 28 March 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

Well why not?  You can make stone bricks, sandstone bricks, so why not mossy cobblestone and bricks?  
I DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE HATE THIS!

If I wanted everything handed to me on a silver platter, I would play creative.  I want to work to get my resources.  Work = Playing the game = Fun.

talameho

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

View Postredsand, on 28 March 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

If I wanted everything handed to me on a silver platter, I would play creative.  I want to work to get my resources.  Work = Playing the game = Fun.
Then explain to me why no one complained about the ability to craft stone bricks and sandstone bricks.
Posted Image

talameho

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

I added another use for the sea goop thingy, to make it more versatile.
Posted Image

bluemagic123
  • Location: At school, getting too much homework to sleep at night.
  • Minecraft: bluemagic123

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

No, there's a much better way. I will now disclose information of the renewable resources mod I'm making, even though I originally planned to keep details secret.
So, moss should grow, not be crafted. But how to do this while maintaining challenge? Simple. Four conditions must be met in order for cobblestone or cracked stone brick (which I think should be randomly obtained just by mining stone brick, similar to how stone gives you cobblestone) to become mossy.
1. It is next to mossy cobblestone or mossy stone brick. Corners and edges don't count!
2. It is next to water. Again, corners and edges don't count.
3. It is next to air. Again, corners and edges don't count.
4. The light level of every single block around it is lower than 7.

This way, it would be difficult to have large moss farms without monsters spawning.
In addition, the chance of moss growth would be proportional to the number of mossy blocks around a block that updates. 1/80 for one block, 1/60 for two, 1/40 for three, and 1/20 for four blocks around it. (Just for time reference, each time a netherwart updates, there is a 1/10 chance it will grow, and it has to grow three times before it's final stage.)

Dullstar
    Dullstar

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

The OP's idea is terrible.  However, I do like bluemagic's idea.

Posted Image

IAmBasedGod

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

not to hate your sea goop idea (Its really great btw, new items are cool), but I think slime balls could come first... though thinking how hard it is to find slimes, sea goop seems better, and cheaper.
So ya, thought ya, might like to go to the show, to feel the warm confusion that space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine, is this not what you expected to see? If you wanna find out whats behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

FishScream
  • Minecraft: FishScream

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Cobblestone + Bonemeal, perhaps?

MaladusSplitter
  • Minecraft: Maladus

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

What about putting the Cobblestone in water for idk 2-3 game days?
Posted Image

Ashley
    Ashley

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostMaladusSplitter, on 28 March 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

What about putting the Cobblestone in water for idk 2-3 game days?
Besite dirt with grass
It doesn't matter what game you play, as long as you have a good time when playing it and that it is a game that is good(if you want to know if the game you're playing is good, just ask).

mg127
    mg127

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1003 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

@OP if you want to have a working economy, you need rar materials, and mossy cobble are rar for a reason.
you wonder why no one complains about why stonebricks are craftable? notch made them craftable and thats it.
mossy and brocken stonebricks are still extremely rar and not craftable.

i think that the mossy cobble aren't that rar to have the need of making them craftable ... i usually have a few stacks of them in my chests
Posted Image

lolbot720

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Stone bricks are given to you because it's not hard to cut stone into bricks, in a game where 3 diamonds with a couple of sticks next to them makes an axe. Sandstone bricks for a similar reason.
Moss isn't "made" or "crafted". You have to actually find it. Being a rare item and having to fight to get it gives it worth.
And why would "sea goop" become moss? Are you thinking of algae? That isn't at the bottom of water.
Honestly, moss should just frow from other moss blocks, like bluemagic's idea.
- lolbot720, the guy who does the things
Posted Image

megaman16
  • Location: My mountain fortress, using a redstone powered laptop.
  • Minecraft: Megaman16

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

I see everyone's points here, but what if you simply have to put seeds, leaves, vines or even tall grass blocks surrounding a piece of cobblestone?  I mean, mossy cobblestone is rare, but it's not like having a lot of it means you're overpowered, some people just want to build with mossy cobblestone without having to find a dungeon, conquer it and use up pick power to get it all.
I used to put funny jokes here, then I took an arrow in the knee.  See what I did there?  It's not funny anymore, seriously.
Sometimes, you just need a little more cave.