Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Possible to generate map from Google Earth?


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1

magcynic

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

Since you can "export" your maps into Google Earth, would it be possible to import Earth from Google Earth into Minecraft?
298 Days Until...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Register or log in to remove.

#2

MinetenanceMan

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

no.
And, imho, that's a pretty dumb question.
Posted Image

#3

blaster
    blaster

    Creeper Destroyer

  • Members
  • 6310 posts
  • Location: The land of four dimentions

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

It would be better to import it from a Heightmap of the world
I would love an option to play on the real earth, actual size, or scaled down.
The rebellion has already begun. Otter Forums

#4

magcynic

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

MinetenanceMan said:

no.
And, imho, that's a pretty dumb question.
Thanks for calling me dumb.  At least you did it "humbly".  That's like saying, "No offense, but you're an idiot."

I think many people would want to play on a recreation of Earth.  Especially if there was a way to pick and choose where you start.  I could even picture it being an official feature of Minecraft when it comes to full release.
298 Days Until...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

#5

disrespecting
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Minecraft: Disrespecting

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

It is possible to import a height map in to minecraft, and earth has been done before, theres a youtube video but i cant find it.

It wasn't on full scale though, but yeah.. It's possible.

#6

MinetenanceMan

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

magcynic said:

MinetenanceMan said:

no.
And, imho, that's a pretty dumb question.
Thanks for calling me dumb.  At least you did it "humbly".  That's like saying, "No offense, but you're an idiot."

I think many people would want to play on a recreation of Earth.  Especially if there was a way to pick and choose where you start.  I could even picture it being an official feature of Minecraft when it comes to full release.
*cough* The Sims™ *cough*
Posted Image

#7

magcynic

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

MinetenanceMan said:

magcynic said:

MinetenanceMan said:

no.
And, imho, that's a pretty dumb question.
Thanks for calling me dumb.  At least you did it "humbly".  That's like saying, "No offense, but you're an idiot."

I think many people would want to play on a recreation of Earth.  Especially if there was a way to pick and choose where you start.  I could even picture it being an official feature of Minecraft when it comes to full release.
*cough* The Sims™ *cough*

*cough* irrelevant *cough* *cough*

Seriously, guy.  Don't be lame.  We know the game can generate maps 8x larger than the area of Earth.  It should be natural to want a map of Earth itself.
298 Days Until...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

#8

MinetenanceMan

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

You have an idea. But instead of asking for it, you could be busy building something that looks like Earth.
Posted Image

#9

itsDario

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

ive seen prople import their map to google earth
and the video of the guy who imported a scaled down hight map of earth
sadly im too lazy to find to videos
brb if i do find them
edit

i found this one fast forward through the video
ill see if i get the other one
apparently putting you aim account in a forum makes you get a ton of aim spam

#10

Kris18
    Kris18

    Creeper Destroyer

  • Members
  • 5865 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

It would be interesting if we could, but I'm sure we can't, Dario. Unless he built it on his own.

Google Maps uses colors, and beta doesn't have colored cloth. also, how would it tell when to start a new block? How would it tell depth without using the very rarely-available 3d mode? There's so many variables, and it would take a very very advanced program to make something looking even half-decent.

i don't see it happening.

#11

blaster
    blaster

    Creeper Destroyer

  • Members
  • 6310 posts
  • Location: The land of four dimentions

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Kris18 said:

It would be interesting if we could, but I'm sure we can't, Dario. Unless he built it on his own.

Google Maps uses colors, and beta doesn't have colored cloth. also, how would it tell when to start a new block? How would it tell depth without using the very rarely-available 3d mode? There's so many variables, and it would take a very very advanced program to make something looking even half-decent.

i don't see it happening.

We only need two things
1. Biome map
http://www.blueplane... ... es_map.gif

2. Heightmap
http://www.printable... ... on-wik.jpg
The rebellion has already begun. Otter Forums

#12

magcynic

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

MinetenanceMan said:

You have an idea. But instead of asking for it, you could be busy building something that looks like Earth.

Which is, of course, impossible.  Seriously.  It's impossible to simply build a reasonably scale map of Earth in-game.  

All I'm saying is it would have to come from Notch.  He would probably have to change how blocks are stored and organized into something that could be transferred from Google Earth.
298 Days Until...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

#13

cKerensky

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Normal maps store more information than you need. You literally only need the ZAxis, so a terrain heightmap will do.
http://fc05.devianta..._by_elel302.jpg to be specific, would be better. The problem is, to get any real detail, you'd need a picture so huge, that each pixel would equal, lets say, 10 meters. That's a big image.

If I'm not mistaken, google earth is dynamically extrapolated from terrain data that's freely available, so even it doesn't keep a full 3d model of earth around. It just makes it as you go.

#14

MinetenanceMan

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

magcynic said:

MinetenanceMan said:

You have an idea. But instead of asking for it, you could be busy building something that looks like Earth.

Which is, of course, impossible.  Seriously.  It's impossible to simply build a reasonably scale map of Earth in-game.  

All I'm saying is it would have to come from Notch.  He would probably have to change how blocks are stored and organized into something that could be transferred from Google Earth.
Why do you think that isn't impossible then. He's a normal person, like you. If it's impossible for you(again: a human) then why wouldn't it be impossible for Notch(also human)?
Please explain.
Posted Image

#15

Kris18
    Kris18

    Creeper Destroyer

  • Members
  • 5865 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

blaster said:

Kris18 said:

It would be interesting if we could, but I'm sure we can't, Dario. Unless he built it on his own.

Google Maps uses colors, and beta doesn't have colored cloth. also, how would it tell when to start a new block? How would it tell depth without using the very rarely-available 3d mode? There's so many variables, and it would take a very very advanced program to make something looking even half-decent.

i don't see it happening.

We only need two things
1. Biome map
http://www.blueplane... ... es_map.gif

2. Heightmap
http://www.printable... ... on-wik.jpg
I'm thinking at a much more precise level. As in, the conditions are exactly as we made it in real life. Houses, roads, other buildings, etc, loaded in as well. I'm not talking about a start-over Earth. lol.

Oh, and that wouldn't be Google Earth/Maps. :iapprove:

#16

itsDario

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:45 PM




yoo here it is
not to scale or that great though
apparently putting you aim account in a forum makes you get a ton of aim spam

#17

magcynic

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

MinetenanceMan said:

magcynic said:

MinetenanceMan said:

You have an idea. But instead of asking for it, you could be busy building something that looks like Earth.

Which is, of course, impossible.  Seriously.  It's impossible to simply build a reasonably scale map of Earth in-game.  

All I'm saying is it would have to come from Notch.  He would probably have to change how blocks are stored and organized into something that could be transferred from Google Earth.
Why do you think that isn't impossible then. He's a normal person, like you. If it's impossible for you(again: a human) then why wouldn't it be impossible for Notch(also human)?
Please explain.

It's impossible for me because I would have to place each block by hand.  Notch, on the other hand, would only have to find a way for the map generation program to read height maps accurately.  I'm sure you can see the difference between a manual versus automated process.
298 Days Until...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

#18

triggerfin
    triggerfin

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 965 posts
  • Minecraft: Tfin

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

We have 127 meters elevation, maximum. 1 block needs to be kept as the world floor.

Mt. Everest = 8848 m.
Dead Sea = -420 m.
(Mariana Trench = -11033 m.)
Add, divide, and scale height: 1 block =73 meters (156.5 meters if we want to recreate sea floor features)
Burj Khalifa in Dubai = 828 m. Divide by 73, block height = 11.3 (5.2 w/M.T.)

The tallest building in the world, reduced to less than 4 floors. Of course, if you scale the other dimensions as well, that won't matter, as it will be just a single stack of blocks, at best. =D
Fan Metric: Franc Time!

#19

Vilborg
    Vilborg

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2769 posts
  • Location: The PAIN FOREST

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Minecraft is SO much more interesting in terms of geography.  Earth in Minecraft would be very bland and uninteresting.

K_Kinnison said:

If i were a mod, i would be destroying threads like a creeper at a hug-a-thon

Meddyan said:

That's right, this elevator is powered by MURDER and ANIMAL CRUELTY.

Denn said:

Manly blood is both highly acidic AND highly basic, but I'm glad to see you're paying attention.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20

RTLShadow
  • Location: Maricopa, AZ

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

People have done it, look at discovr.us and Coe's Quest, they both have it on google maps.

*cough* http://discovr.us/maps/coesquest/ *cough*

I win.

Posted Image