• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Do leaves drop more items when you let them decay?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

secret21bobby

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Do leaves drop more items when you let them decay? IT turns out that no they do not i did a test and from my results they drop about the same as when you break them manually (In my test it dropped a little more when i broke them myself)

You can watch me test here:

I always thought that when u let them decay it dropped more but from my test i guess i was wrong.  What did you guys think?

Register or log in to remove.

Qweets
    Qweets

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • Minecraft: Qweets

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

weird if this is true thats awesome because I'm usually too impatient to wait around for them to decay manually. I wish they would up the decay speed

Qweets
    Qweets

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

I posted this as a youtube comment but I thought I'd post it here as well in case you didn't see the other.

"

I'm wondering if during the time you were doing the timelapse for the decaying ones if it went over 5 minutes because thats the item despawn timer so you could have actually lost some of the early items that dropped via leaf decay?"

dDuya
    dDuya

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

There's a better chance of getting a dropping if you do it manually.. I tested it out just now and the one I manually hit dropped more.

Qweets
    Qweets

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostdDuya, on 27 March 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

There's a better chance of getting a dropping if you do it manually.. I tested it out just now and the one I manually hit dropped more.

Just because it happened ONCE doesn't mean its actually true, there is a lot of random number generating going on for leaf drop items. For instance, you can roll a dice and get a 1 50 times in a row just by luck, the same applies to this, it could just be luck that you're getting more by hand, there would need to be a test of at least like 20-50 of the same test over and over to get a better idea of what is better if anything is better, it could be the same regardless of how the leaf goes away and just be luck.

bluemagic123
  • Location: At school, getting too much homework to sleep at night.
  • Minecraft: bluemagic123

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

*checks source code*
I can confirm that it does not matter whether they decay or you destroy them.

Qweets
    Qweets

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

View Postbluemagic123, on 27 March 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

*checks source code*
I can confirm that it does not matter whether they decay or you destroy them.

Can you post the code that confirms this please? Otherwise you're just spewing nonsense with no evidence to back it up :)

I mean no disrespect or anything I just really would LOVE to see that your info is true because now I can just destroy all the leaves so I don't have to wait anymore hah.

bluemagic123

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostQweets, on 27 March 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Can you post the code that confirms this please? Otherwise you're just spewing nonsense with no evidence to back it up Posted Image

I mean no disrespect or anything I just really would LOVE to see that your info is true because now I can just destroy all the leaves so I don't have to wait anymore hah.

Spoiler:
I believe this is sufficient enough.

secret21bobby

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

ahh thanks for even more proof :)

Qweets
    Qweets

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

View Postbluemagic123, on 27 March 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

Spoiler:
I believe this is sufficient enough.

Fantastic, thank you for providing what I wanted to know, this is a huge relief knowing this now. Thanks man!

samtwheelsisme

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

I never really thought about it. I guess that's good to know.

Jaxion08
  • Minecraft: The4thHorsemen

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

back in beta (or was it alpha? memory's gone to shit) when notch had decay disabled for a while when he turned it back on they did drop more if allowed to decay naturally. it only lasted for a little while though.

secret21bobby

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

im glad that you confirmed this in the code cause before i would always let the leaves decay on there own because it seemed like that was the way of getting more but now that i know its much better :)

View PostJaxion08, on 27 March 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

back in beta (or was it alpha? memory's gone to shit) when notch had decay disabled for a while when he turned it back on they did drop more if allowed to decay naturally. it only lasted for a little while though.
it was beta where that happend and maybe that is why people think that they still drop more with decaying like it did before

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

For me it was just a habit I picked up from beta to just let them decay.  My impression was that I 'seemed' to get more saplings that way.

While the code doesn't lie, it can be conflicted by other lines of code and thus cause unintended results.  However sounds like it doesn't matter, I'll use more manual removal and see how it goes.

Can someone point out the relevant portions of the posted code that dictates the chance on decay/breaking to drop a sapling?  Also how does the apples effect oak/apple tree drops. Could the apple drops lower their chances to drop a sapling?
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Rufus
    Rufus

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2231 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well I always get more drops from natural decay than punching leaves; but that's because I'm in creative 99.9% of the time and you get no drops at all from breaking them in creative.
Posted Image

darthmaulerX

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

This whole thread can be summed up with the old addage:

"A watched pot never boils."
When no one was looking, the Endermen took forty blocks.
They took 40 blocks. That’s as many as four tens. And that’s horrible.

RakiSuta

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

I always thought I got more when it decayed.. But I guess it doesn't matter.
Posted Image

Duhriceroll

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

There is a better chance of leaves decaying.

secret21bobby

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostDuhriceroll, on 27 March 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

There is a better chance of leaves decaying.
nope that is false proven in my video and that bluemagic123 checked the code and it was also proven wrong

bluemagic123

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

View Postrodabon, on 27 March 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

For me it was just a habit I picked up from beta to just let them decay.  My impression was that I 'seemed' to get more saplings that way.

While the code doesn't lie, it can be conflicted by other lines of code and thus cause unintended results.  However sounds like it doesn't matter, I'll use more manual removal and see how it goes.

Can someone point out the relevant portions of the posted code that dictates the chance on decay/breaking to drop a sapling?  Also how does the apples effect oak/apple tree drops. Could the apple drops lower their chances to drop a sapling?
Updated my code post explaining what each method does.